I Have No Mouth But I Must Game Stream (Google Stadia)

Is the narrator the same voice actor that played the main character in Horizon?

sounds like laura bailey?

Still stuck on this whole “watch people play video games” thing.

6 Likes

Streamers streaming their streaming streams to others streaming them streaming their streaming.

Makes perfect sense.

3 Likes

Jeez that video is horrible. Judging by that alone this should flop on an even grander scale than Google+. But I don’t know, maybe they really have a passion for games and I’m not seeing the big picture here. Google is certainly always good for a surprise.

What is the Stadia logo even supposed to be?

a ‘s’

I think the questions for success are:

• Is google ok with this being at a much lower fidelity than they are promoting? If yes, there is a chance this could do well because a lot of people would play lower-rez AAA games on cheap hardware.

• How much is google going to just dump money on this thing? Google has functionally limitless money, so this could be around as long as google has the will.

I think there is a not unreasonable chance the objective for this thing is less to make money off the actual product, and more pushing the streaming heavy duty apps everywhere into a lot of folks hands to normalize it.

But with enourmous tech companies, who knows? This might just be someone in management’s pet project that will be quietly killed off in two years with no fanfare.

4 Likes

That’s it? Very creative…

Yeah, I think it’s important to keep in mind this thing’s place in promoting Youtube streaming and trying to break past Twitch.

I assume Google is making internal comparisons to Switch sales and on paper it certainly looks like it could stand where PSP and Vita failed – full-fat portable versions of home games, like Switch finally delivered by killing the home console. But that’s entirely dependent on phone bandwidth and data caps and formatting for screen size.

Oh, and when Google complains about telecoms holding back new business plans – it’s good to have a clear example of the kinds of things they’d like to do with faster/cheaper networking, as we’re getting near sated on video.

5 Likes

Sometimes I load up longplays on youtube of my favorite games just to see lil clips of levels or moments that I like and if I can do that but then play the level for real, that’d be cool. I don’t think Google are gonna be serving old games on it though.

And if it lets me play a 1 hour trial of a new game without having to download anything either, that’d be cool too.

But uhh I can’t think of anything else I’d use it for.

1 Like

They could call that Stadia Arcadia and should do it just because of that

4 Likes

20gb / hour / user + Google’s data centre energy consumption… lol

2040 infograph on greenhouse gas emissions by economic sector:

• Industry 15%
  • Transport 18%
  • GAMERS 27%
15 Likes

I laughed

So that’s like a 5.5 MB/s average speed, right? That’s not too bad actually, is it? I don’t even want to tell you guys how much bandwidth I use in a month, it’s obscene

he’s on select button, so probably

1 Like

Google

3 Likes

Would rather a Google Blodia, tbh

2 Likes

I genuinely think this is the biggest reason for Stadia. Like, they said “stream” about 700 times during that presentation. They just want to eat Twitch

3 Likes

I mean, they’re going to have to say stream a lot since it’s a streaming service.

As far as the actual feature set is concerned, most of the stuff they announced isn’t really that new, right? Game streaming, save states, and asymetrical multiplayer games are all things that exist right now. The actual main selling points are high powered specs that can enable better graphics than current gen consoles and more seamless loading/save state loading.

The multiplayer paradigm is really different because we deliberately have to jump through hoops to remove physical simulation or make it really deterministic as very little data moves between players and host. Square’s Shin-Ra cloud gaming platform (same idea, four years ago) was projecting similar possiblities:

I think this will have to be a subscription service because the biggest selling point will be the extremely low friction from ‘watch youtube, idly click play, it just works instantly’. That’s enormous, but AAA games aren’t really designed to accomodate that (you settle in over hours), so high-end graphics aren’t really the best target for it.

3 Likes

just remembered this

classic microsoft