I can't believe today was a good play (Games you played today)

in short i think it really helps to approach overwatch as a sort of moba where you’re given direct first-person control over one character, and not a deathmatch fps in the same vein as quake 3

Sorry, personal weird shorthand.

Capsule colliders are the go-to collider model for 3d movement. They’re simple, and simulate ramps and edges in a way that feels intuitive. They are, for a better work, “default”. “Basic.”

A common problem in amateur FPS design is not putting any work into your movement model, thus you don’t feel like you embody the character. The default Unity FPS model - a capsule collider - has one of these movement models.

Within this particular context, when I say something “feels like the capsule collider moving up and down”, I’m saying that the game’s visual veneer has pulled back to reveal this artificiality. Simple, basic, rarely iterated on. Just featureless orbs sliding around an equally featureless landscape.

There is no joy to Overwatch’s movement to me. No life. This isn’t to say there is none, for the people who like it. Or that “capsule collider movement” can’t be utilized to good effect. It just doesn’t gel with me, here, and I don’t think it ever will.

1 Like

I don’t really agree with this. If it was a weighted decision to jump in the way that it is in other shooters I play, then this

wouldn’t happen. Because the player would not be spamming jump. The exception does not prove the rule.

Don’t get me wrong, it is within Overwatch’s ideal competitive aesthetic of rigorously-balanced chess pieces shuffling around a cartoon landscape killing each other. Having rigidly-defined limits and interactions is a big draw for some. But it’s incredibly alienating to me. Once people caught on to the fact that you can “spam jump” and it only rarely matters, the illusion broke.

overwatch blows chunks and the only reason i play it is because it’s incredibly easy and ends up being a point and click time waster to kindle my depression when i should be doing something tasteful or productive

yeah, too many people play it that way and that’s one reason why i haven’t gone back to it since last summer >_>

it’s played that way because it’s how you play it, it’s a shooting game and you click on people, and the people are extremely easy to click on, there is no choice on whether or not to engage with enemies, you are by default engaging by proximity

what i’m saying is your low-level engagement brings the game down, not the other way around

it’s a team game

like, if it’s so easy are you carrying teams and finding yourself bored? is it cool to play a game you hate and make the teams you’re playing with pull extra weight because you don’t even want to be there?

i could write an essay about every poor design choice in OW But everyone else has already dunked on it and I’m simply here to posit my belief that it’s a hollow contrivance of a competitive game with no meaningful content

1 Like

and i’m further convinced that overwatch haters are just looking for a different game

1 Like

this is pretty loaded, i engage with the game by playing it

yes, pretty much every QP game as a healer or DPS. role queue in casual is extremely shit, btw

this is also pretty loaded and also we just established that I’m competent at overwatch and carry often

1 Like

damn, it must suck to be uncannily good at a thing you really hate

1 Like

i wanna frame this post, this is 100% me

10 Likes

can confirm slime has preternatural skills, it’s kind of scary

5 Likes

let me tell you about this game called heroes of the storm

1 Like

it was a bit snarky of me, but i honestly don’t get it. maybe you play a lot of widowmaker, or something? is my preference of characters the reason i think “the game is just point and click” seems like flippant nonsense to me? it makes it sound to me like you aren’t involved in it at all, and in my experience that’s a sure way for players to be dead weight to their team.

hey, maybe being somewhat bad at the game factors into my enjoyment. idk!

I play Moira, actually. More than half of my games I end up getting most elims, damage, and healing. I will literally be the better healer and when tanks overextend they always claim me as the reason they died, even if our team wins and even if I’m responsible for finishing off most of the low health enemies post-engagement. Overwatch is so saturated in its own forced-meta bleeding that a support class supporting AND doing damage is seen as a negative thing by both the community and the game itself. This is also evident by Symmetra being moved from “support” to “damage”, and the merging of offensive and defensive classes into one role is indicative of the lack of raw mechanical difference between many of the heroes, who are separated solely by “mobility/health/healing power”. The roles are meant to fulfill themselves. The roles and role queue are a contrivance to make the numbers go up and down in as smooth a way as possible, and not to actually create interesting differences in playstyle, because the SINGULAR playstyle of overwatch is “rush to the point and payload and unload all of your leftclicking and abilities until the ememy numbers are lower than your team numbers”.

Widow is actually probably the only shooting class who differs from this, and maybe Ashe and Pharah, and it’s because they’re long range damage dealing classes. But damage falloff STILL EXISTS and most heroes are discouraged from being at any reasonable distance from a fight

2 Likes

and yes, I play Dota 2 and hate it and myself equally for it. Overwatch is a moba, and a shooter, and a bad one of both, and I am still addicted to it because I’m horribly depressed, so I know what I like and don’t like

1 Like

there was this game blizzard released a while back called heroes of the storm

it also had really interesting hero archetypes for a moba that eventually got squashed enough to the point where there’s nothing mechanically interesting between one DPS and the other DPS

why did they have to do that to my boy tassadar he was fine

1 Like

fuck you just reminded me how good HotS almost was again

2 Likes