Games You Played Today V: The Phantom Play’n

had a rough week emotionally so i spent a nice slow weekend with a few comfort games. little bit of PSO, slowly making progress on pokemon violet, and playing a bunch of skyrim for some reason. behold Many-Problems, lizardgirl of your dreams

18 Likes

Playing more Elden Ring. Beat Margit on the bridge in two tries but getting into stormveil castle is very very annoying with the windy boys who kill me very quickly

6 Likes

Saying the same thing I say anytime anyone brings up Skyrim which is you should really consider playing the Enderal TC instead. Although I admit it is not as comfy because it can be quite challenging and I get that part of Skyrim’s appeal is that it’s piss easy

1 Like

cuba you play bethesda games when you’re sad, you play the total conversion gothic style mods when you’re not trying to chill. i don’t start up fallout 4 unless im extremely depressed and want to play my heavily modded version with increased spawns, removed player voice acting, and crusader no remorse music where you play as a faceless ODST and there are 100 feral ghouls 20 levels above you are waiting for you outside the vault and every interior location is like doing a rainbow six terrorist hunt with 100 enemies while you need to eat sleep and drink, the gates of diamond city are like constantly being besieged by mutants, ghouls, and huge swarms of 1940s guys called TRIGGERMEN who have like al capone guns and you’re doomed to roam forever killing everyone in sight until you finally die in todd’s prison. C’mon

12 Likes

the sfc mario picross game on switch nintendo online is the most intense gaming i can manage these days

oh also playing like ten minutes of dragon quest iii at a time every few days

entering my salaryman era

29 Likes

embrace salaryman

10 Likes

beat hakinowa explorer plus in one 5 hour go, idk felt inspiried, got even better when i learned how to level the shops

4 Likes

Somehow died eating a blue ghost right after getting a power pellet in Pac-Man (Pac-Man Museum+, PS4). : P

Can’t find anything on a glitch like this so I wonder if it’s particular to PMM+. It’s so silly since the game pauses when you die so you’re just staring at your dead Pac and the blue ghost for like two seconds and saying WHAT. THE. HECK. Or well I said something like that probably 1228: Pac-Man PS4 \\ 33K - & killed by a "blue" ghost!! = oo \\ Pac-Man Museum+ - YouTube

Maybe I shouldn’t play these Pac-games, they seem to be filled with weird glitches. = P

8 Likes

@OneSecondBefore I found a new game to play while listening to albums or podcasts; it doesn’t even have music so you can never feel bad for playing something over it.

Runs on Windows, Mac, or Android (no iOS port which is unfortunate, because it has been a perfect phone game for me; the games can be long but it’s all turn based, doesn’t require internet, and can be saved and resumed at any point).

It’s really tightly designed – a little puzzley and boardgamey. There’s a neat difficulty system where you draft blessings and curses, and there’s a ton of variety (100 heroes, 350+ items, a bunch of enemies, and a handful of weird modes). It’s been very entertaining for only $7.

Most modes are just a series of 20 tactical fights with a few strategic decisions between (upgrading heroes, choosing and equipping items). Heroes are fully healed between fights, but heroes that died on the previous fight will only be revived with half health.

The fights are fun little puzzles with lots of opportunities for flashy tactics or satisfying strategic payoffs. Since the game involves dice, there’s a bit of press-your-luck excitement too.

I’m having a lot of fun with it!

13 Likes

That looks fantastic, thanks for the recc! I could use another silent game like this.

2 Likes

i played a lot of minecraft dungeons even though im not a big fan of minecraft. its basically diablo but less complicated maybe? i dont remember much diablo now. first thing i did i went to a tower that has randomly generated floors where you have to kill all the enemies to move on. it has its own leveling and gear system in that you get an enchantment point and pick one piece of gear out of six options every time you clear a floor. you spend your points on leveling up enchantments that your gear has that be anything from “this sword does fire damage” to “this armor summons a bee to fight by your side every time you get hit (max 3)”. i cleared it, 30 floors, on my second try, and my reward was a “harp bow” that fires 5 arrows at once and has two enchantments that has the chance to ricochet arrows and turn one in 3 into bombs that explode a second later. it is also very powerful for my level at the time, which was 1.

what this meant was that for most of the first few missions i did it was just a lot of maneuvering around enemies and hitting the right trigger so i can fire my bomb arrows and take down hordes of enemies that are higher level then me since you can decide the difficulty too. just as i was thinking of switching out the bow because at that point it had a lower power level then the rest of my gear i unlocked a npc that lets me upgrade the power level of one gear at the cost of not being able to use it for 3 missions. i did fine without it, so now i have it again and its mowing down enemies even better now. its basically the mindless game i need with just enough thinking because the difficulty in the game mostly just becomes about crowd control at that point. theres no defensive options in the game except for rolling away, and you do have infinite potions but they have a long cooldown. given that at the difficulty i play many enemies can take out a big chunk of my health in 1 to 3 hits it means, even though it is mindless, i have to be Just Enough Aware to avoid being hit or find space to recover my health or whatever but Not Too Aware that im wracking my brain figuring out combos or something when i can just mash. im a girlboss and a bimbo. its good because ive been so exhausted lately.

the curse is that the harpbow plays what is basically a stock harp sound effect every time you fire it, it sounds like something that would play when a poorly animated cartoon wizard in a old dos game would cast a spell on something. several times a minute just wizard_harp_effect.mp3 over and over. it haunts me. its playing over and over in my head right now. i cant escape it.

anyways its good but i get sucked into it cuz the missions are really long and whenever im like “ill just play an hour” it ends up being 3 which is a lot given how busy i have been. a lot of harp sounds.

16 Likes

The neat thing about this game is that they built all the Diablo-style special abilities into gear, so it bypasses character creation complexity (good for kids and pickup play) and lets and forces you to try different abilities as you power up your gear. Getting new gear isn’t just changing some good stat synergies, it’s switching abilities, so holding onto old gear and getting new stuff is a more interesting decision. Smart ideas.

6 Likes

people might have been talking about Muramasa Rebirth, which plays a little faster than the original. Leifthresir, in comparison to og OS, plays a lot faster and more action game-y; OS, on the other hand, is more of a pumped up evolution of Princess Crown that demands stringent exploitation of items to level up when needed and is generally a lot more limited on the dumb ass combos you can put together

6 Likes

The Steam versions of Arcade Game Series Ms. Pac-Man, Pac-Man, and Dig Dug–I didn’t get the other one, Galaxian–by default run a 7:9 game screen doubled to 448 x 576 in a window; you can toggle it down to what looks like probably half-that, which would be their native arcade resolution of 224 x 288, or, on my 1080p desktop, up to maximum window size; the 1x and 2x window sizes are super sharp, looking like pixel-perfect scaling–something the always-slightly-blurry PS4 versions DON’T do–while the maxed-1080p window size IS slightly blurry, since it’s not quite able to reach full 4x scale.

The just-under-HD-sizes native game window scale would require huge borders to match standard HD resolutions without pixel-imperfect scaling, so I’m settling for recording it at borderless 4x 1792 x 2304 resolution. That comes out pretty sharp. And even if it’s somewhat tinier on-screen, I can finally I can play Ms. Pac-Man at perfect pixel sharpness, woo-hoo! = D Eyeballs rejoice! And having them on PC allows me to employ some gamma adjustment, which also seems to aid the visibility of these CRT-designed games on my monitor, especially where those dark blue Pac-Man maze walls are concerned.

I could swear my arcade stick’s control feels a little sharper in these PC versions, but I haven’t done input delay comparisons–no point, really, since these ARE the only real option ;^)–and it could easily be my imagination.

8 Likes

got a game called roarrr because it was about wrecking stuff as a t-rex and also on sale for £1. it was totally frictionless and unexciting, and just made me want to play the godzilla game instead. so i did.

the godzilla game is still so good holy shiit

11 Likes

Felt the urge to play Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and intended on playing a single match in the campaign. I played for three hours and wiped out the imperial guard from Kronus with my Necrons.

5 Likes

good timing imo. salarymans are very much in vogue right now. 9 out of 10 vtubers agree

4 Likes

you can make any game into a sam barlowlike by listening to all of the dialogue audio files out of order without context

13 Likes

I kept getting frustrated with Pyramida but then wanting to try it one more time. This last time, however, when I thought I was finally getting somewhere, I discovered that skeletons can walk right between walls even with no gap. Why does the game even have walls? At any rate, there will not be a next time.

8 Likes

Putting dwarves in a fortress. It’s good. I am regressing to a more youthful self, the self who nearly failed all my sophomore winter finals because I put all the dwarves in the fortress too hard.

I feel that I haven’t yet mastered even the new graphical UI, but it’s so much easier to get by with partial knowledge in this UI.

I think there’s a murderer in my fortress which is very exciting!

18 Likes