Grotesque videogames

I’m on a mission to explore the depth of from’s pre-souls level designs/worldbuilding so I’m willing to suffer a bit

1 Like

YOU’RE FIRED

pretty sure this predates even mortal kombat’s garishness

tbh I kind of dig its aesthetic in retrospect

4 Likes

90s 3D graphics are the best.

WAR GODS might just be uglier than Clayfighter 63 1/3.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Still feel like Die Hard with semi random events and some proper gunplay would be frickin’ fabulous.Or well, maybe not semi random events per se, but some simulationist elements. Trying to lure terrorists away from the hostages to pick them off one by one, stuff like that.

The way that the viewport on Top Banana keeps moving around is legitimately nauseating.

2 Likes
1 Like

uh what is that title screen depicting exactly? What is he doing to that poor lady?!

beware the teefs

playing a lot of SMTIV and I find it be rather pleasantly grotesque. it’s visual style is a strange blend high res-2D art, prerendered backgrounds, and gamecube-era 3D graphics. for added visual weirdness the enemy designs were handled by three different artists who all have fairly different visual styles, down to line styles and everything, and often you will see two or three different styled assets interacting in one cutscene. I can’t find any screenshots that really show it off, but here’s some gameplay footage (with some spoilers, I guess). be sure to mute the volume so you don’t have to hear random gamer dude talking over it:

if theres a game that should be grotesque its probably smtiv

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thank you. I’d been trying to remember the name to that for a while so I could post it in here. It’s the perfect example.

1 Like

Manhunter 2 swings between legit great artwork and bafflingly abstract and disorienting computer maps of parts of San Francisco, and the admirable attempt to make the story wordless makes the progression feel like nonstop non sequitors. Someone give these guys 100 million dollars so they could actually deliver on their concept:

Spaceship Warlock on the other hand is delightfully total garbage:

2 Likes

I loved Warlock >: |

I’ve always been so curious about the Manhunter games, the world seems really cool and some of it looks great but yeah I have no idea what’s going on 98% of the time

1 Like