Games You Played Today Classic Mini

yeah this

1 Like

ssx tricky probably has the softer spot in my heart for the same reasons i prefer tony hawk 3 to 4 but my only real glaring issue with ssx 3 is that it doesnt have fucking tokyo megaplex, the greatest level in snowboarding game history

1 Like

yeah ssx3 rules. i played it on Gamecube. magic mountain music. how they havenā€™t made a snowboarding game as good in the intervening 15 years i donā€™t know. just do that again!!

1 Like

At this point this is basically like yelling freebird at the stage but yeah, do another one! I donā€™t remember what I played more, I think it was Tricky. That sound effect/music magic was what really drew me in and kept me going. I would have never guessed a snowboarding game would get me hooked but thatā€™s the power of videogames. You can make anything work

1 Like

A reminder that you can get SSX3 on Xbox One BC with One enhancements for less than 10 bucks

1 Like

I finally did a 6-chain in Panel. Iā€™m so smart!

4 Likes

Panel 1 Drake: PCP
Panel 2 Drake: PdP

3 Likes

Or you can be like me and hack your Wii U to play Gamecube games on the gamepad. Best experience obviously

3 Likes

I canā€™t decide whether the combat in Supraland is redundant or not but I donā€™t really resent it
Nice vidcon

just saw what you did there

1 Like

Downhill Domination is pretty darn good

digital devil saga: avatar tuner is so sick, this is gonna be the first smt i actually play all the way through i think

what the fuck?

5 Likes

DDSā€™s whole thing is convoluted. Its story was partially written by Yu Godai, but then Satomi Tadashi (basically THE Persona guy, his departure is why Persona 3 and on are so different) took over and expanded on it because of Godaiā€™s health (to be honest, this probably really helped the game, Satomi Tadashi is a very good scenario writer) and then he wrote a novel expanding on events in DDS, and then Yu Godai went on to also write some novels based on DDS called Quantum Devil Saga (that were translated to English and you can buy and read).

3 Likes

i played Tricky and loved it something like 10 years before i ever touched 3. remember seeing screenshots and thinking ā€œit looks so ā€¦ plain?ā€ with mostly bare mountainscape without much of the crazy multicoloured lighting.
so it says a lot how quickly it drove its way into my heart once i did pick it up. just - the constant, organic sense of flow; i never felt i had to think about what i was going to do next as it would come to me at the time through natural reflex. having the mini pseudo-open world villages instead of booting you to a menu after each course was a stroke of genius (imagine if mario did that), and probably more compelling in practice than any ā€œactualā€ open world Iā€™ve seen in vidya.

i will say in comparison to Tricky, the amount of flips you can pull off a single jump, especially after levelling your character, are a bit silly. before it felt like there was more pendulum-weight to it; a bit more significance to making it all the way around.

3 Likes

I had a real good time with SSX Blur on the Wii. after I left my Wii at my friends house while I was on vacation and he did little else but play SSX Blur I came back and he taught me the weirdly specific Wiimote control scheme and it turned into a wildfun dance party game.

SSX VR might should be a thing

More faffing about in Elite Dangerous over the past couple days:

Recovered my losses by finding more alien barnacles and finally delivering a meta alloy to the Engineer. This opened up the chance to boost my frame shift drive (light speed engine) using components and data I had never seen before. Now Iā€™m using wake scanners and data link scanners and scavenging salvage and doing a bunch of neat new things.

All this is leading to me getting a powerful enough engine to head out to less-explored space.

3 Likes

I remember really hating DDS. Mostly the first game but I remember enjoying the second one more. The writing and pacing of the first game just did not match with the actual structure of the game. To many scenarios where time was a factor for the characters but the game refused to let you rush to match that plot pacing.

The homebase is one of my favorite memories of DDS1. Helps that it has maybe my favorite Meguro track, too.

1 Like

thatā€™s from the wrong game

1 Like
2 Likes