Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

yea idk I just think it’s this weird hokey throwback to like 50s white america marketing terminology which weirdly clashes with the obnoxiously affected “british accent salad” style of the rest of the localization. do british people say “pep”? am I just unaware or something?

I honestly would have preferred something like “hyped up” lol idk it just bugs me.

“tension” was a much better term imo. why didn’t they just stick with that! idk sorry y’all hoes mad and I’m hoes :frowning:

the mechanic itself still has room to grow on me and on its own it’s not that big of a deal, I just feel like it’s part of a larger issue where this game just kind of has all this random shit in it and is disjointed and incoherent as a result. see also the complete dumpster fire that is this game’s UI.

3 Likes

sounds like you just need a little more pep in your step

10 Likes

what I love the UI, it’s so inobtrusive yet attractive for a modern JRPG menu

3 Likes

Part of the thing we all need to yell at parker’s sister about is how she lumped in a couple good games with all these shit games

I’m with you Toups take this forum down with your dq hot takes. DQHTs

3 Likes

everyones taste here is ‘a couple of good games lumped in with all these shit games’

19 Likes

Wrong. My taste is perfect and impeccable

3 Likes

now i have to wipe all the spit off my screen from laughing

1 Like

do you prefer the original Japanese “in the zone”

4 Likes

pep is actually a mistranslation it’s actually pip

4 Likes

the most feared optional boss

14 Likes

Playing Helen’s Mysterious Castle this weekend. Sometimes I just need a cute 6-hour-long JRPG

SmartSelect_20200830-222556_YouTube

7 Likes

easily

3 Likes

the ability/skill tree is buried inexplicably under the “Misc.” category alongside like volume settings and shit

3 Likes

Helen is on the Jordan Peterson diet for some reason. Every single meal is a steak

ss_7308f977cbbbcee24052ca8da5b250c87b0664dc.600x338

10 Likes

excuse me Ness did it first thank you very much

1 Like

Not often but it derives from pepper. We might describe someone, or food, as peppy but tbh it’s a bit archaic.

I find the British accent choices in Dragon Quest, Ni No Kuni and Xenoblade localisation interesting mainly because they’re so rare. There’s a mermaid in DQ11 which sounds a bit like an ‘Essex girl’ which is a caricaturish ‘dumb blonde’ equivalent which makes me wonder how much the British accent choice accurately reflects the source material.

Its refreshing to hear so many regional accents when the majority of game casts are inexplicably American. However, these dubs often remind me of British children’s TV because of the cartooning the voices go through.

3 Likes

it is crazy to me that in 2020 translators are still doing regional dialects by hand when the chrono cross automatic accent generator has already existed for years. like, the technology is there. just another example of vested interests holding the industry back from its true potential…

11 Likes

How have these Dragon Quest posts not been split into a new topic called Pep Talk

7 Likes

Ray Winstone as Angus helped me enjoy DQVIII a lot more than I naturally would have

2 Likes