Games You Played Today Oratorio Tangram

If I took out the interactive CQB action-phase, I think I could solo indie-dev a game based around the diagrammatic tactics and planning of R6 1-3. The question remains whether that would be compelling. If I watched an abstracted version of the mission take place, would it still provide a thrill?

That’s preeeetty much what Frozen Synapse is, and they’re coming out with a sequel soon that’ll add god knows what. You should play it first.

EDIT: For what it’s worth, my preferred method of playing R6 is in co-op, with like an actual planning phase by looking at a map with humans rather than programmatic AI. Frozen Synapse isn’t really my bag therefore. Basically what I like is gun handling and positioning, is what it comes down to.

2 Likes

there’s these burglar games, The Clue! and The Sting! that are all about the planning phase on a heist and then watching it play out and see if you trip an alarm or whatnot.

there’s a game called door kickers and I’m not sure but I think it’s supposed be the swat version of that, I never looked into it.

Ready or Not looked like the most promising rainbow six successor but who knows if that’ll ever turn into a finished game.

2 Likes

Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I’d never heard of The Clue! and The Sting! before.

Ready or Not is forever on my radar for dropping a Coil reference in their trailer. Site hasn’t updated for half a year, unfortunately :frowning:

you should make your game though and make it play out with river city ransom style sprites of swat guys and terrorists getting shot

2 Likes

everyone buy siege starter edition and play with me and dongle

4 Likes

Tokyo 42 was on sale so I bought that

It’s… another game I will need to use mouse aiming for

Nice BGM

2 Likes

On steam or a console?

steeeeem

RS Vegas/RSV2 is good if you play on the harder difficulties. Better than I expected

played doki doki literature club. I don’t think it earns its whole “we used anime tropes so you wouldn’t expect the reveal” thing. Just use another trope instead, dude.

talking about endings etc

I thought the first proper ending most ppl would get (the one where monika is the only one left and she sits there and watches you and then you restart it again and the game becomes corrupted) felt like it was pretty obviously commenting on like the predatorial nature of a lot of dating visual novels, and how (especially if you buy into the game’s kinda underwhelming attempts at humanising its AIs) you’re buying a product in which all girls are coin machines who will reward you sexually for inserting enough coins in them kinda thing. It felt very much like it was flipping that around and saying look at this girl in the game who basically did minmaxing in the same way you do it but she did it to you, how do you like it? It wasn’t like super nuanced but it worked.

Anyway then we reset the game and got the “good endings” for all three girls and got the “final good ending” or whatever, and its just sayori saying “hey I know this is a game. Thank you for playing through all of our endings. Only a person who truly cares about everyone would do that. I’m gonna turn the game of now. Goodbye. Thank you so much for your love” or something, and like, that so hugely undermines the message of the regular ending. Like, you do the maximum psychotic predator thing and get with all the girls, and the game thanks you for it? What the hell.

Anyway I am now on a visual novel wave and am gonna play we know the devil and ladykiller in a bind, but also, i am gonna play sakura spirit lol.

4 Likes

okay I bought siege. the regular version. I bought a key off g2a for 20 dollars so don’t worry, my money went to some human trafficking ring, not ubisoft or tom clancy. my uplay name is parkerbarnes. and I want to make it clear the reason I own call of juarez on there is because Cuba made me. allegedly we were going to play it co-op but we NEVER did so I debased myself for absolutely no reason

7 Likes

Anything could still happen.

I didn’t play it, but it seems clear from a glance at any screenshot that if it was intending to be critical, it can’t avoid falling into the war movie problem (they always accidentally glamorize war at least for part of their audience).

But war movies are necessary and anime games aren’t. And anime has been disingenuously introspective, self/audience-critical, and full of metaphysical twists since Evangelion so I’m not sure what is supposed to be fresh here.

1 Like

I bought this game but it’s going to take me probably 4+ hours to download on my internet.

great work everybody

Among its other issues, DDLC feels like a game that was written by people who are aware of the tropes of certain types of visual novels/“dating sims”, but aren’t actually that familiar with their structure, contexts, etc. They want to use the form, but it’s an obvious artifice to the anime-poisoned; commentary on a strawman.

There was a Japanese eroge a few years ago, from the publisher that brought you SBcon’s favorite visual novel, which used a lot of similar themes and devices to DDLC. “Kimi to Kanojo to Kanojo no Koi”, or “Totono” for short. I’d be shocked if the DDLC devs hadn’t seen that Youtube video (CW: graphic violence, Mature Dialog) subtitling the ending of the game. In fact, I’m pretty sure that was specifically the inspiration for DDLC.

DDLC’s main idea is “isn’t it kind of fucked up that these characters were created only to love you, the player, via your self-insertion character?”, while Totono’s main idea is “isn’t it fucked up that you, the player, via your self-insertion character, are always swearing True Love, Eternally, to girls in these games, then you turn around and do the same thing with all the other girls?” As I understand it, Totono is about as manipulative about the player’s “choices” as DDLC is – that’s probably a more interesting point of commentary than anything either of these games tries to say themselves.

2 Likes

Making a “choice” in a branching-paths videogame is basically the same action as flipping pages to a chapter in a book, so it’s always been a thin conceit to pretend it says anything at all about the morality of the player. People either read the entire book from end to end (try every path) or read the chapters that look like they’ll have more interesting content in them.

2 Likes

[touches your comment]

it’s cold. there’s no warmth here.

My reaction to a good chapter of fiction isn’t cold, though.

I wasn’t intending to deny that videogame choices are also performative, but to draw the connection that one also mentally “performs” the action in a novel in one’s imagination, and this is much like pressing a button and having the action play out on screen. And for those people who play games performing not only a consistent character but one which they identify with their real self, genre fiction is also full of self-insert, first-person-perspective characters not too different from videogame player avatars.

2 Likes