it's time for plausibly the best roleplaying videogame ever made

be warned

Witcher 3 is longer than an 18-month global pandemic

it outlasted two career-questioning spans of unemployment for me

3 Likes

I thought this was for D:OS2, but wow I should play The Witcher too

2 Likes

whoops, I got my epically long RPGs confused

you can clear Divinity: Original Sin 2 in a clean 90 hours or so!

3 Likes

has anyone started playin this again since they started releasing the new gift bag things? there are a lot of new options and content, some of them are more like cheats but others just add new weird stuff.

also, iā€™m about to start another play through now that i have more time in my schedule for like cerebral video games. i am thinking of doing a 2-person lone wolf party for something different, and i feel like being more deliberate about planning a BUILD but donā€™t really know where to begin

i know i want one person to be kind of a summoner/mage combo, but am having a hard time thinking of what would complement that well for the other person.

going to do either fane/ifan because i didnt use either of them before, or fane/red prince because fuck humans right?

also considering adding my own ā€˜role playingā€™ feature of making them a pair of debonair art thieves who also happen to be living gods or whatever the fuck the plot of the game is actually about. can i steal every painting?

1 Like

you should take a look at the user submitted campaigns, Iā€™ve been curious but havenā€™t had the time

I will never finish this game and most likely never play it again, but I gotta say it lives in my memory as one of the most interesting and bizarre game experiences Iā€™ve ever had. I think about it like once a week

1 Like

are these available on console? i only have the ps4 version

oh, idk

this game is a LOT easier on lone wolf mode w / 2 ppl, wow

decay is still op though

early in this game you can get a black cat to follow you around (for a quest i presume) and thereā€™s a whole area of the starting prison camp you have to avoid or a guard will shoot him to death for no reason and i hate that

trying in earnest to get into this game for the third time but i am rebuffed by cat death zone

and every combat ending with me dead + poisoned + on fire

3 Likes

yeah i really like in theory the idea of a cat following you around for mysterious reasons, but hate in practice the way it basically means there are just certain areas you can never visit for fear of accidental cat death

but as long as you remember to not go to that area where the guards will just wantonly shoot the cat, i think it is not that easy to get it killed accidentally? it still just kind of sucks though

pity the poor Dogmeat, canonically killed by its AIs inability to avoid standing in damaging laser walls

1 Like

Iā€™m honestly confused why Iā€™m not enjoying playing this game more. I love the idea of playing Red Prince and Fane as two bickering, pissy assholes constantly in danger of getting killed for mouthing off to the wrong person, with Sebille as sort of the silent muscle of the group constantly pulling their asses out of the fire. (I canā€™t think of a canon reason why Lohse sticks around beyond thereā€™s obviously something seriously wrong with her and noone else would probably appreciate her company).

But for some reason I just canā€™t find enough passion to power through the starting island. Iā€™m not sure why I keep bouncing off this game but I imagine once I can start respeccing for free I might have more fun with the battle system?

yeah the first island is kind of a drag. a lot of the game is just kind of opaque and the first time i played i remember doing a lot of random wandering around just trying to figure out how to scrape enough experience together to get to a level where i was actually able to do the next phase of the main quests. itā€™s really bizarre how much easier the game becomes with lone wolf and only 2 ppl

i think part of the problem is the battle system is really the most engaging when you have lots of different options, but at the beginning you donā€™t have enough memory slots to hold more than a few skills for each person, so after you use all of them you are stuck with your basic attack which is always very weak and it just becomes a chore

another thing that makes battles a lot more enjoyable is getting the movement-related skills like tactical retreat etc. i think the first time i played i underestimated how important they are. that and liberal use of teleport are really way more important mechanics than they seem at first.

in other news about this game i have been playing as fane with ifan as my only companion, the way ifan is written is so weird. also my hope was for them to become this kind of odd couple bro-team where fane is the weird introspective wizard who is good at breaking into shit and setting stuff on fire and ifan is handy with the bow and also does all of the talking and purchasing while fane just awkwardly stands in the background worrying about how much eye contact is too much. though they have little in common the bond forged on the battlefield becomes a great friendship.

everything was going swimmingly but they now appear to have fallen in love which isā€¦ fine, i guess. the part of this game that is a dating sim is handled very awkwardly but i hope their relationship continues to blossom.

5 Likes

yeah i keep bouncing off this game in fort joy too. im going to try and stick with it this time, but i keep whipping between choice paralysis at all the party/skill building thrust onto you right away, and trying to wing it but then getting my ass kicked by the immediately very demanding combat

Seriously itā€™s wild just how many early fights start with someone immediately lighting my whole party on fire lol

whatā€™s the coolest school of magic? polymorph? i picked aerothurge and scoundrel at character creation, the latter unlocked a really useful sounding talent (1 AP of free movement action per round) but im not really attached to the former

1 Like

another tip i have for fort joy i guess is donā€™t really worry too much about long term character creation stuff, just do the things that seem the most practical in the short term. a lot of the other, weirder, groups of skills donā€™t get fun or interesting shit until later in the game. i think warfare, huntsman, and pyromancy have the most practical early-level skills, but honestly if you just work with whatever seems ā€˜naturalā€™ based on the characters you chose you should be fine. (as long as you get teleportation gloves). if you find a random drop of a skillbook that seems useful, use it without worrying too much about whether or not it fits your ā€˜buildā€™

as soon as you leave fort joy you will be able to respec completely, so choices you make on fort joy wrt skill point assignment literally do not matter at all. the rest of the game will make it much easier to figure out strategies that work based on builds youā€™ve made deliberately, but in fj youā€™re really stuck with a very limited number of options so you just gotta be pragmatic.

another thing i underestimated the first time i played is how important money is - at first it seems like it is really difficult to earn any money in the game, but itā€™s actually really good to get in the habit of just selling random shit.

money seems useless at first because most of the equipment you can buy early on is overpriced and not really better than random drops, but, again, once you leave fort joy everything kind of changes and there are multiple easy to find vendors who sell all of the basic skill books you need to respec completely. so if you have a good amount of cash saved up you will be able to actually capitalize on respeccing once you get off the first island.

1 Like

oh and wrt getting your ass kicked - if the enemies youā€™re fighting are the same level as you, i guess it could be a strategic problem. there are a lot of ā€˜ambushesā€™ on fj before youā€™re prepared to like strategically position people before dialogue.

but if one of your characters is locked in a dialogue that sounds like itā€™s going south, you can actually switch to other party members during the dialogue sequence and move them to other locations (high ground, etc). or you can just get in the habit of saving all the fuckin time and reloading if you end up fighting a battle you didnā€™t expect to

if youā€™re getting your ass kicked by enemies that are higher level than you, you probably just need to go somewhere else and level up before trying that encounter again. it sucks imo but leveling up can really even the odds even if the stat gains you get seem marginal

oh other skills that are more useful than they seem at first is everything related to shields - because your equipment sucks so much on fort joy its easy to underestimate the importance of physical/magical armor. but itā€™s way more important than health, because it prevents status effects. so try to prioritize keeping shields up in tough fights w potions and whatnot

3 Likes

Thank you for the tips!! Thatā€™s all super helpful. I keep kinda bumbling around not being sure if im learning the right lessons or making the right moves, it helps a lot to have some guidance but also know thatā€™s sort of the intended experience lol

1 Like

I also appreciate the help! Iā€™m playing on tactician fwiw, and I like the idea of having fights that are basically just unwinnable at the beginning but I couldnā€™t tell if its because im supposed to be outmatched or just because my random assignment of character classes sucks. I never even thought to look at enemy levels, but just having fought the crocodiles at one level below and then again at the same level, it made a huge difference. (One level below - perfect RNG and exacting placement before the fight and I was one or two hits away from beating it before getting killed; same level - I steamrolled em without losing any characters)

2 Likes

my wife just finished playing through this game and now she is just watching youtube videos of different builds for hours keeps telling me ā€˜iā€™m turning into you, iā€™m watching videos of white men playing video games nowā€™ i think this is like the official game of this household now

also excuse me what does race have to do with it

but sheā€™s right i guess

8 Likes