Games You Played Today ver.1.22474487139...

8bitdo’s lineup is generally very good and very well priced and they are the only people who make a lot of wireless controllers that are compatible with both switch and generic Bluetooth

1 Like

Ah yeah I was looking at those earlier. Is the one that looks like an SNES controller actually good or is it just a gimmick? I have no idea what to make of the placement of the joysticks on those

actually good! There are a few revisions, I have one of the earlier ones that looks exactly like an SNES controller with dual shocks, since then they’ve added handles and changed the design to be less infringing

1 Like

Like felix said I got an 8bitdo Pro2 I hate the back buttons but have learned to ignore them.

1 Like

Depends on your hands but I found the Pro 2 very uncomfortable due to the stretch to reach the shoulder buttons from a dual analog grip. Adding handles to a SNES controller is obviously putting other goals before comfort/ergonomics, ymmv

I like the Hori Split Pad Pro for Switch games in handheld, or you can get a Mayflash dongle to use other controllers e.g. DualShock, Xbox.

4 Likes

I didn’t like the 8bitdo SN30 Pro but I wasn’t using it for Switch and also wasn’t comparing it to what is available for Switch so it might still be one of your better options there.

I didn’t like it as much as say the 3 button Genesis controllers that come with the Genesis Mini, original Saturn controllers, 3 button or 6 button Genesis controllers, SNES/Super Famicom controllers, or the modern Xbox controller.

Hori controllers are usually quite good.
Can’t speak from experience for their Switch ones.

1 Like

it’s ‘ok’ until you start to get more abilities

What the hell, this sounds rad. Is it rad?

1 Like

Yes! It’s very good. I don’t have much to compare it to in terms of mechanics but the setting is charming, the boss fights are interesting but very challenging (to me) and the music is super cool. It’s not that long but there’s lots of weird little items to search for that prolong it a bit. Although the bosses are super hard the rest of it is pretty accessible, though there are a handful of really challenging platforming sections

3 Likes

The Eurogamer review makes Horizon FW sound significantly worse than the original, in a way that’s pretty convincing to me and echoes BunchesOfBees’ comments. Sounds like the same basic robot-hunting goodness is in there but buried under even more AAA mush that requires increasing tolerance to look past. And the graphics are better but that’s more than canceled out by how they couldn’t really figure out how to develop the narrative (and the new need to put Aloy in the driver’s seat of an epic plot is what causes her newly annoying personality)

I am not sure whether or not I have that level of tolerance, after all there’s a reason I don’t play a lot of open world games. But anyway I already bought it and I still plan to play it sometime this spring/summer like I mentioned earlier.

Maybe I’ll find it as on-balance-pretty-good as the last one, maybe I’ll find it insufferable and stop after 5-10 hours. I’ll try not to get too frustrated if it’s the latter, that’s life.

5 Likes

I don’t know if this will clarify anything for you about the Hard Mode mindset, but I found Baba is You left me nervy and amped-up after every session like I just drank too much espresso, whereas Sekiro generally left me in a relatively calm state of active awareness like I just drank a cup of hot black tea.

In action games it’s just training and tactics that lead to success, not focusing harder on any given attempt, and if I manage to internalize that, the stress goes away. And in some sense the whole fun of hard games for me is precisely the stress going away and experiencing myself as a cool operator unperturbed by chaos. It sounds from what you said about feeling a “superpower” you didn’t realize you had, you experienced something similar.

11 Likes

Yeah! In the best moments its kind of like this, but with this one in particular it was more like I just did it over and over and over again, and the time I finally managed to complete it I didn’t really understand how it happened. Like, in the beginning of the fight it didn’t feel particularly like a “good” run, but I somehow managed to come out on top in the end. Retrospectively I know there are probably like subtle skills that you’re improving the more times you try, but the only thing I experience in the moment is just getting angrier and angrier about my repeated failures lol. Video games!

2 Likes

played infernax today, too gore to play, and metroidvania style level design is too obviously, which cannot give u pressure, feel like only suggest level up, get a ‘double jump’ ability and come back. sooo mediocre, can’t get the same passion as Beholga.

7 Likes

Broke down and finally got Cyberpunk on sale after playing the 5 hour console trial… It’s really hard to encapsulate how I feel about the moment to moment gameplay but at least it looks nice when you’re standing perfectly still.

2 Likes

7 Likes

I’m the opposite, Baba is You is my bedtime game, I usually attempt a level or two on my iPad while listening to a podcast. Sekiro made me feel like pulling my hair out when I missed 1 out of 20 deflects and lost half my health for it.

7 Likes

It’s sad I suppose but I think this was easy to see coming from miles away. The way they ballooned and then wrapped up the end of Horizon gave me no confidence that they really had anything interesting in the tank for a sequel.

Increasingly of the opinion that sequels are almost always by necessity inferior works, unless the creator frees themselves from the mental restrictions of sequelness by putting barriers of process between themselves and the original work (e.g., in games, a massive technology shift or making a “spiritual sequel” that revises mechanics while freeing up the narrative).

Goes with my other pet theory that novelty is the source of art. Never hits the same way the second time.

8 Likes

That’s a bummer to hear about Horizon. I’m just about as open-world poisoned as a person can be, but still enjoy ones that at least try to do something a bit different. Sounds like this one is just cribbing what it can from others without really doing much to build on what the first one did, huh?

I think that might be why I went as nuts for Guardians of the Galaxy as I did. I mean, apart from it having a genuinely fantastic story, it was a 20-something hour game that ends. Just…what a concept, in this day and age.

2 Likes

are there any good examples of open world sequels? or at least narrative heavy ones. ubisoft stuff usually gets away with it by a big location change and only loosely connected stories. i’m not sure how you can really justify just doing the same open world checklist all over again in a new horizon game.

Watch Dogs 2 was better than the first one by pretty much all accounts but that still wasn’t enough for me to beat it

A little bummed to hear about Horizon but I’m sure I’ll still be exposed to a lot of it, the first one is probably my wife’s favorite game and the second came out just in time for her to be bedridden for 6 weeks after surgery.

In a moment of extreme gamer privilege I am pretty annoyed that you can only move saves from ps4 → ps5 one way because the ps4 is in the bedroom and the ps5 is on the nice TV and it’d be great if she could move back and forth between the two so I can play gran turismo 7 at the same time

3 Likes