Games You Played Today VI (III in the west)

i’m still playing OMORI. taking a break for zelda time :tm: but i just wanted to comment on the motivations and design of a certain fight that i had a blast getting my ass handed to me to.

AESTHETICALLY PLEASING BOSS / / MAJOR OMORI SPOILERS AHEAD

HEART MACE! HEART MACE! HEART MACE!

this is SWEETHEART. she is a character who is built up a ton before you actually get to interact with her at all. she does the evil anime woman laugh. everyone in the world loves her. this love has gone to her head. she loves herself so much that there’s no room in the world for anyone else. there is a scene when you’re in her ( very pink and large ) castle where you finally make it into her room.

she is not there but there is a giant statue of her ex-boyfriend who you’ve already met in the beginning hours of the game. you wake him up and he is so sad about his breakup that he decides to beat everyone’s ass. it didn’t take me that many tries to beat him, however. . .SWEETHEART is another story.

maybe it’s my weeb upbringing but i love her design and motivations so much. a character who loves themselves to the point of ruin. it’s a decent commentary on ’ toxic positivity ’ and the kind of thing that prob happened in lolita circles a lot or just even on message boards where the designated ’ kawaii ’ person turns out to be a sack of shit lmao.

i also think that it’s a nice look at what someone’s shadow side would be like. i have theories about who this character pertains to, but i won’t speak on that right now. i’ve got quite a few hours before my first run is over so we’ll just have to see what the story has in store. i just find characters like this fascinating. she loves herself so much that she winds up trying to marry herself.

at any rate, besides the a+ aesthetics of having a morning star shaped like a heart, the damage she gives and the buffs that increase her speed and power just hit you like a truck. i mean, i was having so much fun actually HAVING to heal and strategize who does what when instead of my usual bulldozing, that i CHEERED when the party died.

it was just a blast.
the sort of rush that i look for in a good turn-based boss fight!
whoo-hoo!

i think the only reason i can’t beat them is because i need to level a bit more.

10 Likes