Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

I’m having a similar experience with MtG Arena, I refuse to spend money on it so I can’t make any of the tier 1-3 meta decks, and the casual queues are full of people testing tier 1s or newcomers with starter decks. Weirdly, playing ranked matches is the most fair and fun, but I really want a queue for people with garbage kitchen table 100-card decks with all their rares and no ramping/reanimating

tho green ramp into every blue-black-green rare single I have is surprisingly fun in ranked.

this too, “Hello!” “Nice!/Thanks!” (contextual) “Oops.” “Thinking…” & “I come from the dregs of humanity, shrieking, pestilent, a burden to my friends, no one will mourn me” (but they shorten it to “Your go”)

7 Likes

metal max xeno is a huge anachronism!
first, i put the disc in my ps4 and i could play it straight away without waiting for any patches or installations. then, even better, i loaded the game up and i was playing it straight away! no long intro or tutorial mission or any other shit.

in 2020, i bought a game, inserted the disc in my console, and started having fun. what a world!

14 Likes

this is correct and like, probably more than 50% of the reason I nabbed one of those retroid pocket 2 things

the soundtrack for the pokemon tcg on the gbc is probably one of the best on the system

this is part of the reason why I yearn for the old gbc/gba days of like, devs realizing there’s a great trading card game to adapt but being unable to play with other people without a really big time and travel commitment so instead of asking people to get on the internet or travel a bunch they just create an ENTIRE WORLD in which everyone is weirdly obsessed with a trading card game, and I am very nostalgic for that kind of setting

I was toying with the idea of making a grid-based card game in the style of medabots where the parts that you equipped made up the deck that you took actions from and I was really excited about it and then realized that finding an artist to do the sprites would be…difficult

4 Likes

There’s a sad little part of me that believes that the very first MtG videogame, which was essentially Heroes of Might and Magic only with card battles shoved into it, will never be topped.

4 Likes

Single-player card games are the hottest indie genre right now!

Chiming in with another Thronebreaker recommendation. It’s me, the only person who likes Thronebreaker. Maybe you’ll like Thronebreaker too. But probably not.

2 Likes

Ya 11! I have tried the first one on NES and got really frustrated with it. It’s interesting in contrast to a series like Final Fantasy which I’m very familiar with, where in basically any new FF game I pick up on most of the references and changes and whatnot, whereas with Dragon Quest I can sometimes tell if something is a reference or what’s part of the DQ tradition but I don’t know what to, and I think it’ll be cool to go back in the series and sort of track those things. However, my patience is kind of thin as I’ve gotten into adulthood and it feels very exhausting to me to commit to “getting into” a series unless it really hooks me.

1 Like

They are; however, I feel like they suffer from the same over-design that has been brought up with Enter the Gungeon and other roguelites, playing them I always feel like that I’m slowly drawing back the curtains on a magnificent humming engine that has been placed there for me and really, that does very little to inspire joy. It’s the same feeling that I got from Rogue Legacy, as somebody who started playing Angband in 1991, it should in theory be something appealing; instead, I find it completely off-putting.

Similar to the way that Diablo has somehow managed to be consistently worse with each successive release as they figure out the systems and refine them to the point of boring slickness.

2 Likes

Yeah, item identification has remained restricted to roguelikes in the proper sense (turn-based). I think the underlying reason is that roguelites all have much smaller inventories, and identification systems only make sense in a context where you have a space in your bag to carry along a lot of junk of no immediate use.

The Brogue creator had surprising to say about what the underlying game design “purpose” of identification was on the podcast I listened to. I think he said he didn’t have it at first but felt practically forced to add it later to make the game work.

As I recall, one part of it was flavor (“dark blue potion” is a vivid image), one part of it was pacing (not creating the incentive to stop walking on the floor and read menus every time you pick up an item), and one part of it was for people to be excited to learn the game mechanics in a self-driven and show-don’t-tell way instead of getting overwhelmed by infodumps.

7 Likes

Your enjoyment is probably tied to how much you like drafting as a Magic subtype. As a sufferer of terminal designer-brain, I love the ad-hoc optimization problems it creates.

1 Like

I think what’s tough about item identification is that relies on a deep web of knowledge about potential outcomes and so presents a very steep learning curve: players need to cover most other game systems and mechanics tables before they can effectively utilize the random identification mechanics. That also makes it a lot more susceptible to internet FAQ short-circuiting.

Teleglitch is an action-roguelike that implemented a graduated identification system. I believe item descriptions were randomized per run, but revealed on first use in crafting with minimal negative outcomes. The UI then retained the information. This, and the lack of a web of interesting cursed properties, sapped most of the mechanical ambiguities out of identification, but it retained some effectiveness as an aesthetic trick, playing along with the rest of the hard-to-parse visuals.

1 Like

was up way too late last night playing numerous rounds of guilty gear xrd and select button top 64 video game contender street fighter 3 third strike. i really like fighting games a lot, is something i’ve learned in 2020.

2 Likes

no, see, my nostalgia is very specifically for a world in which everyone is strangely, almost fanatically obsessed with something that would for most reasonable people be a hobby

I don’t want my cards to represent an army, I want my character to think that their cards represent an army - I don’t need a telling of a witcher story in the form of gwent, I want an entire witcher game but instead of slaying monsters geralt just goes around playing gwent with everyone and that’s the entire game and I am not allowed to do anything else

sometimes I think my tastes are a little specific

(I’ll keep giving thronebreaker a try though)

6 Likes

Hearthstone is a card game about playing a card game against random people in a tavern.

2 Likes

IIRC one of Brogue’s best innovations is a ring (EDIT: it’s a potion, oops) that color-codes unidentified items as “good” (green) or “bad” (red) and you find this ring quite often. It’s one of the keys to getting comfortable with the identification system because then you can comfortably use good ones on yourself or allies and throw bad ones at enemies and learn it that way. Having done that it is apparent that none of the bad ones will kill you instantly so you can get more comfortable with the intended player behavior of chugging all mystery potions while standing on the exit staircase, for runs where you don’t have it.

5 Likes

yes, but there’s no depiction of an avatar so there’s no way for me to know if that layer of abstraction is me playing a card game about playing a card game against people in a tavern OR if it’s just me playing a card game against people in a tavern

what I’m saying is that MTG:O’s lobby system was dumb but it’s also all I wanted

1 Like

Yeah, draft is the highest form of Magic for me, it equalizes the pay-to-win issue, it allows for unexpected pulls that swing expectations wildly (i.e. you’re drafting blue-black and then suddenly there’s an unbelievably strong white card in the second pack, you’re suddenly hit with the following options: pick a different decent card that fits with the cards that you’ve already drafted except now somebody, possibly with a deck already half-built that really wants that card will get it OR hate-draft it with the intent of punting on this pick to keep it away from everybody else OR maybe you could make blue-black-white work, if you just start looking for mana fixers or concentrate on single-mana cost cards OR you know, the blue so far has been relatively weak and black-white is strong in this set, let’s just start drafting white!), and it emphasizes the need to work with what you have, i.e. to make non-optimized engines work as best you can.

I’ve yet to find a single-player card videogame that even approaches kicking off that kind of thinking; part of that is probably because it’s really hard to build up an equivalent mechanical ecosystem from scratch and also because creating logic for AI opponents that deals with the above lines of thinking and then does reasonably correct assessment is incredibly difficult.

6 Likes

still pissed about gungeon for some reason. why did this game get so much praise

anyway only roguelites i’ve (rogue)liked are

• 20XX
  • Dragon Quest Monsters (yes)
  • Shiren the Wanderer (barely lite)
5 Likes

Shiren is a full-blooded roguelike for my money.

5 Likes

Abyss Odyssey is the only roguelik(t?)e I can remember liking and it was purely because of the art.

2 Likes