I now think Nioh is awesome

I was stumped and couldn’t leave the beach in the alpha, but with the training mode and some moxie I made it to a second shrine. I even have armor and weapon alternatives. I’m glad I have a little more time with it before it goes away again.

3 Cheers for Betas.

I also summoned some help too.

I completely have flown through the first mission in the beta in an hour or two very easily

Is this tweaked content from the alpha or all new stuff?

first level is same but after that…

Having completely missed the alpha because laziness, I too think this is awesome. It grabs me in a way other Soulslikes don’t, even if I don’t like the segmented world design

I’m also very bad because I’m not patient at all but that’s okay, asshole summoners kept making me fight revenants and I got cool ass weapons and armor and now I’m kinda overpowered

Anyone actually playing the game?
It’s pretty awesome.
I’m liking the flow and the story thus far. It has a real edge to it. I’m loving the game but had to put it down, you have to focus and I can’t play it half asleep, but I got past the second, or first real boss before putting it down tonight, that was nerv wracking, him tossing giant balls at me and all.

So far I’m liking the spear and the sword, what are other people using?

I’m bogged down in Yakuza 0, but it is on my list of things to do this weekend. I’m trying to get out of the Tower of London. I do like how that is the real introduction and the bad guy looks like he should be in Virtua Fighter. Team Ninja fuck yeah!

I enjoy the fact that the plot of Nioh can be summuarized as “William has traveled to Japan to save his spirit guardian waifu”

2 Likes

Watching ChristopherOdd’s Let’s Play of this and it looks great. Wish I had a PS4… But maybe it will come to PC eventually

Going all in on low stance kusarigama when I finally have time to play this.

1 Like

We are kusarigama bros, especially since high stance light spam is the destroyer of yokai assholes

do you wanna join forces, you go low, I go high for all safe triangle hits :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

[quote=“Godamn_Milkman, post:12, topic:2615”]
do you wanna join forces, you go low, I go high for all safe triangle hits :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote] It’s kind of amazing how much you can cheese with heavy high kusarigama hits. Of course, if you misjudge distance you get wrecked, but that goes for every tactic in the game.

I like this game a lot. I’m currently in amrita spider town and I think other than the general feel of the controls what I enjoy most is the mission-based structure. Nioh is the Tenchu Z of Souls games and that was a void which desperately needed to be filled. I do kind of hate the loot system, but at least disposing of items is fairly painless.

I thought that bit in No One Lives Forever 2 about telling time by the slit of a cat’s eye was just a random joke until in this game Hattori Hanzo shows up and pulls out his pocket cat to tell when the sun will rise

1 Like

Nothing beats popping into somebody’s game and helping them out of tight spot. Still don’t know how to get Onroko Cups or whatever they are called. Next to Yakuza, Nioh is the most Japanese-centric game on PS4. Rifle headshots are my jam.

1 Like

you get the multi-fun-bag cups usually by helping people out with games and beating the boss/objective.
I like this game, but man am I shit at it.

I’ve been playing this and gotten to the bat-lady.

Having a dex build has really elevated this game for me! I’d urge anyone to get one. You can buy a respec book from the shop.

Jutsus are… not exactly awesome so far, but they’re a lot of fun. They are auto-renewable at every shrine items, like estus flasks. I’ve been swimming in jutsu points thanks to all that dex, so I’ve bought them all. That last boss fight felt less like a Souls boss fight and more of an Inspector Gadget Souls-like spinoff : throw goofy ass cartoon giant bombs at her, create poison clouds and try to get her to stay there (poison is really effective against bosses and larger enemies), throw some fire shurikens with a delayed explosion effect when she’s airborne, pop in some anti paralysis pills to protect against her purple attack. I like to throw spiky shurikens at the ground to make enemies feet hurt too, but those are ridiculously weak

Dex build also complements the use of kurasigamas well, and they are obviously the coolest weapon type. If you want advanced strats re: kurasigama, I suggest getting the grappling hook move and going grappling hook -> switch to lower stance -> mash Attack against humans.

1 Like

Bat lady has killed me multiple times, on a bright note I found a closer shrine to her so my travel time has been cut in half. I probably have to respec at some point, but I’m enjoying the build I have now.

I feel that killing the caterpillar will be a decisive moment in my Nioh history.

nioh dlc is coming out on may 2nd along with a versus mode but
i think only 5 people know