hell diving too

hey is anyone playing helldivers 2? it’s really fun and especially good with buds. only been playing a few weeks and on the highest difficulty already so there’s not really a grind at all.

would love to dive with sb frens

1 Like

just bought it, steam id is p1d40n3.

Holy cow it needs a lot of space, and holy cow sf6 takes up a lot of space!

1 Like

im down to clown

1 Like

I’ve been playing, it’s pretty fun! Not sure how much time I have in the next coupla weeks but someday

1 Like

sick, do we have any easier way to organize? do ya’ll use the sb discord?

i’ll drop my steam id and friend code later

Ive been holding off on buying it, but if it has the SB seal of approval I guess I’ll check it out, ty for the thumbs up

Got it and played the first baby mission, and it seems pretty fun, but - as a guy who never played EDF, this reads to me as “boring American EDF”

4 Likes

it is a game almost expressly designed to appeal to american gamers who are nearly suicidal about the fact that Microsoft turned down a pitch that was similar to this game but about ODSTs from Halo. i mean they made like two shitty starship troopers games in the past 5 years too. you know god isn’t listening to our pleas anymore, people still won’t play EDF seemingly because it doesn’t have enough reheated satire from 1997

every time i see someone dressed like a literal nazi in a ww2 wehrmacht helmet in this game i just think to myself yeah keep telling yourself this is normal dude. i think if it was less overtly annoying about ripping off one of the weakest paulie v movies i would be totally ambivalent about the game instead of thinking its fucking hot garbage

this game has multiple currencies to accommodate the battle pass which is pretty close to how they americanized EDF in the last actual boring for americans EDF that came out so lol

3 Likes

Celebrity gif. Dwayne Johnson as The Rock rolls his eyes with an exaggerated sigh before raising his eyebrows with a smile.

1 Like

idk shit about EDF or the history of this game or the studio, but seriously doubt this video game is going to turn anyone into a nazi, it’s just fun run and gun with buds blowin up robits and bugs.

ahhhhhhhhh im unethically consuming

c’mon wren you’re above gif replies

also you might have a better shot at keeping discourse out of your pickup thread if you put it in the Multi Kombat subforum. i’m like… 67% sure you can move your own thread, but if you can’t and you want it moved i’m happy to do so

aye aye, done

not much like EDF tbh. better comparison is “procgen metal gear solid 5”, with all the subtleties that entails.

great game. i’m down to play with anyone here, when i’m not locked into the socialization mines. here’s my steam profile. i’m level 35 or something (50 hours in) and have built up a strong repository of game knowledge. unlocked all stratagems, about 3/4ths through the initial progression tree and 1/2 through the “premium” tree you get for the deluxe edition (which, it should be noted, has nothing particularly good in it rofl).

main things to keep in mind:

• you WILL die, and at least 2 or 3 times a mission it will be because of your teammates, even when you’re playing with your friends
  • that’s okay! the game gives you a leeway of 5 lives per player before it actually becomes important to conserve your life
  • running away from a fight to reset the engagement is almost never a bad idea; only one enemy in the whole game (stalkers) can outrun you
  • the passes are permanent, and you earn the premium currency by full-clearing regular (read: not defense) maps (10-50 per mission, depending), so don’t worry too much about hitting grind goals; just play the game and have fun!
5 Likes

I solemnly swear not to ragequit again even if we go on ultra hard difficulty missions

2 Likes

yeah i’ve been playing this a lot! i was a big fan of the first one and i liked magicka too so it’s cool to see arrowhead find success with this one - even though it’s the laziest direction you could take the first one a lot of the quirks of it still work even with the perspective change with like managing resources and careful use of the strategems and stuff

i like both this and EDF and think that they occupy two different spaces, EDF is a little bit more tied to the class you’re playing and this one allows a lot more flexibility between missions even if you can’t get THAT much different from the other person playing in your lobby. the two archetypes of player tend to be either mostly sentries or mostly strikes with a bit of variation on the subweapon you’re bringing with you. also memorizing the stratagem dpad combos is absolutely a thing, i’ve had several situations in both the first game and this one where we’ve survived because the last person standing managed to throw out the reinforce stratagem right before dying to like 12 enemies swarming them

that said i think that they haven’t really encouraged the kind of play that makes this game REALLY interesting, like most of the weapons that require people to wear backpacks will just have the person who summons the weapon equip both the weapon and the backpack even though it’s way quicker to reload when someone else is wearing the backpack

i’m also really annoyed with the starship troopers aping because 1. it gets in the way of playing the game a lot, there are way too many unskippable sections on your ship and pre/post mission that could have just been UI and 2. the game, like everyone else, misunderstands that starship troopers is campy because the movie and everyone in it plays it totally straight and is all the way into it, it might be the stupidest shit in the world for everyone in the movie to fire a gun literally 10 feet away from a bug but everyone in the movie is dead fucking serious about doing it, it’s not just like shitty little tooltips or your guy yelling “liberty!” or “democracy!” all the time

and there was an opportunity to do a kind of similar and funny thing where the tone of the game is totally straight and intense while everyone is accidentally killing each other and themselves and like action-diving six times in a row to get away from a group of enemies because you can’t reload, there’s a similar campiness to that kind of dynamic, otherwise the way to do it is to go straight EDF and have voice lines that are way too long and overlap all the time while escalating the situation to strange extremes

i’m down to play with people but i probably won’t be able to talk because i will be playing at night while kid’s asleep

2 Likes

the comparison to metal gear solid 5 is spot on. it’s even got similar animations and you can play the game as a stealthy action game even at the highest difficulties. i watched a solo helldive vid on yt today that did just that.

less EDF and more mgs 5 in space

2 Likes

it’s been fun to run!

1 Like