[infohazard] psychotic and dissociative states in media

midsommar is pretty good trip imagery but the baseline reality of the film was never really in question, imo

la la land… yeah maybe! it’s been a while though, i forget how immersive they are

I do think there’s something about musicals, like the logic of reality in them, which makes them kind of surreal in this way. Haven’t watched it in a while but, relatedly, the film Madeline’s Madeline might be a fit for this topic. Edit: Well, actually I’m not sure I remember that film enough to say whether it is about this stuff or if it comes close to having a similar affect. The affect is what I guess we’re after here.

1 Like

Oh, speaking of musicals

The Legend of the Stardust Brothers certainly feels like a film-length dissociative state

2 Likes
1 Like

No joke: Yu-Gi-Oh. Someone dissociates literally every episode even in the US dub.

2 Likes
Milk outside a bag of milk outside a bag out milk

9 Likes

the new Nathan Fielder show, The Rehearsal, feels psychotic and dissociative to watch and is just in general kind of psychotic and dissociative.

5 Likes

i was not in a state to follow any plot but this was a gorgeous time thanks

1 Like

watched this out of nowhere and wasn’t prepared for how strongly it felt like a depersonalization episode

4 Likes

a lot of people know about wax or discovery of television among the bees (also on yt if you dont though. its cool!!) so heres this. its in 3 parts. i really love this movie

5 Likes
6 Likes

had to think a bit about whether this counts but it worked on me. something about the way it never fully lets the audience in on the non-jokes

5 Likes

Jeff Vandermeer’s ‘Southern Reach’ trilogy is good for this.
The movie adaptation of the first book, Annihilation, is a treat as well.

1 Like

David Lynch movies obviously. Anything with dream logic or entangled semantic fluidity. Spyro the Dragon was this for me, as was Undertale and to a lesser extent Yoko Taro games. Silent Hill series very oddly not this, to the confusion of my boyfriend. The Bible is this to more people in the world than any other text and they don’t even realize it.

1 Like

oh yeah weird i didn’t mention it frankly! i loved the way the film played with identity and consciousness, and while the books were less immediately arresting they got nice and heady towards the end there

1 Like

oh fascinating! i don’t remember much about the games but i recall it being pretty straightforward … was it just a matter of timing for you? or

1 Like

Mostly timing. I wrote three blog posts, one about each game, on dancefighterredux.wordpress.com

1 Like