HALO

ok i’m all the way caught up to s2e7 and man, the writing for parangosky and ackerson really nosedived the last few episodes. and dont get me started on makee, the writers cant seem to decide what her deal actually is. i’ve never seen a tv show that has the ability to go from amazing TV to shlock in the span of a few episodes like this.
i think one of their issues is so many disparate plot threads that they struggle to tie together outside of major Season Events like Reach.

still holding out hope we’ll get to see some of our favorite Halo Reach cyborgs. the timeline seems to be all compressed - assuming reach happens in 2552, per canon the Spartan-III program has been going for 20 years at that point, but the show is clearly operating with different timeframes and their whole introduction to training to deployment was compressed into like, a few episodes. gonna have to do a deep dive on halopedia’s Silver Timeline articles and figure out what’s going on here

it feels like they do better when they’re taking obvious cues from established canon as far as structure, and less good when they’re just completely freestyling - with some counterexamples, e.g. Ackerson is definitely better in the TV series than the usual canon

Shoutout to SPI armor btw, I was definitely like this when I saw that

hqdefault

also this feels like a nitpick but i really don’t like the conlang they chose for the covenant, every time i hear it, it feels like something that was particularly suited for human mouth anatomy? like from a linguistics perspective i’m not sure how you make click consonants* with a mouth that doesn’t close fully and a tongue that is stored in the throat. doesn’t feel very alien. then again maybe i’m just speaking from nostalgia

(*may or may not be actual click consonants)

1 Like