Goty two thousand fifteen

This is normally a useful thread. I think it was decided that Downwell was GOTY2k15 yeah? Discuss

monster hunter

Undertale has the popular vote. Thoroughly enjoyed my romp with Monster Hunter though. Still playing through Downwell too! Hard choices ITT.

some games i haven’t played: rocket league, kerbal space program (really? was that this year?), f4llout, mgs5, wolfy the old blood, witch3r, bloodborne, super mario maker

invisible inc probably deserves a shout

edit: SNAKEBIRD

My pick would be either Undertale or Invisible, Inc., depending on my mood at the moment you ask. I’ve played other new games this year that are good, but those are the only two that stand out to me as really fantastic or memorable.

Rocket League is super fun if you like trying to play soccer with an RC car and lots of pretty explosions and things. Downwell is fun too. I’ve only played 15 minutes of Undertale and apparently it’s really good, so i’ll probably try again.

Super Mario Maker, Splatoon and Metal Gear Solid V are probably my GsOTY, due to the amount of time i’ve sucked into them all.

MGSV has such tight controls and is probably the only open world game i’ve really latched onto and has just so many weird and wonderful things going on inside.
Mario Maker is like finally having a fun-to-use level editor AND a stealth Mario Paint sequel AND a collection of a bunch of user made levels that are fun and super hard and weird.
Splatoon is the only competitive online shoot man I like and it’s got such a cute, colorful energy about it i haven’t seen since Jet Set Radio.

Iiiiiiiit’s Soma

I’m pretty sure I haven’t played a single game released in 2015, but of the ones that were I most want to play Bloodborne and Invisible inc. That counts for something right.

oh and darius burst looks pretty rad. mario maker too.

1 Like

Defining GOTY as I usually do, that being the game that has convinced me to not drop videogames for a more mature (in the medium sense) hobby for another year, my GOTY is either Undertale or Fallout 4.

1 Like

Probably Grow Home, for me. But I’m going with @tacotaskforce’s definition

that’s a good definition, @tacotaskforce.

Bloodborne is probably my pick. Undertale was pretty great too. It made me smile a couple times, which is something a game rarely gets out of me. Bloodborne had best-in-class action and a world that didn’t need you to think about it, but really rewarded you for thinking about it.

Oh hey this thread is going to help me write my list!

preview: Oh Deer, Capsule Force, Star Wars Battle Pod.

Man i still have to go with Witcher 3.

The combat wore out its’ welcome fairly fast but the story and dialogue (both in terms of writing and voice acting) set a new bar for the genre. And damn if it isn’t just gorgeous to look at and listen to. I rarely used fast travel (only to Skellige, really) because it was such a pleasure to ride around on Roach, catching the sights along the way.

1 Like

I want to keep to my pick on old and busted SB, Assault Android Cactus, a twin stick shooter about chibi fembots killing other robots

but maybe I’ll just be boring and say Splatoon

honorable mention to Evolve, the game I liked most that everyone else hated

I’ve actually played a few 2015 releases since this was brought up on ye olde selectbutton.

Titan Souls is basically an indie pixelart Shadow of the Colossus with an interesting “you get one arrow and each boss is killed via a single shot to their weak point” gimmick. What it loses for unoriginality it makes up for by being rather pleasant to take in. I think I’d put it as my favorite game released this year.

I’m almost finished with SquareCells and it is as expected really solid all around. I think it is a slight step down from the latter Hexcells games due to there being less variety in the shapes of the puzzles, but Matthew Brown has a gift for this flavor of logic puzzle design that as always shines through. I think I give it a slight edge over Snakebird as while I find the puzzle mechanics in Snakebird more interesting you occasionally get a few puzzles in it where you are just brute forcing your way through options until you find the correct arrangement; in SquareCells things have to be thought through at every single point.

I don’t think Her Story was good enough to be a true GOTY candidate, but it probably deserves an honorable mention due both how distinct it was and how well it executed its premise.

1 Like

I had never heard of Undertale until this thread so I decided to poke around. Looks like a game I want to play, but that steam page describes it as “an RPG game” and that shit just tilts me so fucking hard

1 Like

Her Story and Grow Home are my top two, Witcher 3 and Bloodborne are not markedly better than their predecessors but both hugely great and well made and probably 3+4, Invisible Inc and Titan Souls and Duelyst and Gang Beasts and Downwell are all mechanically and aesthetically wonderful, and Undertale rounds out a top 10.