How much music do you listen to in a day?

• I don’t purposefully listen to music
  • Not enough to count as daily
  • Maybe 1 hour in a day
  • 1 or 2 hours in a day
  • 3 hours or more almost every day
  • Like, 6 hours a day? A huge chunk of my day.
  • Every waking moment

0 voters

Just curious. I listen to music almost constantly - working, driving, playing games, sometimes while I’m sleeping. These bluetooth headphones from about 2.5 years ago (that I have on right now) have probably been in use for 5,000-6,000 hours at least.

If I lived alone I would listen to music literally all the time.

I have no idea what other people’s habits are like though!

8 Likes

[internally screaming about survey design]

3 Likes

I multitask a lot but I’ve never found that music helps me work

I like bad data

8 Likes

I stopped listening to music cuz it makes me long for a better life and I try to keep my longing to a minimum

12 Likes

any time i am not listening to music i’m usually humming something i’ve recently heard or improvising something. any time i listen to something new it usually sparks a whole bunch of related riffs in my head as a way of mentally digesting it i suppose

1 Like

podcasts killed my entire music listening hobby

9 Likes

i lost my nice earphones a little while ago and the spares my friend loaned me are too big for my auricles

but also though like, i listen to maybe one or two albums for up to three months. much as i respect people who can listen to new stuff every week i couldn’t imagine

1 Like

I really like silence. It’s not uncommon that I’ll have music on in the background, but I often wish I could just turn off the music in any area I’m in because I just think it’s too busy sometimes. I really like listening to music intently, usually when it’s a new album or something I get really hooked on. Then I’m not multitasking I am only listening to music.

But I can go days without really listening to stuff, sometimes.

4 Likes

I’m listening to John Cage’s 4’33" on repeat whenever I’m not listening to something else

11 Likes

i put on Pulse Demon on a lark today while packing the dishwasher at my partner’s and they thought i’d done something to their housemate’s espresso machine

5 Likes

listen to less music than ever because of streaming services and the combination of decision paralysis/shitty ui

2 Likes

I can’t listen to podcasts and do anything more complex than scrambling eggs, otherwise I would have the same experience

the commute (when i was still making one!) and doing destiny bounties are my moments

1 Like

Followup question: how do you pick music to listen to?

• I pick individual songs
  • I build playlists/mix tapes/mix CDs/etc. and listen to them in order
  • I build big playlists and shuffle them
  • I shuffle my entire music library
  • I use a service like Pandora or Spotify to pick music for me
  • I listen to entire albums
  • I listen to the radio (???)

0 voters

I made it multiple choice this time but if it’s like 90% one thing just pick that.

I’m 100% an album person. I hate shuffling music and generally only pick individual songs if I absolutely need to listen to them right now. Playlists are alright but I’m too lazy to make them.

i am a man of my era so yes, albums only really

was it a blunt commercial exercise to squeeze content on a single format and get people to buy more for less? absolutely

do i judge an act poorly if they can’t make a good album, given the format’s transformation to ‘musical literature’? absolutely

11 Likes

Btw I might write up a guide on how to use musicbee to manage a music library and sync playlists to your phone. It’s great for converting shit from FLAC or w/e to something reasonably sized for mobile while still preserving the original files. I have too much music to put on my phone all at once now, so it’s the only way for me

1 Like

This never occurred to me! I’ve always considered it to be the musical novel vs. musical short story of EPs vs. musical poem of a single song.

Capitalism: it’s everywhere

1 Like

I don’t necessarily negatively judge an act for being a singles band or what have you, but I definitely have a special appreciation for a band that can structure an album that develops and flows as a whole.

1 Like

Oh yeah, just look at the shifting definition of what constituted an album in the original vinyl era versus the CD era. Capitalism dictating so much. Also the devaluation of recorded music as a whole on a near dollar-per-minute basis.

1 Like