How much easier is game development likely to get?

And which are the projects out there that are making the most interesting/commendable efforts to deliver that ease?

Well, Game Maker for 2d games and Unity for 3d games. I havenā€™t used either myself, but those seem to scale well from small prototypes to full-scale games made by a team over a couple of years.

Itā€™s a good question if things will get even easier from now on. My sense is that at todayā€™s high level of ease, the improvements will only be marginal going forward. I donā€™t see a revolutionarily easy new way of programming or making art on the horizon. Modding existing games could be a lot easier still though, in theory that should be trivial in comparison to building a game from scratch, but today itā€™s not.

1 Like

Yeah, Unityā€™s really easy. Some people find Unreal a bit friendlier, but the logo is ugly, soā€“

You can make a game with not much programming at all, and itā€™s easy enough to nick little functions and things by searching online. You could make a walkaround game with no programming at all.

There are also really easy things with much narrower focuses, like Flickgame, Twine, Puzzlescript, Vertex Meadow, Kooltoolā€“

Iā€™ve just started using a 3-D modeling program thatā€™s really simple called Crocodile3D. Easy for building and texturing things, but thereā€™s no animation. Iā€™m not aware of any simple animation tools for 3-D.

Are you keen on making stuffs, or just curious about where things are?

Iā€™m actually working on a wiki focused on game making tools and helping them be useful for amateur game makeers, but itā€™s not populated enough to be public yet.

1 Like

Just taking the temperature really

itā€™s only taken me a tiny bit of research to be able to make a bunch of the kinds of things I want to make in terms of 2d games with game maker, but I think something like game maker with a rock-solid collision system would be a pretty significant step forward in easy 2d game development.

Once the mechanics of programming a game is made easier, isnā€™t it actually making game development much harder in the long run, since it raises the expectations on whatā€™s achievable?

Iā€™m pondering this, operating on the assumption that even with a perfect, mythical brain-to-product workflow, you still have to coordinate more distinct disciplines than any other medium going

Can you tell us more about crocodile? Iā€™m working in magicavoxel to do boxers, but I also want to learn low poly 3D

Well probably the best thing to do it just grab it off itch.io (itā€™s free if you donā€™t want to save/export).

It works kinda backwards, in that you mostly draw your textures first, then model with those like theyā€™re ā€˜tilesā€™ (as youā€™d have in a 2-D spritesheet, or something).

Itā€™s pretty quick for placing quads and dragging round points, and itā€™s all quad-by-quad, rather than point-by-point or messing with primitives.

Exports to .OBJ and works nice in Unity.

You can also paint your texture in the editor, but itā€™s mostly only good for simple stuff. Apparantly you can sync your texture file so you can be editing it in Gimp at the same time or whatever too.

As a learning tool maybe in a way itā€™s not good because itā€™s pretty different to other programs, but probably good as a way of getting a grip on how to use polygons carefully.

Itch.io pageā€™s here: http://prominent.itch.io/crocotile3d maybe check out the video to explain things better

1 Like

I think brain-to-product sounds really sad.

I imagine a lot of people wouldnā€™t make stuff if making stuff didnā€™t involve making stuff.

1 Like

On the other hand, I think a lot of people arenā€™t making stuff because it involves making stuff.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s because the making is the inventing. Those thoughts arenā€™t really there until theyā€™re guided by the creating

no brain-to-brain communication thx

messing around with Superpowers, I have a tiny cute witch sprite on the screen and it moves around :mission accomplished:

There is a dude with a procedural generation blog (made the voxel engine that ended up as the tech behind Everquest Next and Landmark) that thinks that eventually an entire state of the art game could be generated procedurally. As in not just the assets but also the game logic, ruleset and that kind of stuff.

Iā€™m like, dude we havenā€™t even codified how to make a good game ourselves as intelligent humans (assuming thatā€™s even possible). How do you plan to teach a computer to do so?

Still, he remained adamant that this will be achieved within our lifetimes. Huh.

Yes, thatā€™s far more likely.

Still, I donā€™t quite see what purpose such a tool would have for the medium, other than as a neat toy to play around with?

Some people look at the fundamental rules of the universe and marvel at their simplicity & the richness of behaviour and appearance they produce, and imagine that we could simulate a subset of it on a computer.

This sounds a little like the Left4Dead Director, or the Shadows over Mordor Nemesis system.

Those two are a bit more purposeful than what I had in mind with that game-generator program, but yeah, itā€™s similar in nature.

Stuff like that is what I want current-gen development to explore further. I hope L4D3 goes wild in this direction.

this doesnā€™t solve the ā€œcodifying good gamesā€ problem but itā€™s a very small step forward for procedural generation of entire games: http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~sgc/papers/browne_cig11.pdf

itā€™s pretty dense and full of maths but basically the two authors created a system that acts as almost a markup language for defining game rules and then perform various operations on those game rules using selection criteria to filter out games that donā€™t work over tons of iterations.

the problem with generating games this way (and procedural generation in general, honestly) is those initial assumptions ā€“ in order to build a system that can even be iterated over and selected for, the authors of the paper put some pretty harsh constraints on what constitutes a ā€œlegalā€ game, and the games that are created arenā€™t interesting in any modern sense

2 Likes

A million monkeys and a million typewriters. Defining what a legal game is going to be a problem. Then figuring out how to identify that is going to be a problem. And then finally curating games that any normal person is going to want to play is going to be amazingly difficult.

The one thing that is going to make game dev easier now is access to assets. Thatā€™s why every gamedev platform has an asset store. Hopefully one day weā€™ll be OK with people using other peopleā€™s props in their games. Maybe weā€™ll find another Wilhelm screamā€¦