Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

I’ve been playing both Descenders and Lonely Mountains: Downhill and really enjoying both. On the downhill biking tip for whatever reason.

Lonely Mountains is the more charming of the two, with dynamic camera angles that might throw you off if you don’t pick the “Steer in the direction you’re pressing” controls. There are four mountains with four trails each and all have their own challenges, including unlockable night modes. The trails are very well designed with lots of shortcuts and room for creativity, basically made for speedrunners. You can also just Explore the trails, find Rest Points where your character just sits and chills while you enjoy the view (at night, you even have a campfire). Really digging it quite a bit.

Descenders goes the more proc gen end, in a more traditional 3D realistic behind the biker view. You start at the top of an easier mountain, go down a trail of varying steepness/curvature/number of jumps. The faster you go and the more tricks you do, the higher your score which unlocks members for your crew that do various things like reduce curves, make you a little more stable, let you see further ahead on the map. It’s very roguelikey. After each little trail you go to a map where you choose between connected points, with the goal of reaching the “Boss” trail of each mountain that ends in a spectacular jump over a speeding train and the like. You have health that you lose each time you wipeout and that you can gain by doing bonus objectives in each area. There’s four mountains in total although I haven’t made it past the third one in one go yet, it’s really brutal. I haven’t really figured out how to safely land from really high jumps. It’s got a nice soundtrack with electronic artists that pop up in the corner. I haven’t heard of them but it’s all professionally done.

Both are on gamepass so if you have that I def recommend trying them out. They both capture the feeling of going really fast on a bike while chilling in nature quite well.

4 Likes