Games You Played Today IV: Quest of the Avatar

i bet the sound effects are sampled from their own cars

6 Likes

(I am very seriously considering a rom hack to de-gender the dialogue for this game I just bought because aargh)

10 Likes

s/o to forza horizon 5 for the they/them option

5 Likes

this doesn’t even have a she/her option! grr!

8 Likes

games shouldn’t talk about you in the third person if they can’t be polite

15 Likes

I always confuse Alundra and Azure Dreams. I have never really played either of them, but I remember when a friend played them, whelp, high school us had a lot of nicknames for the vehicle in Azure Dreams:

13 Likes

this is similar to the time i found an article about training your cat to not bite/scratch, but it used he/him, and i copied it into a google doc and changed all the pronouns to they/them. except more complicated.

6 Likes

also re-reading that post i think cat pronouns might be bite/scratch

16 Likes

I’ve been emotionally wrecked by the music of Kuricorder Quartet in Phantom Crash, I’m sobbing uncontrollably listening to Baobab Street in the music menu screen. I was gonna play some mech games and now I’m a mess. god damn it

the only other piece of music that was able to do this to me was Edgar Frose’s “Epsilon in Malaysian Pale” and he had, like, a mellotron. These are four dudes with some recorders! what the heck!!

10 Likes

split between telling you “watch Azumanga Daioh” and “maybe only watch the first few episodes of Azumanga Daioh”

their music gets used a bit in GCCX too during travel segments

3 Likes

no. watch all of azumanga daioh

9 Likes

Read azumanga daioh

7 Likes

embody azumanga daioh

15 Likes

play

5 Likes

messed around in ddr last night, tried some songs that were at the upper limit of what i could do when i was playing seriously as a kid — surprised myself!

18 Likes

I had the chance to play this at a local arcade a few months ago and it’s an excellent puzzle bobble! Got some interesting spins on the formula, even! In two player mode you can shoot into the other player’s side of the screen. Sorely wishing you could make a Dreamcast run Naomi games, because I’d love to play it at home

4 Likes

video title is apt - but also that may be the softest ddr machine i’ve ever heard, i am not used to hearing ddr cabs at anything but maximum ear-crushing volume

1 Like

Dragon Quest II doesn’t feel as joyful to me as I. i am not giving up on it, but the lack of real direction feels less fun when the world is 4x bigger and the fights take at least 2x as long and the encounter rate is about the same.

thought it was fun that one of my characters got sick/became an NPC so early on - really feels like the kind of thing they’d save for the latter half of a game, these days. now i’m basically just in exploration mode - looking for what to do based on general things the townsfolk have told me.

i thought opening the door to see the King who was hiding in Tantengel would have been some meaningful story progression, but no, he was like “oh heh i’m retired”

actually nvm, DQII rules

19 Likes

I do relate to wanting to play things on original hardware but I just want to point out that you can play this game’s versus mode online over Fightcade

1 Like

yeah, I’m not precious about it being original hardware - I know it’s technically emulatable but I’ve never had a truly good experience with DC/Naomi emulators

2 Likes