Into the dungeons of Fear & Hunger...

I’ve been playing this commercial RPG Maker game called Fear & Hunger and I wanted to tell you about it. Please let the game’s soundtrack that I linked below play as you read.

Fear & Hunger feels like an RPG Maker game in many respects, but it’s less about fighting enemies than reducing the threat they pose and weighing the risk/rewards of engaging with them at all as you, playing one of a few established archetypes, descend into the kingdom’s worst war dungeons that has itself descended into hellish depravity unknown to mortals and glimpsed only in horrifying fairy tales about old gods and times of even harsher violence. There is gear to collect, key and consumable items to lodge in your inventory, recipes to craft… it’s a real RPG but with its power-gaming values reordered into a more desperate configuration, I think.

It is stylistically a very dark game, with really blunt depictions of sexual violence. I would not be quick to defend this against criticisms that it is edgy. But the tension inherent to the combat (limb-based targeting with disabling consequences) and the horror of exploration and discovery is just… exceptional, really.

The dungeon is intricate and full of horrifying color, with nooks of possibly friendly cultures and ever more awful hostilities. Progression is achieved mostly just by risking, which is of course difficult to do when you are so vulnerable and when a literal coin toss could be the difference between you losing an arm you needed to wield your crummy and only spear weapon. Yes, there is a coin toss system in the game. Collect ‘lucky’ coins to give you better odds whenever fortune or misfortune finds you, such as with a maiming attack by an enemy or any time you want to save without being assaulted in your sleep. This is a very survival horror element that makes saving your game feel like a huge decision to make. There are many save locations that can be made safe or which aren’t actually all that dangerous. And since it’s still just a videogame, if you relax for a minute and give the game a bit of your time you can of course progress.

It’s just that knowledge is key.

I’ve been playing for 8 hours or so over the past week and I am noticing that around this game is that aura of the early times when a Fromsoftware adventure title has just released and there aren’t any guides or fool-proof strategies yet established. And, unless some streamer makes this masochore horror adventure RPG do the impossible by becoming wildly popular, I don’t think that aura is ever really going to dissipate around Fear & Hunger–as it is already several years old. It’s a game with a cult following too weak (or too reverent of the sense of adventure that the game inspires) to really pad out a wikia page with drop-rates let alone maps or a walkthrough. There is also a slight language factor in the obscurity of this game, as I don’t believe the developer’s first language is English.

I’m playing this game and every night learning a little more about the dungeon and the god curs’d dealings going on in it… yet I have no one to share it with.

So I made this thread to introduce you to the game and to set down my soap stone messages, so to speak, for anyone who might become interested enough to play. It’s a cheap game on its own, but I am sure that with the start of the halloween season steam sale tomorrow it will become at least slightly cheaper. And if you end up buying it, post in the thread to let me know. Ask for tips! Offer some too because, hell, I don’t know what’s going on down here in the dungeons of Fear & Hunger…

34 Likes

Damn it’s crazy what you can make in RPG Maker these days. I’d like to make something cool and not a joke like my other RPGM games, but I guess no matter what at some point you just gotta start making a whole lotta art.

6 Likes

This is a prototypical “Mikey buys it during a sale because it looks cool but never gets around to playing it” game, so I guess I’ll pick this up if it goes on sale in the next few months.

9 Likes

My friend and her partner who likes almost nothing both really liked this game and were telling me about it a while ago! There’s a sequel but I can’t remember if she liked it more or less.

I really aughtta actually pick it up one of these days

7 Likes

the sequel is yet to be released, but it looks great and quite different! it is not directly related to the story of this game but set within the same world, taking place 300 years after the first in the year 1942 i think. no release date yet but the dev is active and assures it is being worked on.

also, Fear & Hunger is just $5.50 this week!

6 Likes

As the prophecy foretold I bought this. I’ll let you know how I like it sometime before the end of the decade.

8 Likes

bought this and tried it last night before bed for a couple of minutes. died on the very first screen twice. i love player-agnostic games and i am looking forward to checking out more.

5 Likes

Yesss. When you start the game and hear distant barks becoming less distant, I surprised myself and intuited that those dogs would actually appear and mess me up if I didn’t get inside. I still have never seen what they look like.

Since you have started playing, I’ll sketch a few helpful tips that will let you find some momentum for exploring:

1. Inspect every box, barrel, and pick up any object off the ground you can. This is how you find everything from gear to food and medical items. Book shelves can be searched for literature, and magical scrolls.
  2. It’s usually not worth getting into fights, but some enemies can be reliably and safely killed if you learn how to fight them. Think of enemies as puzzles. You can bait them into doing things, or prevent them from doing things. But just because you know how to disable some enemies from wrecking you right away doesn’t mean they don’t have other methods, and so combat is still usually not worth engaging with if you don’t have to.
  3. You ALWAYS have the first attack in this game. Figure that into your combat strategies. One of the earliest enemies you encounter can be disabled right away, allowing you to basically have two free turns. You can take advantage of this process by cutting off one of their limbs, and then running away only to jump right back into combat to take the first turn once again.
  4. The first bed you are likely to find (with a broken statue of a woman holding a crow) is interesting because if you lose the coin toss you are likely going to die, but if you defeat the threat that appears you have a permanent save zone. I have never killed the threat that appears. Try not to lose the coin toss there, but get yourself saved ASAP because it’s easier to explore when you have your first step into the dungeons secured like that.
5 Likes

thank you for the tips! always a huge fan of zelda 1 schoolyard chat approach to playing games…

6 Likes

I bought this and may not get around to playing it for a very long time but I am very excited to play it

2 Likes

The sequel is out!! No idea about its quality, but I bet if this were to intrigue you at all then it wouldn’t be a mistake to play this game before or even instead of the original.

5 Likes