Grotesque videogames

Bless the Saturn for giving us so many ugly JRPGs to uncover as fantranslations become easier in the future.

Airs Adventure:

Daibouken: St. Elmo’s no Kiseki

Edit:
Yellow Brick Road:

6 Likes

Were you watching the stream? It ended with this game, which is a perfect fit.

1 Like

I was! I was the only person in chat who kept insisting that Battle Monsters and Baku Baku looked cool, lol.

Honestly, BM has a really cool roster. Someone pointed out that Skythe looks like Bert from Monster Party, which is hilarious.

I downloaded this from the original HotU on a 56k modem. It took forever. It didn’t run on my Win98 PC without enabling some compatibility mode and dropping to 256 colors which made my icons look weird. Worth it.

there is nothing grotesque about cosmology of kyoto

Never forget that Ninty let us make our own grotesque fighters. And we did nothing with it.

2 Likes

This seems like the appropriate thread to celebrate Code of Princess’s Steam release

And Soda Drinker Pro as well

1 Like

Man. There are a lot of really fucking ugly fighting games.

I wonder if it’s just one consequence of everything trying to be Mortal Kombat.

Dino Rex’s ugliness is pretty swell, and captures the feeling of playing with dinosaurs toys as a kid.

3 Likes

gokuu densetsu: magic beast warriors is yet another ugly fighting game with digitised sprites, but i think it deserves special attention for its combination of no-budget tokusatsu, bizarre backgrounds and bgm with lyrics

there’s also little-known sega racing game cool riders, which is like outrun on motorbikes but also ugly as sin:

4 Likes

Commercial DooM TCs sure went places.

Keeping in mind that these levels are supposed to represent your solitary hero travelling across a decimated cyberpunk dystopian America via the Internet, somehow.

Which reminds me, everyone should check out Virtuosity.

As well as this freeware game.

1 Like

And of course the graphics guy on Hacx is now a bigwig for Oculus because the cosmos is a gamboling harlequin

1 Like

Let’s not forget his contributions to DooM and Halo.

4 Likes

More than Daggerfall I immediately thought of Die By The Sword:

Also, I remember a lot of full 3d PS1 games being really striking, but I’m not sure if I’d go so far as to say ‘grotesque.’ I’m thinking of like Nightmare Creatures, and especially that Spawn game

1 Like

Arguably ugly, depending out how you feel about elipsoids, but I think Ecstatica is gorgeously “grotesque” and quite evocative of its horror through that bizarre form of visual expression.

The whole playthrough is really interesting. My friends at Bravemule invited me over one night and we watched this and I was hypnotized the whole time.

2 Likes

Man, that’s surprisingly brutal for a game that looks like that. That looks wild!

This is pretty close to a game that I’ve been thinking of but don’t know the name of. It might be a Saturn or PS1 RPG. Also has BALLZ characters. At least, I think it does. It’s been a while since I saw a video.

EDIT: Here we go.

2 Likes

goddamit, i haven’t even watched this video and the title screen music is playing in my head

edit: and then as soon as i post that, i realise it’s actually the music for defender of the crown on the amiga, a game that is definitely not grotesque (but also not particularly good)