Headphones threaf

also what the heck

so what I’ve sort of decided is that I have the money to keep around the DT 770s, which are basically the most I want to spend on a closed back headphone. I wrote up a little thing on my website but the upshot is that there seems to be a big gap in the market between the sub-$200s (770s/M50X) and any significant upgrade (Shure SRH1540 at $400).
also i stretched out the headband on the 770s and the ‘fatigue’ feeling is improving a lot because of it, they’re getting more comfortable as they break in.

I think if I were to return the DT 770’s, if anything it would be to replace them with either the M50X or a more budget closed-back that gets close to the quality and maybe does better with Sonarworks.

I’m gonna keep shopping for a quality open-back around $200. Continuing to look at Sennheiser/Drop HD 58x, 6xx, and the DT 880s. (maybe even the individually calibrated ones SW sells…? :open_mouth: ) worth getting into planar magnetics like HE4xx/5xx at this price point? on second thought i’m getting way too crazy here. down girl…

sweetwater has pretty sweet (hehe) return policy, but in general I think I’m too early to be spending on a dedicated headphone amp. rather put that money to the cans themselves or to other audio/music production gear. (i’m lusting over some midi controllers in the music technology thread atm)

also also, it’s really relaxing to accept that I can safely ignore IEMs because they’ll never work with my ears and earwax situation

1 Like

I’ve got the Drop 58Xs atm and while I like them, coming from DT 990 Pros (250 ohm), they definitely lack bass in comparison and also the cable (which, to their credit, is replaceable/modular since they plug in at the drivers) is a bit too short for my liking

honestly, I’d wait for the 990 Pros to dip back to the ~150 range like they seemingly do every couple of months. also, I miss my dearly departed 990 Pros so much

edit: I clearly didn’t look hard enough because Sweetwater straight up has them for $150, that seems good

also I forgot to mention the soundstage, which are way more than good enough for games and great for music

1 Like

also, random q: what’s the best iphone app to get an actually-functional EQ to use with spotify? looking for specifically a good music player app that will integrate with spotify and also has strong EQ features.

I was looking at streaming Spotify through Vox Player but you have to pay $5/month for Premium in order to use EQ, and also i hear their customer service is sketch.

im actually thinking about getting the dt770s cos my neighbours are extremely obnoxious so i need closed and my hd599s let anything and everything in

Do it. I wear my dt770s every day and that plus some not-all-that-loud music is able to keep me from being distracted by the hours of daily work calls happening 20 feet away from me.

already did! was difficult as they’re apparently quite hard to get hold of post-brexit
they’re good yeah

1 Like

these old ass pioneer headphones look so cool

4 Likes

I’m bumping this thread because I’m looking for some good over the ear wired headphones for gaming/streaming/casual music listening but also to take on airplanes for stuff like trips to Salt Lake City.

I have a pair of Sanheiser HD 202s, but the pads are all rotted and replacement pads are like the cost of another set of low end Sanheisers anyway.

Any recommendations?

For the money, I’ve been really pleased with these, and now they’re Super Cheap

1 Like

Ten bucks? Good lord! I am willing to pay a fair bit more for sound quality, but I’ll keep these in mind!

I’m by no means an audiophile but I have experienced a good deal of buyer’s remorse when trying to find bargains on the low end of the market. FWIW that has not happened with these.

1 Like

Thanks! For ten bucks I’ll just get a pair even to have as backup headphones if I end up splurging further down the line!

Have you ever tried active noise cancellation? There are lower cost sets nowadays but some people are sensitive to the antinoise. I would definitely recommend ANC on a set for airplanes, makes the experience far less grating.

1 Like

I borrowed a set of Bose noise cancelling headphones when I flew to the UK. They were my only experience with noise cancellation. I think they were active? They certainly seemed to help on the long flight.

Do you have any you would recommend?

Yeah, they’d definitely be active.

I’ve tried Bose, Sony, and Microsoft’s. I think sound quality is best on Sony, ANC is best on Bose, and fit/finish are best on Microsoft, but they’re all within a marginal band on each. I currently use AirPods Pro because they’re unobtrusive in public but I still have my over-ear Surface Headphones 2 going unused if you want to give them a try. Shoot me a DM if you like.

Anker makes a pair for $80 but I can’t vouch for them.

2 Likes

im still enjoying the dt770s, find them extremely comfortable (this is obv very subjective but there’s a ton of padding) and they’re not leaky

my phone drives the 80 ohm pair just about well enough, 32 might be better there

2 Likes

This video made me lean mostly towards the Bose QC 35 II. I just wish they didn’t have the worst leakage performance in the pack.

The touch/gesture controls that can get finicky in colder climates are a major turn off for me on the Sonys as I’ve had touch/gesture gear that had those kinds of problems in the past, and it’s extremely annoying.

The Surface phones look cool but seem to be the least portable and maybe not as comfortable to wear as the Bose.