health/lifestyle thread

I recently made a change that’s improved my diet by a lot. I’ve cut out as much stuff with supplemented nutrients as I can, and just done the plain old eating the seeds and vegetables and so on.

I came to the conclusion that a big part of what was repelling me about vegetables was already getting a bunch of the nutrients from supplements. Once I stopped doing that, I haven’t seemed to have trouble eating them. It seems like some base deficiency is needed for water to taste good and also for bitter mineral stalks to taste ok.

This means not only avoiding multivitamins, most protein powers, most health marketed snacks and drinks, but also cereal, which is a big one. The packaging defines a serving of cereal as a cup, which is a lie, and I was definitely getting 100% of a bunch of nutrients just from cereal. So I replaced it with oatmeal.

A lot of things fell into place when I started doing this. I’m finding it easy to keep to a food pyramidish diet with a bunch of beans and vegetables to it. Where before it would be just like cereal and some protein powders. Obviously the tradeoff is that it takes more to make sure you’re getting everything. But there are whole bunch of things like phytochemicals and influence on intestinal bacteria and the like that aren’t as simple as the base vitamin + mineral listing. Intuitively it feels like this should be healthier, and I definitely feel better.

4 Likes

I’ve been doing intermittent fasting for a few months to lose weight and it’s useless without counting calories as well. I knew this going in but I was just too lazy to do it. Now I’m counting calories as well and I hope I can get rid of my gut in a few months… Still not eating super healthy because I can’t afford it financially but I do what I can. One step at a time

1 Like

My wife and I have gone 6/7 vegetarian, it’s pretty nice. My stomach doesn’t hurt nearly as much as it used to.

1 Like

I just ate an entire grocery store frozen pizza

15 Likes

My diet since April 2017, is the following:

Anything fresh pork. Pork steaks, chops, ribs, etc. I basically never pay more than $2.50/lb for pork. Often get it for $2 and sometimes for less than that.

Eggs. A local Safeway does “repack” dozens, where they consolidate unbroken eggs from broken packs and sell them as good dozens. $0.99 per dozen. If they are out of repacks, a corner store near me sells eggs for $1.40/dozen.

Swiss cheese (Swiss cheese has Vitamin B12, due to the bacteria used to make it. Cheddar and many other common cheeses, do not have B12).

Plain Greek yogurt. Fage brand, with full 5% fat. The large tub is cheaper per ounce, than buying Individual containers. Even when they are on sale.

Raw, de-shelled, unsalted sunflower seeds. Bought from bulk section. Raw means more of the natural phyto nutrients are intact. Similar nutrition as other nuts/seeds. $2.50/lb compared to almonds, which are like $6/lb. I do occasionally get other nuts, however.

Any cruciferous vegetables. Broccoli. Radishes. Cucumbers. Bok Choy. Broccoli is usually cheaper frozen. I try to eat raw veggies for the phyto nutrients. But if I eat frozen or cooked, I chase it with some raw mustard seed powder. As that has a similar chemical as raw broccoli, and is proven to activate the other stuff in the broccoli, radish, etc, for anti-cancer, aging, telomere length, etc.

Avocados. I used to have to wait every couple weeks for 99 cent deals. But a new store opened nearby, which sells them for less than $1, every day.

Frozen blueberries. Add to yogurt. Or eat by themselves. High in anti-oxidants, minerals, and phyto nutrients. Smaller “low” growing or “wild” types have more beneficial properties than the larger “high” growing type, which are also sweeter.

I only cook with grapeseed oil. I also drink it for extra calories. Right now I have some walnut oil because it was on sale. Only for drinking. High in omega 3.

My only “supplements” are whole foods. Raw cacao powder (high in anti-oxidants, fatty acids, etc. One of the highest sources of magnesium). And raw Maca root powder. Also high in good stuff. Particularly beneficial for hormone balance. I usually have Red Maca, which has some particular benefit to prostate health.

No synthetic supps or vitamins. I do have a D3/K oil dropper. It’s supposed to be food sourced and the K is MK-7 from Natto. The fermentation in Japanese Natto creates the most potent form of Vitamin K.

That’s it! Low carb. High fat. High vitamin. Feels amazing. No more midday crash/nap time. Sustained energy for the day. Feel less hungry. Roll out of bed feeling good/ready to go. A lot less morning stiffness. Rarely need to slowly ramp up onto my day. My mental clarity is fantastic and often a bit too much. As a man, my testosterone feels a lot higher. Like when I was 24.

Grainy carbs like bread and cake usually makes my head feel shitty, now. Same with potato chips. Although something like an actual yam is fine. Sugar feels fine. But too much of that stuff and you get those midday crashes and start to feel sluggish and stiff upon rising from bed. I went through a rough reminder, during the holidays with pie, cookies, etc.

1 Like

I buy all my spices in bulk. Half price or less, compared to branded spices in containers. And No fillers. Example: The anti-caking agent in table salt, is made from aluminum. So I get Himalayan salt. Terrasoul brand, 2.5 pound bag extra fine ground on Amazon. Won’t need salt for a couple of years.

The cumin I buy is like $3 or $4 for a couple of ounces. A 2 ounce branded container would be $8-$10. Last time I bought bulk Paprika, it was $1.37 for 2 ounces (I still have the baggy with the sales label).

1 Like

i’m so inspired by this

1 Like

Cool! It took about 8 weeks to really start feeling the full effects! You gotta stick with it. People usually kick diets before the 5th week, claiming it didn’t help/no difference. Your body needs time to clear out years of shit.

I cheat once every 7-10 days. And honestly, my cheats are usually pretty tame. Ice Cream. Or a chocolate bar. Reed’s ginger brew. Last week I ate half a watermelon. Which I consider a cheat, because that was a lot of sugar.

i work at an upscale organic grocery store and get a 30% discount on everything so i’m trying to figure out how to reframe my diet now that i have the ability to do so. also i get a free meal of brown rice and tofu + vegetables every shift so that rules.

i generally avoid eating meat except for special occasions, and try to only eat chicken or fish if i do eat meat. just trying to eat lots of whole grains and vegetables

i need to get rid of my sweet tooth!

3 Likes

one thing i distinctly remember is when i was 18 and swore off fast food and started experimenting with a vegetarian diet, a couple of weeks into it i felt like a completely new human being with vastly improved energy levels and clearheadedness. like i’m still fucking stupid but it was like a lil fog that was omnipresent had suddenly dissipated

1 Like

fasting is one thing i’ve never tried but would like to, particularly cause it seems to have some kind of spiritual significance to it. it’s hard for me cause i’m addicted to having a thing to have for comfort, i used to go and make a bunch of coffee throughout the day, even if i was just making it weak enough to not do much

i was never able to do a calorie count myself. when i want to cut i just start keeping it bland and make everything plain. that’s kinda become my usual diet at this point, the platonic ideal of food as water to quench thirst has some appeal to me

thinkin about not eating animals anymore

2 Likes

that’s quite a system, i remember reading about almost all this stuff in a high t context. that’s a good idea with the raw seeds, i do most of my shopping at a walmart that doesn’t have a nice bulk section to it. i need to get to a place that has one, one of these days.

i had similar problems when i was doing a low carb thing. i had some ice cream and almost had like a diabetic shock, which scared me. so i ended up stopping with that. on my current thing i eat almost nothing but carbs, from unrefined grains and legumes and the like, and i don’t feel any sluggishness or crashing. it’s weird, it’s like high fat and then carb are separate tracks in a way that’s pretty strange

1 Like

I had a sort of spiritual experience with fasting ten years ago. I did real ass fasting then though. Didn’t eat for two weeks. And did some running in that time. It was pretty great. I liked just not having to worry about food at all. Just drink water and do whatever you do normally. I think I made a soup once for minerals or electrolytes or whatever. Also, enemas because the feeling of hunger is actually a sort of pain caused by excrement that doesn’t get moved out of your system because your intestines don’t move when you don’t eat. I developed a really keen sense of smell after a few days, especially for anything food related. Just smelling food was immensely satisfying. Didn’t make me want to eat though. When it came time to break the fast all I wanted was an apple. Just an apple. It was the tastiest food I had ever eaten.

A lot about that felt spiritual. Not that I believe in anything supernatural. It was just… Nice. Elating.

I don’t think I could do that again nowadays! Something in me was very different back then, mentally.

Counting calories is pretty easy if you only eat like twice a day and don’t eat at restaurants. I hope it will be worth the trouble in a few months.

3 Likes

toptube I’ve been meaning to tell you:

real prosciutto and other whole charcuterie should just have “pork, salt” in the ingredients list. now I’m not sure if the actual act of curing creates nitrates and it’s still haram for you, but they have neither added nitrates or celery seed (aka added nitrates) either. well, SHOULD have neither I should say, as there is no reason, as salt is sufficient to preserve whole cuts as opposed to salamis, etc, which can actually be found the same way sometimes. I know for a fact that actual “prosciutto di Parma” is legally required to be just pork and salt (and from Parma) but you’ll still see sodium nitrate on some brands of prosciutto cuz they suck I guess

1 Like

My current routine seems to be:

Eat at 1 pm, around 800 kcal

Eat at 7:30 pm, around 800 kcal

In between have a couple cups of coffee with milk and maybe a softdrink and that gets me to 1800 kcal per day. No snacking or shenanigans.

This should be pretty good for weightloss for me, as I am male, 6’1 and around 99 kg. I don’t do much at all, just sit around, but I think I still need around 3000 kcal per day, if I remember correctly. Maybe it’s just 2800 but it’s more than 1800 kcal either way.

Can’t wait to weigh myself in a week or two!

Reviving this thread to say that I managed to lose weight! I’m now 96 kg and I haven’t smoked in over a month. Seeing how you tend to gain weight when you quit that’s a pretty good result. Now the real gainz/lossez can come

3 Likes