I now think Nioh is awesome

incl. the staff

1 Like

I know. Yeah Yokai Relm with Companion is my new amarita farming method. Those witch guys that play the Enka and summon revenants are bastards. I really really need to complete the spider castle so I can unlock the teahouse. Thereā€™s my update

I think I can finish this in a couple more sittings. Got to the last map area (I think) right before Automata came out. Then P5.

Overabundant loot and the convoluted stats having far more width than depth, keep this game held no higher than a 7.5-8 for me.

Those ninja levels though!

anyone help me roll through the lastā€¦ half of the game thatā€™s too manly for me?

I am horrible at committing to anything like this immediately, but I will think of you and say YO when I pick it back up. :bookmark:

youā€™d be a prince.

1 Like

do you actually filter your experiences through this metric

Relatively, probably a lot. My enjoyment doesnā€™t parallel my uh, quick critical score?

The frequency of drops, how many stats there are to manage. Given how fast combat and exploration go otherwise, compared to your average game in the genre they get in the way a lot more often than they should. Really its the constant gear variations and kinda bs differences or items. Sure maybe moreso for the compulsive player but who playing Nioh isnā€™t gonna want to get that shit 90% of the time?

For all the strong points in Nioh, its hard to separate from its predecessors (or biggest inspiration) and not think of what could have made it even better.

thereā€™s no reason to care about 99% of the microstats / the loot is color coded and easy to ignore regardless (I encourage it actually!!!) / there are mass loot culling options at the shrine / most loot is only worth it for the amrita / who cares / why does the game need to be ā€œbetterā€ in any way besides what serves what the game uniquely is rather than the influences it ultimately isnā€™t / pls ban metacritic from your brain

like I mightā€™ve been inclined slightly toward this early into the beta maybe but I pretty strongly disagree with this by now

My friend keeps struggling at the boss Nue, complaining about his gear or levels being too low (they arenā€™t). But learning to maneuver and strike more patiently, takes up less time towards beating it than grinding plus 30+ more deaths. So in a huge way I agree with how easy it can be to ignore that stuff and just play more efficiently. Streamline.

But I canā€™t agree that something designed to be so present in the game is fine, being this constant yet ā€œnegligibleā€. A further rewarding system, worth time put into it, would be better more ideal. I feel it when I play, not just talking about it.

Itā€™s a gorgeous, fun game in many ways, held as derivative or not. My point about score was not to be hard stuck on a number, just saying I can imagine what would make it excellent (to me and maybe some others).

I found it more useful to grind the items for item disassembly so you can buff out a weapon you like longer, to use it for another level or two.

It is frustrating to have systems you need to actively ignore to enjoy the game or else you fall into a vortex of tedious min/maxing, but this happens so often in the best games (zodiac in Final Fantasy Tactics, elemental resistances/imlunities in SMT, the slash/blunt/pierce/fire/etc defense ratings in Dark Souls, status spells, etc) I donā€™t really care anymore and this barely affects my enjoyment of the game.

In Nioh I just pick every piece of equipment I find but never check it immediately even if itā€™s purple. Every hour or so, I open the menu and equip whichever armor has the best defense/weight/fashion/unlimited jitsu ratio then sell everything else. It goes well.

2 Likes

The large amount of systems actually felt like it was actively discouraging me from min/maxing. I did pretty well ignoring 900 mechanic on my playthrough at least. Unlike Souls, it actually feels pretty nice that thereā€™s a constant crescendo of more powerful equipment because it at least lets me experiment around with different weapon types without being at a disadvantage (besides not having moves unlocked but Iā€™m bad and I donā€™t use 90% of them anyway).

Like I donā€™t know if itā€™s better (or if comparing it qualitatively even matters) than Souls, but itā€™s a different flavor I definitely appreciated. In the end, having 99999 stats and numbers made things feel more open-ended rather than an extra source of anxiety.

This is kind of where I was going to go with this; you donā€™t ā€œhave toā€ ignore anything to enjoy anything. The reason this works and isnā€™t really a problem is exactly what anothersphere implied: a wide range of solutions and approaches are available based on your commitment level, interest, playstyle. Itā€™s like turning items on or off in smash: your preference is facilitated without being forced upon you.

I canā€™t think of many loot games that donā€™t make you feel actively punished for abstaining from aggressively obsessive play but still reward you for bothering. This is one of them, though.

Resenting that mechanics exist that donā€™t personally apply to you in a game this fundamentally loose seems to me like vestigial frustration with worse games than this one is. I mean, donā€™t get me wrong, I think Bloodborneā€™s streamlining was very well intentioned and executed, but that doesnā€™t mean its design philosophy is universally applicable.

also like

fft is great for a million reasons but one of them is how profoundly you can break it if youā€™re so inclined, how much the game doesnā€™t mind that you can do this, and how much youā€™d never even know it if you just played through ā€œā€""ā€œcausallyā€""""

I used to be pretty big on austerity in design until I realized that almost all of my favorite games are good because the players made them good in spite of the developersā€™ best efforts to put their boring intentions on the page. when they recognize this and attempt mechanical apathy as an appeasement it works out just as well

3 Likes

I think the Nioh item drops definitely detract from the experience. Theyā€™re built mimicking (poorly) systems designed to hijack expectation/reward cycles in the brain, so every time they pop they either create a) a loot expectation and desire to see if the lottery has paid off, or b) a forceful indifference, gained by purposely rejecting the psychological hooks the loot system is inserting. That has an emotional cost and makes it draining to keep ignoring things that might make the game easier. Meanwhile the game is putting up a stiff challenge and demanding the player take every advantage to succeed.

All loot systems walk a line between giving players too much and forcing them to filter out trash reducing the meaning of the gear, and giving too little and either forcing every drop to be a major buff, removing player choice in setting up their characterā€™s bonuses. Iā€™m pretty sure Nioh ended up ridiculously deep into ā€˜gobs of lootā€™ because they were so feedback-driven and havenā€™t course-corrected after the last swing (seriously, they could reduce the loot drop amount by 70% and, while not fundamentally fixing the system, patching it significantly).

Whatā€™s an ideal loot system?

• Each drop is a meaningful reward
  • Each drop offers interesting choices
  • Players have a range of mechanical and aesthetic choices (without getting punished for it)
  • Players can opt-in to the complexity

I didnā€™t really need to find more validation of how broken I am but that sounds like Destiny and I want to play it more now

heh

Destiny once youā€™re into max level is certainly odd because 99% of all drops are trash. Nioh at low to mid level (I havenā€™t gotten farther) promises that something in here will be good,

Iā€™m going to think about this for a while because it feels like a difference in kind (I think Destiny has a much healthier loot cycle) but it is certainly swamped in trash. I donā€™t want to say itā€™s just an efficient UI because I think itā€™s deeper than that.

It may be that thereā€™s a limit to the ā€˜interestingā€™ perks drop rate; Destiny keeps its weapon perks within a very narrow band outside of exotics, so thereā€™s very little cognitive load when evaluating trash drops, while Nier has interesting-but-useless properties on everything, making a kaleidoscope of hard-to-parse trash.

Unfortunately, I believe strongly in interesting-and-hard-to-compare properties; the trick is making them feel meaningful without swamping the game.

That sounds more like The Division than Destiny. The amount of potential stat boosts on a piece of gear was so high that it became practically impossible to min/max for any particular build, and you really didnā€™t have much of a reason to build for anything else than the 3-4 critical rate boosting perks anyway.