IMMORTALITY

Started playing this and somehow 69 minutes passed in what felt like 10. Super hooked on it.

5 Likes

haha, same thing happened to me. I planned on playing for maybe half an hour after installing it and ended up playing all night.

3 Likes

Based on the XBOX achievements, I’ve uncovered all of the clips but not all of the hidden ones. But I wouldn’t even know where to look for more of those at this point, so I think I’m done. (I did find those additional layered ones, thanks to the tips in this thread.)

The way I found the last few scenes was to select clapboards and Marissa’s face repeatedly. I assume it’s not totally random because I got new scenes at a greater frequency than I’d think I would have were it totally random.

I wonder if it’s a little weird for the actors to know that everyone is scrutinizing and manipulating the footage the way this game requires you to.

4 Likes

Also, everyone, Matthew G. Lewis’ The Monk, which Ambrosio is an adaptation of, is a riot of a book. High recommendation.

7 Likes

I don’t understand the organization of the grid when the UI shows a calendar nex to the icon for the right trigger. It’s not chronological.

Man, Mitsky seems like it would be an unbearably annoying movie lol

1 Like

It’s great, it feels aesthetically aligned with Abel Ferrara’s Driller Killer, a movie that sucks ass except for the behind the scenes stuff (namely, Ferrara making a bunch of sleazy comments about women in the director’s commentary)

4 Likes

the calendar sorting presents the clips in order of when they were filmed, the other sorting orders the clips according to the film chronology

1 Like

Been thinking about how cool it is that the movie plots are subtext to the lives of the actual characters, whose lives and experiences are themselves subtext of the surface level reality of the film clips and crew/cast characters presented therein

I am missing ONE clip. Was able to verify this using a spoilery list on Reddit of all the scenes by scene number and date. So my friend who knows a lot about the game is going to give me a good clue about it sometime soon so I can finally 100% the game. My computer is too hot and the temperature here is too awful for me to continue cycling on characters and objects. It’s in Ambrosio, 100%ed the other two movies already.

Love this game!! So glad I took the time to hunt down (almost) everything else after getting credits!

4 Likes

Oh, 100%

That’s why I can’t watch it as three different films that are to be evaluated as films in their own right, they’re all just parts of a singular narrative about the people who made those films (this is another reason the kotaku review fails so deeply, it takes the diegetic film plots as what the game is about, rather than the lives and experiences of the people making those films)

3 Likes

I was also glad I took the time to collect the rest of the clips. Otherwise, I might never have seen the one where Ambrosio falls off the cliff. (The only time I ever used the “favorite” feature was to mark this clip as a favorite.)

2 Likes

was this the rear projection sequence? it was delightful haha

Got 100% yesterday! the clip I was missing was the series Marissa runs in Ambrosio reacting to Ambrosio getting tortured. Was hard to find because she’s like, the only thing in that shot haha.

1 Like

this was real compelling though i have to admit a whole bunch of the “writing” and “acting” did make my eyes roll out of my head

but anyway i did want to touch on one mechanic–

mostly because i don’t think i saw it mentioned here-- when you’re scrolling the big grid of clips you can actually pick up on the spooky-fuzz-sound audio clue as you get close to one that has a secret clip in it. i think it actually specifically flags ones that you haven’t seen before, but i don’t quite know the details because it also seemed to like go on cooldown or something after i found one, i wouldn’t hear the sound in that view again for a while

i don’t think this is really that useful once you’re keyed into the fact that the sound means there’s a secret clip, i assume most people don’t just leave them behind after that, but it was useful for scrolling through and finding ones i’d missed in my first hour or two before i’d realized that was the rule

11 Likes

I never found myself inclined to be too critical toward anything in the three movies because they were presented as movies and you can expect most movies to have a lot of silliness. But the hidden clips sometimes bugged me because they were supposed to be more “real,” even as I appreciated what they were trying to do. The first couple I stumbled upon were pretty shocking but that effect wore off when I saw more of them. I thought the ones embedded in the movie sets and scenes generally worked much better than the ones with black backgrounds.

6 Likes

My gf and I played this game for about three hours tonight. We got so sucked in. Our first encounter with a secret clip was one of the most startling and memorable horror video game moments I’ve ever experienced. It was a clip from Ambrosio in which the lead hunk of a monk sees Marissa appear as the virgin Mary, first in a painting, and then in the flesh. Up to this point, we’d noticed some weirdness with the controller rumbling at odd times. At first I thought maybe it was a bug, or my controller needed new batteries. But then I noticed that a few clips had creepy background tones come in alongside the rumble, so I figured it was some kind of secret. When I noticed the vibration/tone combo in that Ambrosio clip, I tried to figure out whether I could do anything with it. I thought maybe I needed to select an object during that part of the clip. While scrolling backwards into that moment, suddenly Marissa as the virgin Mary was replaced by another, quite creepy looking actress in her place. The clip then started playing backwards in the timeline, but forward in its motion and sound, as this new Mary said some cryptic and creepy stuff. My gf and I nearly fell off of the couch, we were so startled! Super effective jump scare, and amazing atmosphere. I’m sure this went exactly as intended by the developers too – I was misdirected into thinking I needed to click an object, and in trying to do so I inadvertently triggered the secret. It’s really clever!

6 Likes

This is the exact clip that I first had that experience too!

1 Like

Wow! That feels like a huge coincidence, but who knows, maybe it was the subtle hand of the designer? I definitely did see other clips with secrets like that before I finally figured it out there.

Oh, did anyone else look at the cast lists on these entries?

There’s one cast member (The Immortal) listed in all three movies that is notably identified as Eve

2 Likes

I’m curious about how it makes sense for a third-party developer not funded by Microsoft to put their game on Game Pass on release day. I gather that Game Pass originally paid developers based on how much their game was played, but they’ve since changed that and might, for example, pay a set amount to a developer up front.

An interview with a different developer talked about how Game Pass works for them because they sell a lot of DLC, but that clearly isn’t what’s happening here.

Everything I’ve read about music streaming services indicates that musicians get next to nothing unless they are extremely popular, and I wonder if this is anything like that.

Really, what I’m trying to decide is whether I need to buy the game on Steam to support the developer’s future work even though I’ve already played it on XBOX.

3 Likes

When I joked about leaving Boyfriend Dungeon idling Busted had this to say

I don’t know if this is still the case but the Steam purchase would help too

I bought a couple of people copies to play while frothing at the mouth and unable to explain why — didn’t want to give the game away so I gave it away instead

5 Likes