Games You Played Today ver.1.22474487139...

please don’t do this to yourself

leave the apple on the tree

do not let the asps at Digital Foundry lead you from Eden

11 Likes

It’s interesting you say British because it was made by American McGee in Shanghai.

5 Likes

I hope the guy named “American McGee” is actually Norwegian

2 Likes

british is bad but there’s this particular strain of ‘americans trying to be british’ that’s even worse

and those pretend accents they do in a lot of vidcon voiceovers, fucking hell

14 Likes

Aside from pushing my system bus from 66 to 83Mhz and bumping the clock speed up a bit on my old beige G3 back in 2000, overclocking has only ever resulted in instability and no real performance gains for me.

1 Like

undervolting: wave of the future, dude. One hundred percent e-lec-tronic.

4 Likes

gone are the days of just getting an extra GHz on Sandy Bridge with the stock cooler

it was free real estate

4 Likes

my 10 year old 3570K that’s been delidded and which I accidentally cooked the iGPU off of at one point until it started working again 3 years later loves to get an extra GHz with the stock cooler and be undervolted

I’ve never felt more like I’m torturing a rock

4 Likes

Digital Foundry popularizing 99th percentile framerate as a metric of concern made caring about performance seem miserable when it’s a totally solved issue in the age of VRR

The funny thing about Elden Ring is no amount of horsepower makes it run “right” at the moment

4 Likes

ultimately a lot of games are like this, where they have some unresolvable bottleneck not that far north of what console performance can achieve, and that leads PC enthusiasts to regard them as irrevocably broken

which, well, I do really like it when FH4 can hit 144fps, it’s nice when it happens nice, but those are always gonna be the exception

but for real there isn’t a single thing in the pipeline that I need a better CPU to run so while Elden Ring was probably this thing’s swan song, I have plenty of time to rebuild

3 Likes

Before the PS5 came out, Sony promised a firmware update to add VRR real soon after launching, but a year later something’s still holding them up. VRR adoption is really advancing at a snail’s pace and I’m not sure what the problem is.

3 Likes

yeah, that’s one of those “open standards” that’s unfortunately like a half-decade-plus behind the vendor solution that popularized it

4 Likes

Really? The Xbox One S/X had it patched in retroactively in 2018 and the Series consoles launched with it. Weird

2 Likes

Yeah if I was going to guess, the problem is somehow with the “openness”. If Sony’s update breaks 0.1% of TVs that have an extremely jank implementation of VRR, it could easily cause them to hold it back repeatedly trying to work around the problems

1 Like

the correct term is “target audience for the king’s man movies”

7 Likes

What is the reception of those movies like in the UK? They feel like they’re made for people who think James Bond isn’t nationalist enough

2 Likes

they keep coming out, so i guess they must be profitable. but i’ve never seen or heard anyone talk about any of them

3 Likes

Dude worked on DooM. And is American.

1 Like

Ok but his name sounds like something I would call an American if I couldn’t remember his name

3 Likes

I got a short-lived summer job once, doing door-to-door canvassing for Citizens Campaign for the Environment. We were trying to get people to donate to a campaign to prevent the state of Connecticut from dumping dredge spoils into the Long Island Sound. My trainer was a woman from Spain, named America. (I am always so surprised when foreigners wind up on Long Island, it’s a nice place to live but I feel like it’s just not a place I can imagine people going to on purpose to start a new life lol).

And so every time she introduced herself to somebody, “Hi, my name is America,” I had to wonder if people thought she was doing some sort of metaphorical thing.

6 Likes