Grotesque videogames

this one

4 Likes

Already mentioned Harmony of Dissonance. Iā€™d also add Drakengard, Zombies Ate My Neighbors (basically unlistenable to me), Chakan: The Forever Man, and a lot of Streets of Rage 3.

It was revealed that Mamoru Samuragouchi isnā€™t deaf.

That RE track honestly sounds compositionally fine to me (not to say that it isnā€™t ~gurotesuku~) so yeah I can imagine it being more convincing with not hilariously bad synth brass.

2 Likes

unless Iā€™m mistaken, the entire dual shock edition is new versions of the original RE soundtrack. listening to the entire thing, it suffers from poor instrument quality/arrangement throughout, but the basement theme is a particularly egregious example

Do the Evergrace soundtracks count as Grotesque?

Argument could be made either way.

4 Likes

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

you wound me so ;__;

I think you mean own you so 8)

1 Like

Friggin O.W.N.E.D.

Evergraceā€™s music just sounds weird/eclectic to me, not really alluringly gross/garish

3 Likes

burn

It also turned out he didnā€™t actually write a lot of his famous pieces so ???

what a hell of a career

countdown til someone shares that fuckin taz game again

Yeah not only was he not deaf, he was outright paying other people to compose other tracks by him. Didnā€™t this all come about after the Olympics or something had him do a song?

According to Time Magazine, yep.

the resident evil songs
are allā€¦goodā€¦

man, reading that article after having regularly interacted with people with hearing impairment,

Niigaki revealed that he had regular conversations with the composer, who seemed to hear just fine.

Thatā€™s not really how hearing impairment works. IIRC the usual actual question to ask is ā€˜can you have a conversation over the phoneā€™. I see no reason to believe that he can hear music just because he can actually hold a conversation in person.

2 Likes

Everyone should listen to the Shadowhearts soundtracks, btw.

3 Likes

i bought evergrace today for 300yen because of this post

Bad decision. Evergrace is a bad game with an amazing soundtrack