Games You Played Today V: The Phantom Play’n

secret of evermore sucks

5 Likes

I had access to an ipad pro today so I played one credit of Air Twister.

Graphics are so good, wtf? Perhaps it’s because I don’t really game at the resolution / dpi afforded by modern ipads (even on pc i play on a 1080p monitor), but it really surprised me.

More importantly than the visuals, I ADORE the knockoff Queen music they chose for the soundtrack. It’s amazing.

Playability was hampered by my hand obscuring the screen. Would love a port to anything else.

After dying it offered me some continues but I declined. It then showed a screen with a bunch of mobile clutter for what i presume were boosts and cosmetics and login perks and all sorts of stuff. I haven’t really played mobile games in a decade or so, and that put a sour taste in my mouth. I immediately exited the app.

9 Likes

That’s the exact reason I didn’t like it! And Lost Vikings hate. This poster gets (the things I also do not like.)

3 Likes

Character switching is bad. That nu castlevania game was ruined by that. Uh… bloodstained or something

2 Likes

So I am most of the way through Deus Ex GO before it disappears forever and even legally acquired copies no longer function (my copy was gained via a free giveaway so totes legit). If you are unaware it is a puzzle game and one of the most useful things for a puzzle game to have is the ability to undo a move, it isn’t strictly necessary (some game mechanics are distinctly move-based, etc.) but when possible it is so much nicer to be able to take back a mistaken move rather than have to do the whole puzzle over again.

Deus Ex GO’s puzzles are relatively small but while it launched without an undo feature it was added in a later patch, the thing is that it has the number 50 next to it and it decreases by one every time you use it without ever going back up even after you complete puzzles. I looked it up and if you use up all 50 presses of the undo button you lose access to that feature unless you pay to get more of them.

What a dick move!

15 Likes

hahaha

And that was their third one? Someone got halfway through watching the bottom fall out of the premium tablet game market and came up with half of an F2P plan before going to lunch and never returning.

4 Likes

experiencing trials and tribulations in the colosseum

finally,

17 Likes

i played about an hour of Neon White for the first time. damn that’s some cool visuals and music. whoever this Machine Girl person is is really going places!! and even though the game’s stages are basically Lovely Planet it’s a least a more expanded version of that. and i’ve played way too much Trackmania in the last 2 and a half years of my life so the time trial aspect appeals to me. but damn… i hate this anime nonsense plot. even in the like ‘ironic’ campy way i’m supposed to probably take it as.

11 Likes

we beat xenosaga 3! where 2 blew in kknda interesting ways this is mostly just fine in boring ways. the mech combat still sux and the boss HP bloat gets intense. the combo input system from 1 and 2 is gone and the dungeons are boring. it feels way more cookie cutter.

the social/ political context of the world, lost in eppy 2, does not return. instead, 3 rockets you through a million increasingly climactic plot points and (to its credit) sets up and knocks down character resolutions like a series of dominos. but the character sympathies get even more bonkers as we wrap things up and dive into shion’s very bad ex bf, and the magdalene stuff, when that comes in to play, feels like it amounts to little and the ending still feels rushed and underwhelming. unless you just want what seems to be xenogears set-up (down with their recycling/ revisitation of themes but perfect works is like zelda timeline levels of please do not talk to me)

1 is my fav tho i suspect knowing where things end up my appreciation wld deepen and ultimately diminish on a replay. some scenes in retrospect just arent worth it. and all the potential is spent. whatever it was promising, it ends up xenoblade 3. which surprised me. i spent the entire last 3 hours thinking oh this is literally xenoblade 3. its aimed at 14 yr olds not 13 yr olds and its a bit denser. but when you cut through it its the same stuff. where previously ive enjoyed seeing things, like, revisited, recycled, here i just felt like they did this exact thing again but (hate to say it) a bit better. not that blade 3 doesnt also trip over itself towards the end.

was it worth it? the footsteps are way way way too loud, especially in any area it decides to make them echo. kinda into the tink tink tink step sounds as characters walk around in a good chunk of the ending tho. so maybe. i liked 1 and pied piper. and found 2 interesting. i hope the DS version gets translated.

12 Likes

It’s actually slightly funnier than that; it was the third game in the GO series (Hitman GO and Lara Croft GO before) and the one universal request in all of them was to please add an undo button. This means they only got around to their most requested feature in big post-release patch of their third and final entry… and this is how the handled it.

6 Likes

That feel when you get to the last turn of a 4 lap race and the car in 2nd place who’ve you’ve been ahead of by 2 seconds the entire time overtakes you at the last possible moment. Then reaching out and slamming the power button on the xbox

10 Likes

The OST was legit my album of the year and I didn’t even play the game.

3 Likes

Genuinely had me reconsidering Aevee Bee’s whole career

3 Likes

You will miss the times Neon White was dealing in nothing but US anime fandom Facebook memes when it decides to get serious and reclaim Christian values from its anime-hating conservative parents

6 Likes

glad i bailed because i don’t like the low momentum air control lol

1 Like

one of the reasons i actively avoid playing games like this is i don’t want to have the inevitable response of “i don’t like this very much” to something someone i know worked on (or even something someone i know knows the person worked on because then if i say i don’t like it around the wrong person they get defensive on behalf of “x” who is apparently a really nice person and i’m a dick for not being totally happy for them even though i’ve never met them before and just reacting to the work itself (i.e. Celeste as one example here)). and then also invite the “you’re just jealous” type responses either internally or externally because i feel sad i’ve never had the opportunity to work on something this big etc etc and i should be happy for someone i don’t really know who has different priorities than me for some reason. also people being like oh you’re so OBSESSED with hating on things that come from Annapurna, you must have a problem!! i really hate being in this space sometimes. there are so many times where i’m like “oh if i had just done this thing and not said that thing maybe i would have had that opportunity” that inevitably comes down to “if i would have been a completely different person, maybe i wouldn’t still be broke.” it just makes me wanna scream engaging with this space.

but yeah, whatever they were going for with the story… does not work in this game. part of me even wants to be a contrarian and defend it a little because so many people don’t like this aspect of the game but like… it’s not camp in a way that really appeals to me at all.

12 Likes

I wanted to try Neon White eventually because it involved (some members of) Arcane Kids and I really like Bubsy Visits the James Turell Retrospective. Your comment pushed me to go ahead and try it out last night.

Of course this shoots more for mainstream appeal than the Arcane Kids stuff and, as I thought, the story is merely something to skip or endure. Reminds me of Disgaea, but fortunately with only the bland anime comedy and not the uncomfortable character designs.

One thing that surprised me is that I actually like replaying a level to get a better time. I figured I wouldn’t bother with that, but it’s kind of a fun puzzle. But even with my making an attempt, I don’t think I’m going to come close to @Bee’s times or others on my friend list.

10 Likes

you take that back

Disgaea 4 is a moving character portrait about a vampire who eats sardines instead of blood amd never breaks a promise

14 Likes

I thought she only did the (some of the?) character design, not any of the writing?

1 Like

She’s credited as a writer

1 Like