Games You Played Today: Actress Again: Current Code (Part 1)

got about 20% into farcry primal and i think i’m done with it. it’s pretty clear that the other 80% is just going to be the same thing another four times.

2 Likes

I’m fascinated by everyone’s takes on this game! I have a very different experience since I didn’t play it solo and am desperate for more games in a similar style to have a similar shared play experience. I didn’t play that much Nintendo stuff when I was young so the comparisons aren’t as obvious for me. I’m thinking, Mario Sunshine?

lol I caught a lot of flack trying to play this and other games in a completionist style, when I pass the controller they walk straight past coins

2 Likes

sinn fine

3 Likes

this is why jane austen novels tended not to include the irish

6 Likes

forgot I named my only non-gerry son “brian brian” like humbert humbert until I got a notification he died

4 Likes

had a hankerin’ to play La Mulana 2 again, but no matter what I do, it has no audio for some reason. I’ve been trying to figure it out for an hour now, and no dice.

I’m playing two massive JRPGs at the same time.

I’m back into Dragon Quest XI because I set up my Steam Link on my TV again. That game is definitely a Couch Game, not a Sit In Front of a PC game. I can also stream it using my GPD Win so basically, as long as I don’t leave the house, I have this game on the Switch. I’m about…30 hours in now? About to go drown or something.

Also streaming Baten Kaitos on Discord pretty regularly. I’m nearing the halfway point, just got to the weirdest part of the game that I’ve been to personally (in my previous playthroughs). It has fucking awesome music:

Great, weird game. The battle system is intolerable for a normal brain but for whatever problems my brain has, this extremely-slow-and-awkward system is like candy for me. Love love love it.

4 Likes

“Heavily technical discourse” emerges out of a need for mastery. Outside of competitive multiplayer, the major community focused on mastery that I’m aware of would be, like, speedrunning or glitch groups. The biggest example I can think of that rivals Smash for silliness would be Mario Kart, which has a big focus on deep mechanical understanding to maximize opportunities for shortcuts.

3 Likes

BOTW climbing is actually bad and I will die on this hill. Morrowind climbing is better.

1 Like

I’m finally playing Shining Force. Strategy RPGs haven’t been my jam…but they could be? I’m only on the second chapter but I’m really into it. Playing on a Genesis Mini my brother gave me for Xmas. I wouldn’t have bought one of these for myself but it’s neat, I like it.

Anyway. Being asked about terrible nightmares and nodding furiously with a smile is the mood these days.

nightmaresmiles

11 Likes

mostly on killer 7 and revisiting nier automata but i just read about the grid cartographer gamelink feature and now i want to crawl around some dungeons

1 Like

haha, that’s awesome. i’ve been playing shining in the darkness and it has these same icons - it was considered an “innovation” in SitD.

great fucking dungeon crawler, by the way. takes about 4 hours to get going but then it really simmers nicely. gives me a phantasy star 1/dq2 kinda vibe. love the dungeon layouts and the sprites. been streaming it on twitch, too!

5 Likes

I’m totally stealing that icon idea for my own game. Actually been thinking about whether I’ll follow this up with Darkness or Force II if I’m craving more. Leaning toward Darkness (I think I’ve found my gateway drug into DQ and Phantasy Star, always had a blind spot re: Genesis and pre-SNES JRPGs).

currently wrestling with the PS4 port of the HD remaster of the Gamecube remake of the first Resident Evil

a promising start, but it wasn’t long before- having spent all my bullets- i found myself reduced to knife-fighting the rottenweilers over possession of the substitute armor key

3 Likes

I played a game on PS Now called Battle of Tiles EX, from the PS3. Bov pointed out to me that it’s just Bokosuka Wars.

(The sound is out of sync on this video for some reason.)

I think I file it as an engineering/systems game like Zachtronics stuff and Final Fantasy 12 because you’re trying to optimize the game to play itself. You start with a set of units of different classes, with different stats, attack ranges, and abilities. You can move them around individually to create and modify your formation as you gain and lose units, but generally you’re going to be moving your entire army forward together. As you kill enemies your units levels up and you gain money which can be spent on converting any enemy you come across to one of your units. The idea is to create a army and formation that can continually progress across the map with minimal interaction from you. Attacks are handled automatically once you enter within attack range, with attack orders based on unit speed stats, so you want to create a formation that is able to effectively deal with enemies no matter where they are positioned.

I started with a basic lineup of melee front column and an archer column behind them, and I build this when I feel confident in just plowing forward for a while. But when I hit tougher groups, such as when enemy archers started weakening melee units before I could counter attack, I have to adjust my formation and take a more active role in my army’s movement. I settled on having my archers on top, bottom, and a couple in the middle. Then I have melee units in front alternating with empty spaces. I leave two rows empty at the top and bottom so I can move my entire army up and down, and I use this to adjust my position so I can sandwich enemies into the empty slots in my front line between my front melee units, maximizing my damage output.

When I come across archers I have my more forward facing archers on my top or bottom take point, doing damage while I move forward and position the melee units. Ideally the my archers wittle down the ranged enemy units enough that my melee units can kill the enemies before they die.

It’s pretty simple and chill, and I recommend it if you like games about optimizing systems to make the game play itself. My main complaint is that the levels are too long. Level 2 introduces new enemies with very different behaviors but I was burned out by the end of level 1, fighting the same sets of enemies for too long. I’ll come back to it eventually probably.

PS Now is good for playing weird stuff like this.

5 Likes

wow so y’all do exist! I always seem to have enough ammo in RE games and I wonder about folks say they have a shortage. I end the game with absolute surplus.

Wonder how differently we play.

1 Like

It was when I swung my shitty piece of rebar to kill a Shibito in a narrow hallway and watched it collide with one of the walls that I finally realized Siren is the Demon’s Souls of PS2 survival horror games.

5 Likes

Hey y’all sorry I’m the reason Rez is on the top 64 (85). I played through it again on the PS4. Area X is still great.

But Area X also brings 15 years of game design forward and takes lessons they got from Child Of Eden. Which hey I like more now in retrospect.

The Area 3 and 5 bosses will suddenly have 20 missiles on you and you can’t dodge in Rez. It’s just a sudden panic.

Also the music was a lot more minimalist than I remember? Usually just a drum beat with incidientals. Additionally I had remembered the stages having stronger themes than they did. Area X takes stuff from 3 CoE levels.

I found it simultaneously to boring and too stressful to chill out to and I can’t imagine altered states improving the stressful difficult parts.

If I am supposed to chill out to it it shouldn’t remind me of test scores at the end of the stage.

The no-death mode in Infinite takes all these problems out. It does not cure me thinking the visuals and music are not engaging enough.

Rez is a Dune Thread Game.

Rez is what if the Lawnmower Man was a girl And I could kiss her.

8 Likes

learning a lot

6 Likes

Child of Eden is SO good.

4 Likes