Games You Played Today Part 007 Goldeneye

Fun fact: In the time she has finished 5 Zelda games I have beat exactly one of the Divine Beasts in botw. I have not been playing anything else. 60 shrines though!

16 Likes

WW was like a seed of internal dissonance that i associate with why i ended up on ic/sb

wind waker shown off → gamers revolt against “game for babbies” → game comes out, is critically acclaimed → game is actually terrible and should be revolted against → no not like THAT

21 Likes

i should actually finish links awakening i had it for my game boy color as a kid but i was too stupid to play it and would just wander around in a dream like state talking to people and washing up on that beach again and again. but even that was enough to make it my favorite zelda besides like wind waker i guess. i havent played too many of them

13 Likes

yeah i was kind of laughing/crying at the Electronics Boutique price sticker on my used copy of Silent Hill 2 that i bought for $19.99 back in 2000-whatever when i was home from college and would kill time by scouring these stores because there wasn’t a lot else i wanted to do when i got back to suburbia (aside from going into the city as much as i could)

Neo Contra will always stay in my mind as it was the last game my high school best friend and i played through to completion post college before i went off in a weirder life direction and he got married and had a child. i initially regretted the purchase because the game was “less serious” than Shattered Soldier (a mistake of perception on my part) and was full 3D, but the two of us plowing through it together really reshaped my entire ideology around the game

8 Likes

Some favorite moments from the Zelda franchise, in no particular order

Finding that dude camping under the bridge in A Link to the Past
The Sky Manta boss battle in Minnish Cap
The little scene where Link and Marin chill on the beach in Link’s Awakening

15 Likes

I got my Earthbound for $12 on clearance at Best Buy, and I remember they had a wall of them at the time.

13 Likes

Silent Hill 2 is a very common game! it’s not like Rule of Rose or whatever. it was easy for me to find SH2 or 3 for years and it was always around 15-20 dollars. only recently has the price shot way up. it’s so frustrating.

7 Likes

it’s super dumb! and often makes no sense!

like PC-Engine Dracula X is roughly the same price now as it was back in the late 1990s and it has to be objectively harder to find. these prices have no relation to rarity or anything and i guess are just preying on people’s nostalgia? i guess there are more game likers than there used to be, too, and with more game likers, comes more dumbasses

6 Likes

$13.74 with shipping. I kind of wish all my carts had names of the previous owners or whoever scrawled on them. Hopefully it runs. ^ _^

Update: it does! = D

17 Likes

Wind Waker was made during the time when the series was IMO becoming an overly formalized series of sequences rather than having big messy overworlds with lots of stuff going on. So like all the WW islands are single function puzzles rather than places you explore. I always loved the ocean but it sucks that there’s so few things to explore out in the world

I remember one island that starts out as a house you can buy and then underneath is a wretched water filled chamber filled with redeads. The game needed a dozen more islands like that filled with horrible forbidden secrets

22 Likes

Wind Waker has that absolute scam of a shop loyalty program where presenting the card you get for making 30 purchases results in being given a verbal compliment by the shopkeeper which heals you and that makes it simultaneously the best and worst video game of all time

23 Likes

radiant silvergun is the one that always drives me crazy. i think it was the first game to get that “rare and valuable” label back in the early 00s, and it’s really kept that. and i know it had a small print run or whatever, but if you’ve looked at ebay at any time in the past 15 years, there’s always been a ton of copies for sale, all of them still listed at over £200. is anyone even still buying it at that price? it’s clearly not rare or sought after enough to justify it.

5 Likes

When the XBLA port was announced, everyone suspected the price would come down because of that said Mystique and it didn’t happen. Then when the switch port was announced the landscape changed so much no-one batted and eyelid.

2 Likes

this feels like a valid interpretation of the game tbh

5 Likes

still mostly playing threes or simon tatham’s puzzle collection, though i’ll admit i also play the WSJ crossword on squares.io coz it’s free and i’ve gotten very used to their stock clues. i’ll play zelda soon

5 Likes

if you hold the button to check your current objective in life is strange 0 it cuts to a shot of chloe’s hand with it written in sharpie

25 Likes

Trespasser’s revenge

8 Likes

there’s a weekly shonen jump crossword?

5 Likes

Went back to re-evaluate the tables in Pinball FX (PS4) since I learned you can turn off the silly animated “toys” added on to the classic Williams tables (Circle button toggles them) and ended up kinda liking 20 of the tables, uh-oh! = o

Summary

Attack from Mars, Tales of the Arabian Nights
The Champion Pub, Swords of Fury
Cirqus Voltaire, Space Shuttle
Creature from the Black Lagoon, Party Zone
Dr. Dude, No Good Gofers
Fish Tales, Monster Bash
FunHouse, Medieval Madness
Bride of Pinbot, Theatre of Magic
Black Rose, Twilight Zone
White Water, World Cup Soccer

6 Likes

Please put that many pictures behind a cut. Thank You.

6 Likes