I downloaded all these cars, now I want to take them on the road. (Handheld Consoles for Emulation)

One more reason I need to go back and retroactively hate Working Designs. The SPAZ logo was plastered on all of their PS1 shmup releases.

2 Likes

love to put ablist slurs on game covers

classic working designs hilarity

2 Likes

Got a “New Family Pocket”

costs like $25, comes with a second controller and an AV out cable that look as goofy as you’d imagine when both plugged into the bottom of the controller

The emulation(?) accuracy can be iffy on some games & the portable screen noticably tears on faster platformers but the selection of games is really cool and they usually run well enough that you won’t notice the problems unless you’ve played the originals (Zombie Nation, for example, has messed up music & some color palette screwups). If you have a CRT it’s surprisingly fun to plug & play (comes w/ a very basic composite out), especially with the mix of misnamed real & bootleg games making scrolling thru the list exciting in and of itself.
All non-saving NES games but there’s clearly some amount of curation being done, lot less generic famiclone games than you’d expect (although…they still are there). The buttons/d-pad feel good too.

Plenty of other things you could own/do that would make this redundant but…if u don’t have one…it’s genuinely really cool, espeiclaly if you have a CRT to plug it into.

6 Likes

I can never remember what this thread is called or what it is about.

The new RG280 looks sick and might get one for my 20
Minutes of free time a day.

1 Like

Give a pretty good chance we will have for real Dreamcast capable handheld by Christmas. No the current ones that do shit with stuttering and 70% speed on sound do not count.

Sonic Adventure…in my pocket…

2 Likes

Can it act as a VMU

1 Like

there’s a homebrew disc that had a ton of save files to copy to your vmus, and it also had an emulator to play vmu games on the dreamcast itself.
so kinda?
also it looks like this

3 Likes

Super Mario Bros
Super Mario Bros. 3
Recca
Sqoon
Double Dragon II
The Contras
Some Ninja Gaidens

Yeah, that looks like it’s got everything I need in there.

It has a rechargeable battery that you can take out and replace with AAA batteries.
That seems like something you’d almost definitely never do, but that would feel real good if you ever did.

2 Likes

Just took apart my Anbernic RG350 because the thing refuses to boot unless it’s plugged in via the USB2 port and saw people suggesting I disconnect and reconnect the battery. Fuck these irresponsible assholes for using damaged LiPos. The LiPo looks like it was grazed with a razor blade, but then it has deeper damage to it that looks it was done with more force than somebody should be using when handling LiPos.

Don’t buy Anbernic unless you plan on taking apart whatever you buy and making sure their quality team actually did their fucking job and are prepared to replace the battery if they didn’t. Like, the only thing separating your fucking fingers from that battery is the plastic backing on the RG350, so, you know, you want to make sure there’s NOTHING wrong with that goddamn battery. Jesus Christ.

5 Likes

!

damaged lipo is basically flaming hell apokalypse waiting to happen. don’t leave it lying around where it can set something on fire, place it on pavement or similar, and get rid of it at a station that can handle them asap.

2 Likes

Seems like folks would like this.

The tiny tiny low resolution screen is fun.

Would be a fun gift.

5 Likes

this is so up my alley because i love to play games in 15-20 minute bursts. i bought it, will report back in, uh, may or june

2 Likes

phoo~

4 Likes

going to play final fantasy tictacs on this

7 Likes

I have now fused with an RG351v enough to say: this thing is great and I love it. I loved it within 10 minutes of holding it.

It can apparently play undertale?

Wonder if I can get Kenta Cho stuff running on it.

Also if I am willing to spend an afternoon typing up text files I can get DosBoX Pure running on it.

I got Scumm and Pico-8 over here which is more than enough on top of great PS1 performance. And hey Dreamcast kind of works as opposed to RP2’s barely works.

Oh Space Harrier 32x runs at full speed. That must be the improved core.

8 Likes

I wrote a hasty guide because several friends got one. I am very very impressed with these handhelds and think any SBer would love one.

Just wish I had the energy to play any.

7 Likes

Getting sick is the perfect excuse to play this actually.

Turns out PPSSPP has the same bug as Scumm and you need to move the settings up one level.

But once you do that PSP performance is pretty good. It is all going to be letterboxed on the 351v but works pretty well. Also there is apparently caching so you want to play each bit for a couple minutes to see if the slowdown resolves.

2 Likes

Love this thing, thanks for getting this for me Rudie. It’s ridiculously cool

8 Likes

Just a reminder that Anbernic owners should check their battery if possible and if you haven’t already for physical defects. My unit last year came with a battery I thought was defective until I saw it had a big gash across it from a box cutter. Damaged batteries like this could fuck up your unit itself and also in the absolute worst-case scenario be a danger to you. :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

For windows users: here’s a Zip file that contains:

1. A folder for each letter of the alphabet, plus 1 for numbers
  2. A .bat file that will move all files into their matching directory

You can extract this to your romset folder, then run that .bat file to organize them into the alphabetical subfolders. Just tested it on my complete gameboy romset. It didn’t get any files that had special characters as the first character in the name, but that was 4 files, and also who cares.

https://clint.neocities.org/Folder%20Move%20script.zip

3 Likes