I went through the US PS3 all games collum and made this text dump

Is there any solid basis for this, because I haven’t found anything conclusive. Generally speaking the CMOS battery/real-time clock is only there to save the time while the system doesn’t have power. Once booted the time can be set as normal.

There’s talk about this issue going back to 2010 and the conclusion back then seemed to be that the worst case is it requires replacing the battery. If PS3 uses one of the established, public NTP servers then that might not even be necessary if the system is connected to the network.

There’s potentially a lot of ways around this, but I’d like to know the specifics on what does/doesn’t work. Back in 2010 a lot of people seemed to be able to play their games after removing the battery completely. I’m not quite sure what is going on here.

1 Like

i was hoping to get more info too honestly. i cant find anything really, but my memories of having to reset a clock every time i turn a console on, which leads me to believe this could be real, but i probably wont actually know until people’s ps3 clock batteries start dying

Saw it mentioned that the apparent reason that you would be unable to boot games on PS4 (have not read any mention yet of this being the case on any of the other consoles) when the internal clock battery dies and the console can no longer time sync to a server is to make sure you don’t destroy the sanctity of the Game Trophies. Just imagine if you could play your game offline and set the internal clock to 7 days prior, suddenly when you bring it online again and your trophy data syncs you might have cheated your friends into thinking you had “earned” that Trophy a whole week before you actually did! Complete anarchy.

2 Likes

i can believe that since they ban vita users for trophy cheating much more than they do for piracy

Realized they are shutting off these servers because they are canablizing Playstation Japan and no doubt this is all Japan software.

So I found this google drive document explaining the issue, which has been dubbed CBOMB. It appears that the PS3 and 4 require the time to be set via the network if the internal clock is reset due to a dead battery, etc. Until the time has been set by whatever this trusted source is, DRM prevents access to digital games and supposedly even game discs on PS4.

However, the good news is that syncing the time doesn’t require signing in to PSN, just network access. This makes me wonder if it is just an NTP(network time protocol) server somewhere. If so, I think this could be easily spoofed in the worst case.

Someone needs to do a network capture to see what is happening here. For all we know it may not even be a Sony server that is providing the time.

At this point I’m not overly concerned, but if you are really paranoid you may want to replace your CMOS battery now.

1 Like

Reminds me that I want to get a Super Slim and create a new PSN account and play Elemental Monster Online Card Game again, if it’s still available, because that would be gone forever and I don’t know if piracy can bring it back.

I really wanna try network capturing to see what would be needed to make the single player campaign work offline, I enjoyed that so god damn much. Not that I have any idea how to do that.

2 Likes

Japanese Store

If you buy a PCEngine or PS1 game you are a fool but especially a PCEngine game though I see Lords and Gates of Thunder and Devil’s Crush.

Japanese PS2

(Kaze Ame Raiku) 1 and 2 seem chill need to investigate unsure the reading
KoF Maximum Impact Max/2/Regulation A
Demento
Ka 2 (Mr Mosquito)
Gradius V
Romancing SaGa
Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 1 and 2
Twinkle Star Sprites 3D
KoF 94 Rebout
Armodyne (hi tim)
KoF XI
Ape Escape 3
Wild Arms Vth Vanguard (hi tim)

I don’t believe either of those tim games are good

Sonic Heroes
Phantasy Star Generations 1 and 2
Fantasy Zone Complete Collection
Sengoku Basara 2
Galaxy Force 2

Shadow The Hedgehog
Psyvariar Complete
Capcom Fighting Jam
Phantasy Star Complete
Katamari Damacy
Space Harrier Complete
Gunstar Heroes Collection
Neo Contra
Castlevania LoI
Dynamite Deka
Shin Contra
Siren
Dragonforce

1 Like

I made this sheet. Enjoy.

6 Likes

i really should get short peace before the price goes crazy

1 Like

I remember I bought it for 15 bucks and then when I told friends to get it it was 40 so yeah probably!

I’m trying to think of PS3 titles that are already somewhat expensive or may go up in the future. Splatterhouse comes to mind. I’ve been looking for the HK version of Toro Let’s Party that’s in English and it seems to be rare but also has no demand.

it would be cheaper to learn japanese and buy a japanese copy of Aquanaut’s Holiday than to find an SEA english copy.

1 Like

Afrika is expensive too. Best of Playstation Network Vol 1 which has Tokyo Jungle and Fat Princess is over $100, although that could be going down in price now that the store isn’t closing for at least a while.

i think that playstation network disc was already fetching high prices tbh

i actually didn’t know there were SEA-exclusive english releases before the ps4!

Demon’s Souls was a big HK import title before it was picked up by Atlus in the West.

2 Likes

Yesterday we sold our xbox one and today we bought a ps3. I logged in to my psn account and downloaded gradius 5, daytona, noby noby boy, demons souls and stuntman ignition (??)

Also managed to buy castle shikigami 2.

Gonna play ffxiii original true version, ridge racer 7, nier, also this copy of Afrika i have lying here i guess

Gamin baby !

5 Likes

Stuntman Ignition was a great early PS360 game butttt I think the digital version is PS2?

Also weirdly been thinking of FFXIII lately.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about the battle music in XIII a lot because I’ve been playing X for the first time and damn is Blinded by Light so much better fight music.

3 Likes