what on earth is this tho

5 Likes

I’m sorry, that looks amazing

1 Like

I just realized we haven’t added Batman Forever to this list

@american2004 this may be right in your zone

11 Likes

I love how this looks

In the cacophony it took me a while to realize that when Batman spawns the audio clip goes:

“WHO IS!
…
…
…
batman”

2 Likes

It’s really the fucking Descent explosion and Doom flames that sell it for me

And presented such that they’re happy to run 10 on top of each other.

It’s too much it’s too much it’s just right

Watch with sound on:

3 Likes

heck yeah, Colin, the jack of all trades trailer cutter/scene decorator/jujitsu fiend at 17-BIT, would put this on every morning to wake Granpa up in the lounge

2 Likes

Probably the (visually and aurally) loud, garish pre-rendered Takumi “reflect-em-ups”

i definitely remember being really confused by this game because it looked both really expensive but also really bad. the whole digitized / prerendered look was just so abject. I remember feeling precisely the same way about games like this* as I did about hair metal as an even younger child, in a weirdly specific way.

It just seemed like everyone who acted like it was good couldn’t possibly be serious. Having the impression I was supposed to think it was great but didn’t made me feel kind of nuts. Yet at the same time I was optimistic enough to assume that by the time I was the same age as the people that these things were apparently intended for, stuff would look completely different. And in both cases I was right! By the time I was a shitty 13 year old or whatever there was grunge music, and Mario 64. I mean both of those things are equally dated now, but they at least seemed more plausibly “for” me. I think things like this are what convinced me that generation gaps existed.

*Except it was specifically Primal Rage, which should be in this thread if it isn’t already

7 Likes

If Batman Forever was the future of games I think it’d be insufferable, but now, as a dead end, I can admire its harmless overindulgence. And because it embodies that offshoot more than anything, it feels like a decadent masterpiece from a form falling out of fashion, like the last rococo piece before the Revolution.

It’s so weird how Primal Rage’s obvious desire to be a Harryhausen homage got crossed with Mortal Kombat and '90s 'tude. If they’d played it straight it would be remembered as a colorful, vibey thing. Instead it’s the game with a pee finisher.

7 Likes

the genesis version is also hideous

Wow, somehow I played this and never connected it as a port of the arcade game. Well, it’s not, but it definitely shares some assets, and…top notch use of the Genesis’ one and only sound channel

2 Likes

is this too obvious

8 Likes

Is the grotesque part of this how bad this youtuber is at playing Snood

5 Likes

Lands of Lore 1 and 2 might be the biggest grotesqueness delta between two series entries ever

From this:

Lands_or_Lore-1

lands-of-lore-the-throne-of-chaos_29

To this:

lands-of-lore-2-02

266893-destiny

18 Likes

modern screenshots/footage of snood are shockingly hard to come by, in fact. it’s like most people have forgotten it exists (yet if you mention it literally everyone is like “omg I was addicted to that in 2002”)

2 Likes

Indeed! I suggest that for remakes rather than sequels, the steepest grade is Hydlide to Virtual, b/c the original is cute and the other is scary

5 Likes