HELP me decide which PS2 game to play!!

I dug out my old PS2 and games and realized i have not played a good chunk of 'em, like, ever. I don’t know what’s more or less worth my time, so i made this thread so y’all can give me your opinions on some video games.

-BoF: Dragon Quarter
-Disgaea 1
-Digital Devil Saga 1+2 (package deal)
-.hack//G.U. Vol. 1 (i will not play any volumes beyond this)
-Devil May Cry 3
-The Mark of Kri and/or Rise of the Kasai

Also my roommate gave me a bunch of PS2/3 games she doesn’t use, which just makes it harder to decide…!

-Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
-Makai Kingdom
-Final Fantasy 12
-Atelier Iris 2: The Azoth of Destiny (what does this title even mean??)
-Sly 2: Band of Thieves
-THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS

I would like detailed explanation of why i should play [x] game if possible. (spoiler alert this is a stealth “talk about PS2 games” topic, so i don’t actually care or mind if there’s no real consensus)

I expect a lot of “play Dragon Quarter, dummy” type posts.

This is also where i whine about how i had copies of Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song and Nightmare of Druaga for the longest time, and would love to play both of them right now, but i can’t for the life of me recall what i did with them or what happened. i’m sure i didn’t sell them they just vanished into the ether :frowning:

Play Dragon Quarter because I never have or will and I need to do it vicariously through you

http://selectbutton.net/t/i-want-to-give-you-a-copy-of-the-coolest-plane-game-of-all-time/1016

play this game

but if you want to play something in the interim, play Dragon Quarter, dummy. OK so Dragon Quarter talk for real, you can just read the abdn review if you need a super detailed explanation of why it’s great but it is one of those games that has a basically flawless combat system and a perfectly paced dungeon

@BIGHEADMODE can probably try to talk you into playing The Mark of Kri, he likes that game.

2 Likes

Digital Devil Saga 1+2 because why wouldn’t you want to rend, slaughter, and devour your enemies, child of purgatory.

admittedly this kinda sells me on finally playing DDS1+2

i made it 3/4 through dds1 a couple of years ago and just gave up because the dungeon design was so repetitive and uninteresting and the combat could only get me so far

would love to hear thoughts on it if someone plays it sometime soon

Stone-cold classic, right here. Still one of the best in the genre.

Play Dragon Quarter, dummy.

Dragon Quarter +1

I picked up a copy of Mark of Kri a year or so after it came out used for like $10, tried playing it, got annoyed at how little the first level made sense and put it away for a long time. A few years back I gave it another shot, got past the first level (fun fact: stealth is basically disabled in that level for reasons I don’t understand. That makes things confusing if you try and go that route) and finished it within a week.

I think those who talk it up as a lost classic are off as I’d be lying if I said that I thought it was nearly that good. Still, for about a year or so after I played the game it would randomly pop into my head when my mind was drifting or I was thinking about video games in a generalized sense. I can’t give you a good reason why that happened but I take that as proof that it did somehow manage to stick with me.

Dragon Quarter is probably the better game, but when I was done with it I never looked back. There are a lot of games I enjoyed a good deal that left my mind once I was done with them. Mark of Kri did not, and there is a good chance that it is just due to some idiosyncratic reason but maybe it is worth giving a shot to see if it does the same to you.

Mark of Kri is a very interesting and unique game, and I think it’s really fun. I don’t generally love that Disney aesthetic, but they apply it in an extremely coherent way, and it’s got lots of good blood/gore besides. I’ve always been a little curious about BoFV; it seems like it’s doing something a little different. I’d say play a little of .hack 1 since it has an interesting flavor, but I wouldn’t go too deep with it. It would’ve benefited immensely from some customizeable character building and even a multiplayer coop element. I think that’s what it really needed to bring its “offline online” conceit home.

Oh, hey: thanks for calling me over Tulpster!

I haven’t played Mark of Kri in, like, ten years, but I have really fond memories of it. I’d hope it would hold up, but even if it doesn’t, I bet it’s worth a go.

To this day, I think it remains unique in a few ways. As neva-01 mentioned, it has a very strong vision for its Disney-esque aesthetic along with a pretty neat and coherent world that gets across without any real world building other than a legend, and nicely rendered environments. All the aesthetic aspects of the game are fantastic with the actual in-game graphics obviously limited by the era. The cinemas are creative with excellent art, the voice acting is great, the animation transcends its polygons with excellent “acting,” and the levels really really feel like a place. I find the music a little bland, but it’s definitely original and appropriate to the setting. Sort of Fallout 1 level ambience. And–best of all–all of these elements work together to really create a time and place. So yeah: find it really pleasureable just to experience the presentation of the game, and as I play I really get that feeling of craftsmanship that you get when the creators obviously had a vision for every part of something.

Watching the first few minutes of the game should give you an idea of whether you’ll feel the same way. I guess, ultimately, it was just thoroughly “cinematic” in a way that many games wanted to be at the time but almost none seemed to be able fully grasp. It’s in the realm of Beyond Good & Evil in that regard.

As for gameplay, to me there’s some historical interest because it’s from that era when designers were still figuring out how to smoothly convey combat and movement in 3-D space. In my mind, Ico was is a touch stone for a certain type of limited combat, with Mark of Kri offering a slightly clunkier but more thorough missing link to a button masher like Prince of Persia: SOT, which I’m guessing was further refined into something God of War (never played)? I dunno. I guess the Devil May Cry series was already around during all of those.

Anyway, outside history, I’d guess that Kri’s battle system is still fun? Basically, they wanted you to be able to fight hoards with a coherent idea of what you’re doing but also have it be simpler than a fighter. So, as enemies approach you (often in groups) you sweep the radius around you with right analog stick, that assigns them a button, and then for each enemy you have one-button combat, with the computer dictating your combo variations and handling how you jump between enemies. I remember it feeling really fun and satisfying. The depth comes from managing the spinning plates of a group of six people while also runing around them. Oh, and there’s blocking and comboing, so it’s not too button-mashy.

But actually, the thing that really surprised me about MoK’s gameplay and makes me think it’s an original experience worth playing today, is the level of investment the levels require. After the first sort of introductory level (which is just teaching you combat and pretty short) most of the levels are best approached as stealth levels (because early oughts) and as a result become pretty tense. Not sure how MoK compares to other dedicated stealth games (I never played Metal Gear or Splinter Cell), but for me it was a unique experience: I remember the levels being about an hour long, and during that time you’re often scouting the level out with your hawk, slowly picking off guards, and basically working your way deeper into the level. I remember the levels being well designed in this regard. Some of them you kind of enter through a linear passage that expands–others you have to kind of circumambulate. My main gameplay memory is this feeling of being really immersed in these marathon levels.

Oh, also, if I remember correctly, the game is mostly bossless. I think sometimes the level ends with the hardest group of barbarians or one might be harder than others. But overall, your challenge is the level and the mission, and there’s no major major high point. I really liked this, because I have anxiety issues, and the prospect of a 3-D boss fills me with genuine dread that’s not entertaining.

So yeah, I highly recommend at least tring Mark of Kri. Definitely deserves its status as a famous “hidden gem.”

1 Like

DDS1 already has a slow, methodical pace but I feel like at the end it slows down even more, almost like filler to flesh out whatever game they had left. It’s worth just forcing your way through it to transfer you save to the second game where the story is just running nonstop from the very beginning all the way to the end. Even the attract mode cutscene of the second game just picks up immediately after the end of the first game (spoilers, don’t watch it unless you beat the first game) and the game picks up immediately after and never stops.

On top of the story pacing being faster, the battle system has been improved, adding a new half-demon/half-human berserk form that only happens to you when the Sun is Full, and the level-up system has a giant Chinese Checkers-looking sphere grid system where you can actually branch out and evolve a character however you want, unlike the super linear paths of the first game. Also the music is just straight up better and pumped up, matching the messed up world of the game rather than the slow, delicate pace of Purgatory.

So if you wanna slice/punch/shoot people turned into demons and then STRATEGICALLY EAT THEM in fucked up Neo-Seattle all on a path to confronting god, then yes play DDS2.

1 Like

I felt the dungeons got worse in DDS2

Hilarious game, either way

Dragon Quarter is at least fifteen times better than any of the other games on that list. its a lean, pretty, focused JRPG that isn’t really a JRPG with a good battle system and some shit no other game ever did.

What always kept me from going back and finishing DQ was that the battles were never any fun

I recently modded my PS2, so this topic is right up my alley.

Grab a friend and play the heck out of Adventures of Cookie and Cream. That game is a goddamn marvel. From Software’s most lighthearted aesthetic meets devious learning curve.

Smuggler’s Run is still great!

The Maximo games don’t get nearly as much love as they should. Very punishing action-platformers with a throwback progression system and clever secrets.

Play Siren. The best horror game on the console bar Silent Hill 2, imo. Brutally difficult, but rewarding and fucked up.

Midway Arcade Treasures 3 has an almost unprecedented amount of replay value, and includes a basically arcade-perfect Race Drivin’, which is worth the price of admission alone (Hard Drivin’ is on Vol. 2, sadly).

I could go on indefinitely.

1 Like

find a copy of nocturne

2 Likes

Disgaea 1 is really fun and goofy with just enough of a balance between grinding and exploring the niches of the weird battle system that it works. It can be genuinely funny too, so I’d considerate it worth your time to check out.

DDS is a SMT game. It’s pretty and inspired but a complete slog with a terrible atlas voice casting and a scene where you find out a girl’s anime power tattoo is on her butt cheek in some ass-less chaps. The edge level is way up in this series and never really justifies it in my opinion. I wish I could extract all the text and 3D models so I could just cut out the middle man with these games.

Dragon Quarter is the choice though. Start an ant farm and use your dragon powers to topple the bourgeoisie.

DMC3 is real fun too.