If I were to Get a Mac (lol)

just remembered the time marco made a good, free content blocker as soon as that became a thing and the rest of that clique bullied him into killing it

Function keys are immensely mapped in pro media software (in addition to being used in technical software). I’m a hardliner when it comes to the touchbar redefining what ‘Pro’ means to Apple.

1 Like

I could accept a near future split between ARM for general purpose stuff and CUDA for high end compute where x86 doesn’t provide any real advantages other than legacy compatibility but this interregnum sucks ass

they discontinued the 2015 mbp and… i’m pretty bummed out about that

has usb-c been catching on? i rarely see any mass-market peripherals using it, but i also don’t go shopping for that stuff a ton.

maybe this is a sign of me being an old dude but i would rather have a nice button on my keyboard that i can program to do a thing vs a touch screen that i have to stop typing and LOOK DOWN AT to use to make sure i’m touching the right thing.

wake me up when we have morphic displays

USB-C is only really catching on for charging / docks / superseding some individual mini-DP or mini-HDMI outs. there isn’t really another class of “generic USB device” these days – for the last four years I’ve used a notebook that only has one USB port, and I’ve only really needed it in favour of bluetooth when I hose my boot and need live media to chroot from, which is not a terribly common use case. Broco mentioned a yubikey above which is one of the only things I’ve even seen ship in a dedicated USB-C form factor and it’s very much an Engaged Tech Person product. mostly it’s a port which is designed to replace non-USB ports (though, as Sakurina said, not at all consistently across devices) and have other dongles connected to it.

which is fine-ish, it’s only my desktop that needs to plug in a webcam and connect lots of non-bluetooth controllers periodically, I just don’t need four of the damn things while paying a premium to lose my function keys

1 Like

man, your experience with bluetooth must be vastly better than mine, because i find bluetooth stuff miserable to the point where I actively avoid it or at least make sure I can hook up a physical cable to the thing if need be.

i am a Wired Weirdo though

yes I am a particularly weird genre of computer user who will regularly be like “whoops time to rebuild my bootloader from scratch” and is highly invested in the tertiary instruction sets of new CPUs but who is also totally cool with x86 and OpenGL being deprecated and likes to use the most aggressively modern technologies whenever possible

we actually exist in the Arch community but I’d still like to get off Linux for a little while at this point and having both my desktop and notebook be Windows for any length of time is professionally inconvenient

Still blown away that you told someone to wait until Thunderbolt 5 in this thread. You’re on some John Titor stuff.

3 Likes

people have been speculating that PCIe4 might not be widely adopted before they rush to finalize 5 and get controllers on the market!

4 lanes of PCIe4 would just barely not bottleneck a Titan X for example, and that should become the high end mainstream equivalent of a 1070 by the time the PS5 ships in a couple years, so

1 Like

Hard sci-fi

1 Like

May this 2015 13" MBP never die and my prospective employers allow BYOD

If they skip Ice Lake for the ARM MacBook, petition to have a new laptop thread called Dude, You’re Getting a Dell

4 Likes

Hell yeah

Anyway that’s mostly down to whether Intel can actually ship a 10nm/LPDDR4 package with graphics that aren’t a downgrade on 14nm before the end of next year, and based on the available evidence and given they can afford to, I’m expecting Apple to hedge their bets. And I’d probably buy an ARM Macbook at this point over an x86 device, if my hard cutoff to replace my current machine is early 2020. We’ll see!!!

hey @Felix and @doolittle i just got an early 2015 MBP from a mate, what should i do to set it up? they deleted their user so i’m logged into Admin, should i like… make another account to use for day-to-day instead?

or like, properly wipe the thing? Vuze is installed on here idk if that’s a security risk

it’s running High Sierra, 10.13.6

nah, you don’t need to make a separate account for yourself unless you want to!

i’d upgrade it to mojave at least for dark mode, but not catalina quite yet

1 Like

I would wipe it back to a stock Mojave install yeah

1 Like

catalina still grim then?

uh huh uh huh! thank thank

uhh is it known when Catalina might get usable?

Just in case, the key combo for recovery to the OS currently installed is holding Cmd+R while booting.

Catalina is fine* but very annoying. They put everything in a sandbox so it’s not unlike the constant permission dialogs in Vista.

* unless there’s a particular 32-bit app you need to run, in which case never upgrade.

Mojave will get security patches through 2021 and you can hide the Catalina upgrade prompts so I honestly wouldn’t even think about deliberately axing 32-bit compatibility until then unless you need to develop for Catalina for whatever reason or you want apple Arcade compatibility

2 Likes

okok i installed mojave and was about to reformat but it gave the option to format it encrypted??

i’m aware you can set it to encrypt later and if you do it like that you can link it to your apple id or whatever which could be nice. but like, is that smth i’d wanna do? does it affect uhh like performance or anything if i set that during setup as opposed to right at the point of formatting?