Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

the chikage is extremely powerful and useful throughout the entire game!
but yeah, skill + bloodtinge kinda locks you either to that or simon’s bowblade (which also slays), which does suck when you consider you can find a favourite among like 7-10 weapons each on either strength or skill

my number one complaint with the game is it’s more like a diorama/tech demo than a coherent experience. and i’m not sure that makes it anything other than just feel like an incomplete curiosity that looks cool on the surface. which is a problem with a lot of itch.io type stuff i find. which is something that bothers me because i like experimental games but also want some sort of coherently presented experience. i don’t like things that “feel deep” but aren’t particularly once you look past the surface i guess and Strawberry Cubes sets off those feelings for me. maybe i feel that way because i really like a lot about the presentation but feel like the rest of the thing fails to live up to that i guess. but i have a weird relationship with that game that i don’t wanna go into on a public forum.

3 Likes

The Chikage is pretty cool and powerful, you’re right. The other bloodtinge weapons are the real letdowns. Though, I never really played with the weird guns you could use - and those would benefit from bloodtinge I think?

I feel like Bloodborne has a major issue with early game speccing because so few weapons are available to a first time player and the stats are so limited in use that it doesn’t really feel like you can make a meaningully interesting build. That first half for me was just a slow grind to get a weapon more interesting than the threaded cane and then, oops, this is the most powerful weapon unless I suddenly double back and start upgrading something else.

I really didn’t get on with Bloodborne and I wish it had allowed a wider range of weapons or abilities from the get go.

3 Likes

Thanks guys!!

It’s a pity that Bloodtinge is so bad because it seemed the most unique.

In Dark Souls I played a quality build focused on Dexterity (with also necromancer powers).
Here I would like to do something different, but I am afraid that doing the Skill+Bloodtinge combination would be again too similar to my Dark Souls character…

Perhaps should I focus on Strength and make Skill my secondary attribute? And then Arcane up to 15… Or would this be too ordinary?

The thing is with Bloodborne, almost every weapon feels like a dex weapon while you’re using it. It’s like the only build available is a dex character from the souls games.

2 Likes

I don’t think a lack of builds is bad! I don’t think most other folks here do either. It speaks to the tighter scope of the game which I think is one of it’s biggest strengths.

It has superb level design, combat, and my favorite story of any game in From’s catalog.

3 Likes

Yeah exactly. Bloodborne is… incredible. I LOVE the rally system.

2 Likes

it’s probably the best first time/only time build to go for. you’ll still get a whole lot of very different weapons to choose from, and most of them are really good

1 Like

I’d say do both. At least 25 skill 25 strength is a good build for some of the best weapons (saw cleaver / spear and Ludwig’s). Skill is the only stat that really boosts up your gun counter damage.

Don’t worry too much about endurance past 20 - 25, vitality is more important

3 Likes
hey, cool, I finally managed to clear that super popular spelunking platformer

twice in a row even!

15 Likes

Mario galaxy is such a Wii game

It starts with like 5-10 minutes of unskippable walk through town and watch Bowser kidnap Peach.
And then you have to catch 3 hidden rabbits on this planet you’ve landed on. I swear it took me like 10 minutes again to find them and I slowly went mad wondering why I couldn’t do this utterly menial 2007 Nintendo tutorial kid’s task. A perfect horrible mix of mundanely patronizing and somehow actually difficult

There’s one impressive thing about this game and that’s the camera. The camera could have followed Mario closely so the game could feel like Sonic 3 special stages

S3k_specialstage

Instead the camera lets you walk all the way to the edges of the planet upside down without following. This makes the game very disorienting, prevents you from seeing what Mario sees in front of him and screws up depth perception in general. I know these are all supposed to be negatives but: this kind of rules. This is style over function in a very non-Nintendo way

But all the mini cutscenes, dialogue you can’t mash A through, bad side jump controls, wii UI, weird lightning and fucking star bits really got to me after thirty minutes. 64 and Sunshine (for all its faults) are much better

11 Likes

our bestest games of all the times project has made me finally check out how Demon’s Souls plays on rcps3. turns out it works quite well! sometimes the textures load a little slow, but other than that I don’t have any complaints. the only problem is of my own doing: I downloaded the game from rutracker, and it turns out that if you download games from the internet’s premier russian repository of everything, sometimes they will actually be in russian. since I am too lazy to correct the issue, I’ve been playing by pointing my phone camera with google translate at my monitor to read menus and item flavor text. it kind of adds to the mystery of the game, almost, and I suppose it never hurts experiencing bleak media in its spiritual native language.

19 Likes

Genius.

I said this about Mario Galaxy instinctively, with no real cohesive thought behind it. But now that I’m looking at some screenshots I can confirm: It’s bad

7 Likes

I think it looked a lot better in 2007 context, when Nintendo’s cheap fixed-shader rim lighting was more comprehensive and cohesive than most of the techniques in, say, Little Big Planet or Ratchet & Clank. With the exception of Viva Pinata/Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, cartoony, super-saturated games on the big HD consoles looked significantly worse.

4 Likes

I’m having trouble figuring out where the light sources are supposed to be, I feel like I’ve teleported back to my intro to drawing class

1 Like

in space,

light comes from every direction

after all, space is nothing if not full of light

(the technique is really cheap; brightening colors based on obliqueness of angle to camera, with no material or lighting input. More sophisticated/expensive techniques take lighting and specular texture detail into account)

4 Likes

It’s the soft glow of our screens peering back into their dimension.

We are their Suns
and their Air.

6 Likes

of a lighting that is criminally vulgar

6 Likes