Games You Played Today Classic Mini

Model 3 Emulation can get bent since it hardcrashes my computer every time.

the ā€œdance expertā€ challenge in songpop 2 considers total knowledge of avicii and david guettaā€™s discography to be expertise. which is a really funny way to make pretentious techno people (and me) mad

the meta in songpop is actually really interesting because no one listens to ā€œ2018 Country Hits,ā€ if you choose that shit youā€™re admitting to your opponent that they know more music than you and you would rather play a guessing game with them

1 Like

At the persistent insistence of a friend of mine, I have started playing Suikoden.

Wish I could save anywhere.

Have%20It%20All_p

I wanted to write up some thread evaluating Slay The Spire and its roguelike strengths (constant build decisions, decent degree of consistency despite cards, emphasis on fitting against enemy probability space + patterns) versus weaknesses (ascension is burnout zone past distinct points, super-boss / ā€œtrue endingā€ encounters randomly shuts the player out regardless of deck strength). This would be in the context of me releasing a beta character card pool mod for it as the Steam Workshop now supports, a complicated and trans-as-hell touhou lich.

Of course, I did this while I was busy with academia starting up again and gender paperwork demanding attention, so Iā€™m quite drained. Iā€™m also honestly a bit terrified of the pressure of visibility- over a week Iā€™m in the top ten of most popular and subscribed-to with 6k subscribers, I had a pile of hotfixes to ship, I have to go get and process an offered Chinese localization, and thereā€™s some fuzzy spaces of design highlighted by having far more people play it. Thereā€™s so much more to do and I have to force myself to set it down for a while, and itā€™s just all so much altogether.

ā€¦also, itā€™s nice to recieve praise and numbers, but I kinda wish I had anybody besides the other dev / gf to chat design and flavour with. Might have a big streamer interested over upcoming weeks and a handful of people bringing up individual balance notes, but that seems to be about it. The official Spire channel for modding is a clique of in-joking boring memesters who donā€™t care about refined individual design (ā€¦also, so many bloody mods either invoke stall / replay tedium, screw around with healing and self-damage in a game designed around attrition, or dilute other pools and basic currencies). Chat elsewhere seems unenthusiastic about mods too, though Iā€™d readily praise a handful of other mods. Always, such a struggle, to catch conversation in a bottle.

Battleforged%20Bonds_p

7 Likes

Very cool; excited to try this!

I love Slay the Spire and Iā€™m excited to try out your mod! What other mods would you recommend?

EDIT: I see that you made some recs in the post you linked, thanks!

Committing atrocities again.

Tetris%20(World)%20(Rev%201)_03 Tetris%20(World)%20(Rev%201)_04 Tetris%20(World)%20(Rev%201)_01

Did you know?:
ā€œTetris Effectā€ is actually a colloquialism for ā€œdespair and bemusement at the lack of lock delayā€

7 Likes

i have Hollow Knight. im head over heels for it. i love it antenna to thorax. It is so bold and beautiful aesthetically and itā€™s right in the pocket for me (a game about cute bugs?? Get right outta here!!)

i like the sort of Zelda 2-esque up/down slash element to the combat. it took awhile for it to click with me. the moss knights and then Hornet are a real difficulty spike, but in a good way, because i had to engage a bit more actively with the up to that point relatively simple combat. Then finally beating Hornet and getting the Mothwing Cloak (air/ground dashes) felt like an impactful, game-changing reward. Im surprised at the so far slow pace of doling out upgrades but i think i kinda dig it. You could potentially rush for them after all, itā€™s just youā€™re given an unusually large amount of room to explore before needing to get a powerup.

The characters are all immensely charming and well-written too. i want plushes of the protagonist and Hornet. And those little grub babies! And all of them tbh

edit: also shoutout to the cute little buglish voice samples that play when you talk to the NPCs. i keep muttering ā€œ(sigh) baka nadaā€ like the cartographerā€™s wife

9 Likes

I played this! I donā€™t know that I can meaningfully give much feedback as Iā€™m still pretty new to Slay the Spire myself; Iā€™ve only unlocked ascensions with the latter two default characters. Still, the Administrix definitely clicked with me in terms of mechanics, because after a greedy first start was cut short, my second attempt cleared pretty easily. Having two Convergences going makes it trivial to maximize duality uptime, and I felt untouchable despite stuffing my deck with all sorts of nonsense. The class does still feel pretty authentic to the kind of mechanics that Slay the Spire has used so far. I like it a lot!

1 Like

hmm i might have to give this another go now

I tried playing Bloodborne for the first time for a couple hours, and then remembered that I never wanted to play a game like this again after I finished Dark Souls and played something less tedious instead.

2 Likes

if you found dark souls tedious, itā€™s probably a wise choice to skip bloodborne. itā€™s a lot more difficult. not to mention having to farm blood vials if you suck at the game.

1 Like

i posted about watching my partner play this in its own thread, but every time the wife said ā€œbaka nadaā€ i repeated it like two or three times

2 Likes

PSVRā€™s resolution, at least on a base PS4, is definitely low as hell compared to PC (thereā€™s no way theyā€™re even rendering at a base 1080p before upscaling to the headset framebuffer), but it also doesnā€™t matter at all? itā€™s both more noticeable and more irrelevant than I wouldā€™ve thought

3 Likes

on the other hand this has also reaffirmed for me that my lenovo headset is still absolutely fine and a stonking good value; I was reading a bunch of reviews to the effect that the colours and focal point &c. all cut corners compared to other PC headsets but they definitely arenā€™t worse than PSVR

also another sign that PS5 doesnā€™t really have to do any better than Pascal (which also has that hardware feature that lets the GPU only have to render one eye and transform it rather than two) to ship something thatā€™s noticeably improved and also functionally good enough (I think the Lenovo renders natively at 1440x1440x2p90 versus what looks like 720p90 or so coming off of the PS4)

No one should ever release a new console again

9 Likes

supercomputers only

Hot Take:

Floigan Bros: Episode One fucking sucks. The water pipe was made by someone that hates video games and wants them to die. It is worse than anything Takeshi Nationalist did.

The writing and animation are both good, actually.

There is a hug button.

There are multiple lines that I am sure youtube gamers would cackle over because I cackled over their innuedo. So I guess I had a good thirty minutes before it pulled this water pipe shit. Which I screamed multiple times outloud and definitely reached never play again.

Edit July 30th 2001? So it was also one of the last Dreamcast games? Honk.

1 Like

I made several attempts at getting past Bloodborneā€™s character creation screen over the course of the last few hours- all unsuccessful, Iā€™m ashamed to report.

4 Likes

hey select buffon

so iā€™ve been playing some baldurā€™s gate 2 lately. usually I donā€™t really play video games, and then I get a powerful urge to play one specific title. that title was BG2 a few weeks ago. iā€™ve never played it before. itā€™s real cool, but I donā€™t know anything about DnD spells or what have you, so I generally have no idea what Iā€™m doing. I keep swapping people in and out of my party because everytime someone wants to play I gotta check 'em out. people are always doing things in this game. I like that. but it means I will never save imoen and all my experience is going to be divided between like 12 people so I will always suck.

when you pull things back the game seems pretty generic. you know, open-ish world, talk to all the people, do all the quests, fix all the problems, buy the swords. but it never really feels like that, at least not yet. if you ever wanna play skyrim or some shit you should probably play baldurā€™s gate 2 instead. though I guess most people my age who have heard of BG2 have already played it.

Iā€™ll probably be poking around in this thing off and on for another 6 months, provided I can end up being sufficiently competent in figuring out whether I should use spell of Protect Against These 6 Specific Things or spell of Make Enemy Slightly Less Likely To Instantly Kill You But For Fuckā€™s Sake Donā€™t Use It On A Vampire What Are You An Idiot

also between this and starcraft itā€™s pretty obvious that path finding in video games as a concept wasnā€™t invented until at least 2001

7 Likes