Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

rewarded myself for doing a lot of housework with a quick 1cc of streets of rage

started silent hill 3 and this subway section sux

2 Likes

today in warframe i got down with my logical fam the VENTKIDS who taught me that cops hate skaters on venus too

firefox_2Mayuduj92

i spent like an hour skateboarding around in fucking warframe because i guess someone on the dev team wanted to see a warframe do a benihana or something??? but itā€™s pretty fun. i did like 5 races so now the ventkids are negging me more about how iā€™m a huge pussy who doesnā€™t even skate and telling me to go fuck myself. this game is fucking garbage and i love it

oh yeah and i helped Venus Garbage Miners Local 137 go on strike and start blowing up the bossesā€™ shit in front of their investors in retaliation because fuck you

firefox_ZiDN10LOGo

this is some 10/10 shit, warframe is truly the best trash action game on the market

4 Likes

I think Iā€™ve mostly stayed away from driving missions in GT games aside from the PSP one where thatā€™s all there was

if anyone has not seen this yet:

mission 34 is the finale

6 Likes

230 hours is absolutely the wildest amount of time Iā€™ve ever heard for a speedrun. Iā€™ve greatly underestimated the amount of content in a GT game.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s amazing, I follow Sough who does GT1+2+3 speed runs but I hadnā€™t heard of this at all.

I do eventually want to 100% GT2 and GT4 but kind of just because I keep returning to these games as comfort food during rough patches in life, but first I want to finish my B-spec only GT4 any% run

3 Likes

picking up GT Sport recently was really calming. like that whole thing is designed as a showroom. just a game that is incredibly sure of what it is.

3 Likes

Yes! They are the lounge-music-vision-of-utopia from 4 onwards. Incredible games as a holistic experience

5 Likes

Iā€™ve played about 4-5 hours of Enter the Gungeon and Iā€™m convinced itā€™s a bad game dressed up as a good game?

The second-to-second gameplay oscillates between ā€œnot badā€ and ā€œtremendously frustrating.ā€ I feel like the bullet patterns border on unfair, even with some bosses on the first floor, due to their semi-randomized nature. The Dodge Roll feels like a concession to ā€œwe donā€™t know how to design a bullet hell game so hereā€™s a get-out-of-jail-free card for when we inevitably fuck you over.ā€ This is okay in normal rooms, where part of the issue is that Iā€™ve poorly managed the space or not killed the high priority enemies fast enough, but thereā€™s little one can do to mitigate this in a boss fight since their patterns donā€™t change very much based on your behavior. Itā€™s just a matter of maintaining good spacing and seeing when youā€™re fucked enough to dodge roll or to use a bomb.

But then multiple bosses Iā€™ve encountered just chase you around so maintaining spacing is practically impossible. I dunno, there are probably strategies that could mitigate this but I donā€™t feel like theyā€™d be very fun strategies.

The meta-gameplay seems to rely very heavily on slot machine luck, but the rewards from the slot machine arenā€™t very good. The strength of a game like Binding of Isaac is that your runs can vary wildly from ā€œabsolute dogshitā€ to ā€œnot sure i could lose if I want to.ā€ But the lows in Gungeon are not very low and the highs arenā€™t very high either. Itā€™s like a slot machine that just pays out the house odds every time. I put in a dollar and get 99 cents back, except when I sometimes get $1.01 back.

Like, very few guns seem to be so powerful to justify the entire run, yā€™know? Like, I got the AU Gun which was low-ammo, high damage, one shot per reload. Kinda fun? And I got an item that would fire another bullet whenever I reloaded, essentially doubling my ammunition for that gun. It was the most fun Iā€™d had yet, BUT it was still just ā€œgun that fires a good bullet.ā€ It wasnā€™t that fun.

Anyway, everything seems to point to this being a thoughtfully designed game with great pixel art, decent writing, decent music, etc. But none of it ends up working for me. Maybe I just suck at it.

16 Likes

the spritework is nice and I like the weapon variety but I agree the gameloop itself is not terrific

3 Likes

I played this last month! In that context, it was a game chosen by a member in my friendā€™s game playing club. He really loved it and wanted to see what we thought. Ultimately, I found it to be just okay.

I enjoyed every time something secret and rare happened but most of the time, it became this tedious loop. I wound up beating the game in co-op when me and my buddy found a truly game breaking gun. I think my ability to enjoy Rogue-influenced action games is pretty limited. Downwell might be the only one I truly adore.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been playing No Straight Roads after being sold by the announcement trailer. This is a real mixed bag.

The premise is neat but a little snobby? Youā€™re an underground rock band trying to overthrow the system but for some reason the system is explicitly characterised by the genre of EDM. So itā€™s rock versus EDM. It doesnā€™t even really follow since most of the NMH-style antagonists donā€™t even fall within EDM musically. It occasionally veers into musical snobbery (rock is authentic, EDM is soulless) and Iā€™m not sure how much of it is genuine or setting up for a ā€˜all styles are equalā€™ kinda payoff.

The art direction (and generally the music) is outstanding. Itā€™s clearly got influences from Psychonauts and other properties where the characters are partially abstract technicolour caricatures. However, the directorial focus on art reminds me a lot of El Shaddai (beautiful and out there but dull to play). The core creative directors are a concept artist for SF5 this makes sense, and the lead designer of FFXV.

The boss designs are conceptually interesting - classical music prodigy with overbearing mother (who is the real boss), virtual idol (whose mocap and art team create new phases on the fly) - but goddamn this combat is awful. Itā€™s a very basic whack-em-up but enemies attacks are partially tied to the rhythm of the stageā€™s music. This sounds neat in theory but itā€™s just frustrating having to navigate two modes that donā€™t really gel: tightly-paced reactive spatially oriented combat and call-and-response rhythm game. Some bosses will just hitstun you to death and the game seems to acknowledge that you canā€™t get through a bossfight without taking copious damage (health boxes constantly drop in) from a inconsistent mixture of audio and visual cues from attacks. Then it dares the player to stand still to open said health boxes or transform objects in the environment to progress. I donā€™t like to go on about game feel very much but the game feels extremely light and empty and thereā€™s no snap or heft to any of the rhythm inputs. It feels very ā€˜defaultā€™ and prototypey, most notably when you are asked to platform without any indication where your character might land in 3D space.

I donā€™t wanna drag it down too much because thereā€™s a lot of cool creative concepts and itā€™s a rare case of a game subtly demonstrating national pride (characters have authentic Malaysian accents and even speak in some of the regional dialects). Iā€™m enjoying it aesthetically but the game loop is a slog.

8 Likes

I purchased crusader kings 3 and I am attempting to make the Irish fuck the Welsh

6 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 12.02.53

felix comics episode 1

7 Likes

thanks for reminding me that i google ā€œthe irish are immune to psychoanalysisā€ frequently enough for it to autocomplete when i type ā€œthe irishā€ into the browser

4 Likes

this is why it lost me too, sometimes i want that item synergy early on to SEE the game, to witness what like, im going to be able to do once im better, but its never that, bosses never get ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED. binding of isaac is fucking hideous but he really understood designing powerups in a way thats kinda turned me off to any other indie darling roguelike after

5 Likes

its true tho

2 Likes

designers need to be more willing to give players the tools to break their game, and roguelikes are beautiful because everything given can be taken away

itā€™s the ultimate excuse to fulfill every player fantasy without constraining their future behavior from the biological drive towards boring grinding optimization

3 Likes

yeah breaking the game is a good thing! enter the gungeon does not believe this at all. it sucks fucking as
also i never knew why the dodge roll rubbed me the wrong way but cania is right thats exactly why GOD i hate that game, also the name of the company that made it makes me not wanna trust the game. like yacht club games or something. gtfo

3 Likes

thatā€™s the shovel knight people lol

2 Likes