Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

If you like Ninja Gaiden combat/endless loot running over world design then Nioh.

Nioh 2 may be the best action game combat available.

Nioh is good but it is different and also I didnā€™t care enough to finish or play the second one.

2 Likes

never a bad time to dive into Kingā€™s Field (US; known in JP as Kingā€™s Field 2) or Shadow Tower

5 Likes

I also think Star War is good if nonessential.

2 Likes

So, no, I guess?

2 Likes

I get the impression Nioh got in a foothold in the conversation mostly because it won the race of being the first third-party Soulslike out the gate. I didnā€™t like it at all.

I didnā€™t try Star War because by then my opinion had settled that trying to play a non-From Soulslike is really setting myself up for disappointment. For me to feel it delivered, it needs to be both about as good and also fresh and different. It truly is a miracle that From themselves repeatedly pumped out necessary Soulslikes instead of falling into a rut of mostly DkS3s

2 Likes

I found Nioh to be fine butā€¦ clumsy? The Diablo-esque loot bonuses are definitely not the thing that Souls-likes needed.

I agree play Kings Field (JP 2)!

2 Likes

I feel the souls clones are part of the proud craft tradition we once knew as the action platformer.

3 Likes

Maybe itā€™s really the time to play Kingks field 2 and Shadow tower!

btw, I have never played a Ninja Gaiden. Should I cover this ā€œgapā€ or can they be considered obsolete / non-essential nowadays?

3 Likes

Warframeā€™d until 3 am

Havenā€™t lost track of time like this in a while

2 Likes

Ninja Gaiden Black is still worth playing imo, at least, Iā€™m gonna get myself a copy soon and revisit. Also, shoutout to Shadow Tower Abyss, like maybe not as solid as the best Kingā€™s Field (havenā€™t got around to the first Shadow Tower) but I enjoyed my weird time with it (thereā€™s a fan translation out there too).

1 Like

I see that Ninja Gaiden Black is there also in PS Vita (named as Ninja Gaiden Sigma). Is it good? If so, I might play it there at some point (or is it rubbish because the hardware is low power?)

ugh

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.40.23 AM

6 Likes

I donā€™t have experience with the Sigma games but from what I saw they seemed to be on par with Black (which was OG XBox so Vita shouldnā€™t have a problem handling that) would be interested to hear from someone whoā€™s played them.

Thereā€™s a demo for Sigma.

everybody saying play kingā€™s field and shadow tower. nobody saying play kingā€™s field 4. which i can KINDA understand. kf4 is somehow slower and clunkier than kf(us), so maybe play it afterwards? i just genuinely love it the most due to the great mood in many of the zones and the music. can absolutely forgive the slow movement.

big necessary warning, pal version isnā€™t just lower framerate, but actually running the game slowed down to 50Hz, making movement even worse.

6 Likes

Iā€™m always in the mood to RETURN THE CURSED IDOL

but if I pick one Kingā€™s Field it has to be the one with the squids and the lighthouse

4 Likes

itā€™s often the one i try to introduce people with too. one thing it has that kf4 doesnā€™t, is that the beginning zone has so many compelling discoveries that are all easily reachable and quickly, so i feel like itā€™s a great way to get into the mood of what kf games are like.

but still, after that kf4 is the best one.

6 Likes

KF4 is my personal favorite! I donā€™t think the low speed is a big deal tbh. None of the areas are that large and enemies move slowly enough that it doesnā€™t feel unfair. You get used to it. I would probably agree that 2 is the strongest overall though

2ā€™s opening is really genius in that every interesting thing immediately surrounding you can kill you very quickly. Itā€™s not overall a hard game, but the way it intimidates you with that first area makes you play much more carefully even once you gain some levels and the difficulty evens out. I like it whenever From deploys that trick.

4 Likes

itā€™s so funny, and really important in conveying tone and the diligence they expect

the lava pit one step in front of the very beginning in 4; the first thing almost every player does is burn to death

3 Likes