Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

This would never happen with the Cheetah Girls

9 Likes

Yeah I think so. When heā€™s climbing (jump) jumps him backwards and (y) is a punch to flip panels etc

When heā€™s hanging (jump) will swing his legs up to flip a panel from below and (y) is let go with his hands.

It sort of makes sense but you will die a lot in that level anyway and itā€™s hilarious to me as well.

1 Like

G String has some of the best art direction Iā€™ve ever seen in a video game. Love the clever use of colored lighting in this area:

17 Likes

Sky Odyssey

This is the first game in this series that I love. I mean I love Sky Odyssey.

This game is built from such a simple premise: you are a pilot explorer in a volatile region. The walls of ravines can come crashing down at any moment. The wind and rain tug at the wings of your plane. The environment pushes your machine to its limits and dares you to enter deeper into its mysteries.

From this simple premise, the developers are able to design masterful sequences and create surprising twists at each stage. I donā€™t want to talk about the specifics. I want you to find out on your own. I want you to play this now.

I remember when I first started to play the game, I was like a baby bird. I thought I knew how to fly, but I was proven wrong on the first 90 degree turn. After a few more crashes, I tried out the target and sky writing modes. With sky writing, I was amazed with myself and what I could do. After ten tries, I drew an infinity symbol. Sky Odyssey fits snugly within that category of game that asks you to do something perfectly and waits patiently for you to meet it where its at. Mastering Sky Odyssey is a small act of self-affirmation.

I have played almost all of this game though I havenā€™t yet found the secret runways nor have I unlocked every aircraft. I want to save those little tidbits for a day somewhere in the far future when I need them.

25 Likes

Dang, I need to play G-String

2 Likes

Nearly finished Sunset Overdrive and the game gets very sloggy. Quite a large amount of ā€˜protect the thingā€™ while said thing slowly moves or a timer counts down. A lot of the weapons feel oddly low-damage given their central function and quite a lot of combat encounters become a slow, scraping balance of trying to keep grinding and moving while mashing fire and weapon quick select.

Iā€™m sticking with it solely to see where a full-on meta approach from Insomniac eventually culminates. So far it has been a joke stretched too thin over an open world canvas and I want to know if they can muster anything to make the end feel like a climax. The game has ceased to be compelling and I think its balance of maintaining momentum through movement and a wacky third person shooter really only makes sense on paper. The idea that a style meter builds because of consecutive hits and environmental interactions is solid but the game never really feels like youā€™re being super stylish. Often it just leads to me doing mental maths about how much I bounced on things and whether I should continue bouncing or switch to grinding on things. Grinding is what I naturally want to do and is probably the gameā€™s best verb but too many enemy types say ā€˜noā€™ and just bombard the grind rails with stuff so that youā€™ll use other moves.

I think if something is fun to do in a game you shouldnā€™t constantly be pushing the player away from that and forcing them to do every move at least once per encounter. It might be more balanced but I just wanna grind.

3 Likes

I gotta replay this game, I was totally in love with the movement but IIRC I ended up using a lot of explosive weapons and deployables because aiming while grinding is a nightmare

My favorite thing to do was Grind -> Ground-slam and bounce back into the air -> Bounce off a car and fire a few explosives -> repeat

I also really like that you can switch sides of the wires, and do that thing where you pop up from the bottom and fly super high into the airā€¦i dunno i frickin loved this game, but I was especially vulnerable to it at the time. Was looking for a real good open world game, and I also never played tony hawk lol

2 Likes

I think I wouldā€™ve loved it if I had played it on release (open-world fatigue is very real here). I donā€™t want to be totally unfair to it since Iā€™m kinda using it as a stopgap between now and the glut of releases in November so am playing it in a slightly rushed way. I gravitated towards aim-light weapons and deployables as well since it kinda fits the base defense vibe and aiming while having to constantly readjust camera to move to the next bouncy/grindy just feels like a war for the playerā€™s attention.

I think thereā€™s a lot of potential for a more focused experience that could be a bit more free with its wackiness. As it stands the wacky sandwich has a bit too much bread. Iā€™ve come close to hard-quitting a few times and the style and premise keeps drawing me back so I think thereā€™s definitely something of value underneath the layers of whiffed design.

Iā€™ll try and grab a snap of my final character later.

2 Likes

3d lemmings is really great

2 Likes

Holy moly, Steamworld Dig 2 took up most of my day today. Superficially, at least, I think it does a good job of being mysterious (or mysterious-feeling).

Turning off the map markers etc., really makes it feel more freeform. Iā€™m having a lot of fun with this one. I occasionally curse a streak when I push my luck too much and get killed with a bunch of loot on me.

3 Likes

that game is just a dopamine drip, i love it

1 Like

itā€™s wild how the under presents is like, a better version of tacoma and obra dinn and then some

even if I had to personally patch the only available steam control bindings for windows mixed reality because literally no one plays these games and even fewer with my exotic hardware configurations

2019 as a release year gets even more incredible to behold, even now by almost the end of 2020

2 Likes

I really love getting into the groove in Dirt Rally and hitting a big jump at the top of fifth gear while hearing the co-driver say ā€œinto immediate acute rightā€. :slight_smile: :upside_down_face:

I realize I can adjust the timing, but the co-driver is just very late on some calls no matter what so youā€™ve gotta be ready for it.

3 Likes

when I played demonā€™s souls in 2011 it didnā€™t seem that hard to me. I killed flamelurker the first time I fought him, for instance. in 2020, after having played dark souls 1 4 times, dark souls 2, darks souls 3 twice, and bloodborne, demonā€™s is kicking my ass. I canā€™t even take a third of flamelurkerā€™s HP. also I canā€™t afford healing items. what happened.

6 Likes

Oh I totally know what you mean. In fact I think thatā€™s like so common to the Souls experience that someone needs to name this phenomenon just to save on the word count to explain it.

Aging.

1 Like

nooo, Iā€™m thinking of something else. Just like you might find an easy boss really hard on subsequent playthroughs, a boss you really struggled with might be really easy this time.

It might be a mixture of luck and complacency. Some boss patterns work in a way that makes them almost like runs that can go good or bad. Sometimes Flamelurker is extremely aggro sometimes it just backs off every 5 seconds.

2 Likes

beat arcade mode + lake side again, got a decent recording this time too

13 Likes

I tried to play thatgamecompanyā€™s Sky, even went as far as to sync up my Xbone controller to my phone so I wouldnā€™t be deterred by touchscreen controls.

And somehow, I just wasnā€™t feeling it. Idk, the presentation was as nice as youā€™d expect but Iā€™ve played Journey twice and I dunno if this isnā€™t too similar. Which Iā€™ll admit is funny for me to say considering how eagerly I gobble down a lot of games that are retreads of older stuff, but :man_shrugging:

Anyway I decided to uninstall, Iā€™ll give something else a shot.

2 Likes