Is the New Blame! Movie Good?

A few years ago, I bought that Blame! DVD with the six five-minute episodes on it. Despite being so short, it managed to be boring. They called it “an experimental animation,” but I found the animation to be simply weak. It’s a shame, because the cover had looked promising.

I think my ideal Blame! adaptation would largely consist of exploration of the environment. Kind of like that Junk Head 1 short film from a few years ago, which I found to be at its best when none of the characters were saying anything. (I recommend it if you haven’t seen it.)

If anyone has seen the new Netflix-produced Blame! film, I would be interested to hear a verdict. If I had Netflix, I’d just try it out myself. But I don’t want to sign up for a month just for this and then be disappointed. The few reviews I’ve come across so far seem mixed.

It sounds like the new “Master Edition” of the Blame! comics is very nice. I’ve almost purchased the first volume a few times, but it’s hard to commit to that kind of investment.

the blame Netflix adaptation doesn’t try to adapt the whole story from the manga actually - it adapts a single slice from the comic that just gives the barest possible information about the set up.

its basically a showcase of killy being awesome. I think it does a fair enough job of showcasing the city

There are torrents out for it, unless those aren’t an option for whatever reason.

Yeah it’s worth a torrent. I enjoyed it the one time I watched it. It sets up the background for the city pretty well and I kind of want to see them do another movie based around another particular subplot from the manga.

I was surprised that it was something of an adaptation with recognisable characters, locations and story beats rather than an additional chapter that could have been slotted in anywhere within the rest of the story.

Strangely, I found the stiffness of the animation worked in its favour once things got more explosive along with more active shots. Also odd is the choice of score which they also somehow managed to pull off.

Cibo is still cool.

Overall, it’s fine but it’s just there.

I’ve actually warmed up to it more since. As far as creators revisiting their landmark works with their more contemporary sensibilities goes, I certainly enjoyed it a lot more than the last Alien movie.

I will say the movie was good enough to get me to check out the manga again and since the hard drive I had all my comics and stuff on from ye olde SB 1.0 share threads was dead I just ordered a physical copy.

Which just arrived today.

2 Likes

Okay, I watched the Netflix movie and I liked it. It works well as a supplement to the full story, and it made me want to read the comic through again. I’m still tempted to start collecting the print version.

Apparently, they announced at a recent film festival that there will be another Blame! film.

My copy of the first volume arrived in the mail today. What an attractive book. There are other comics I’d like to see get this treatment. Hardcover would be nice, but that would make it even more prohibitively expensive. I guess I will pick up a volume every so often, as my budget allows.

It’s been a while since I last read it (when it was posted in the thread you mentioned), so I have forgotten a lot and it will be fun to revisit.

1 Like

Nice! I’ve been reading my first volume in bits and pieces, one or two “logs” at a time. It’s a good bathroom book.