Games that use Digitised Sprites

any reason you made it into a list like that, instead of a spreadsheet? not criticism, just curious

There’s a couple western arcade games I was reading about a bit ago, let’s see… ah, here we go:

Judge Dredd (1992/1993, Midway) - if you go down to the History section near the bottom and read the Trivia, there’s some juicy tidbits about the development

what was that other one, though…I think I saw it on Arcade Quartermaster

Huh, it wasn’t Kaneko’s Blood Warrior, which qualifies for the list …actually, come to think of it, I was probably thinking of Tattoo Assassins. Or some game that’s actually sprites but is similarly Western/bizarre, like Time Killers and sequel Blood Storm. Well, anyways, it looks like you also want Survival Arts.
(oops, you just added Blood Warrior)

You’ll probably find more arcade titles if you do a site:adb.arcadeitalia.net digitized search. Or the occasional odd side-mention, like the canceled Jaguar version of Barkely: Shut up and Jam, which has a couple of prototypes floating around out there.

Here’s a potentially useful Wikipedia category…in Japanese:

" Category: Computer games using live-action capture"
It features some stuff that isn’t quite as relevant, though, like sound novels which use digitized stills, or FMV games like Mad Dog McCree.

And of course, it’s only the games that someone made a Wikipedia article for and then properly categorized. If you put 実写取り込みを用いた (using live action capture) or just 実写取り込みを(live action capture) into a search engine, that could lead you down some rabbit holes…

Finally, let’s see if UVL has some relevant tags…

Hmm, not as helpful as I’d hoped. A lot of redundancy and barren groups, unfortunately typical of the site.
There’s a surprising amount of relevant results under a group I initially disregarded, though:

As you can see, the site is neat, and has certain advantages in tags/groups compared to Giant Bomb (or, god, TVTropes), but it’s also a mess and unevenly baked. Oh well.

You might also look up some of these games on The Spriter’s Resource, like so:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/witchaven/
It’s mainly old FPS games with similar engines that have numerous sets.
If you’re looking for fighting games, on the other hand, you should check MUGEN forums and see what somebody decided was worth ripping…

Hmm, I think that’s all I meant to say.

Oh! If you want to give links to screenshots and there’s nothing on Mobygames/Giant Bomb/Wikipedia, go ahead and check GameFAQs. Most titles have no screenshots at all, or only a small weird handful, but sometimes you’ll stumble across a game that has dozens, hundreds, thousands of pictures. You might just get lucky.

1 Like