4 Likes
1 Like

speaking of Tetris music

2 Likes

holy shit. the sound is so glitchy and weird on those levels I never realized

1 Like

streets of rage og

3 Likes

If you want, the Garegga Ltd Edition came with a book where one of the composers lists off albums that inspired him. I can try to write that up for you if you don’t have it.

2 Likes

A list of albums mentioned. I don’t read Japanese, so I am just gonna Google translate the commentary and give a summary for each if I can. It looks like some of these are later released compilations but they’ve included their recent releases:

Summer Carnival '92 Recca OST (released in 2005)

Mentions that some of the programmers from this game worked on Garegga. Also right away gives a shout out to the Underground Resistance record that nocode posted (or a similar compilation).

Various Artists, "The Art of Noise: The FON Mixes" (1991)

Mostly just talks about mixes they liked from this album.

Sueno Latino, "Sueno Latino" (2015)

Apparently a remix of Manuel Gottching's E2-E4 from 1984 that shows German Prog Rock as an influence on techno, which then Namiki loves German Prog, apparently. Shouts out to Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, King Crimson, Genesis. This rerelease also has some additional remixes, but the original version is from 1989 and is up on Spotify.

Opus III, "Mind Fruit" (1992)

Specifically shouts out to the first two tracks on this album as big Garegga influences.

Various Artists, "Remix Trax, Vol 7 - Cosmic Soul" (1994)

Detroit techno compilation by the magazine REMIX. Mentions Naomi Daniels "Stars (Formula)" and Derrick May's "Icon" (tracks 4 and 9 respectively). Also says that he feels Battle Garegga was (excuse the Google Translate here) "duplicated in the world that Detroit techno people wants to express". He draws some connections between the steampunk of Garegga, the desparate situations of African American people in the Detroit Techno scene, and something called (from katakana) Shyutoro Future (no clue). It's a lot!
There are five more listed in the article. I will try to get those up soon.
3 Likes