Games You Played Today V: The Phantom Play’n

Arcade Archives Double Dragon (PS4)

I punched a guy just as a stick of TNT exploded

and he froze like that

and I thought it was funny so I didn’t try to hit him out of it and just moved on

which was probably a mistake because once I finished off the other enemies in the hallway the game didn’t advance to the boss room and you can’t backtrack so I was stuck

and I had to start all over again but I now I was mad and I did a lot better so maybe it worked out

Legendary Technos Japan director Yoshihisa Kishimoto Yoshihisa Kishimoto - Wikipedia , who invented the modern beat-em-up with Renegade & Double Dragon, created the weird dodge ball game genre with Super Dodge Ball (arcade; not the NES version though which is really what made it sing), and maybe made the best arcade wrestling game ever with WWF WrestleFest–I know nothing about that scene but that’s what people say on the internet–among other exploits, is credited as “Director and Producer YOSHI KISHI” in the DD credits.

Come to think of it he also directed the recent “get the band back together” Double Dragon IV which unlike DD1–but like, say, Kishimoto’s arcade DDII–wasn’t very good, but definitely has a crash midway through it so maybe the hang I got here brings it full circle. = o

Then again this was only the fourth entry in Hamster’s Arcade Archives series and they were still working stuff out like they didn’t even have a “return to title screen” option in the menu, didn’t have a separate Hi-Score mode, and you couldn’t zoom the game screen even close to the full screen height, so for all I know that guy freezing could be an emulation error. I’ve never had this happen before in DD as far as I can recall and I’ve been playing the game–way too sporadically, because I’m awful at it now–since it came out in the arcade when I was a kid.

5 Likes