Games that use Digitised Sprites

Lately been interested in and researching games that used digitised sprites of real stuff (Actors, Figures, Clay, etc) for it’s animation. Made a google doc and wondering if any here have any ideas of games that use this, I’m especially interested in games that use stop motion clay or figures though. I did humour the idea of pre-rendered 3d sprites but that’s a lot less of a niche and the GBA’s library is especially saturated with them.

7 Likes

Wow, that explains why the monsters in EGA Quest for Glory 1 felt so meaty and substantial. I would press up on my keyboard and it felt like I was really stabbing this big blue centaur with my knife. It was a major strength of the aesthetic and I never reflected on that consciously before now

2 Likes

I think this qualifies?

1 Like

Yeah I think it does, Thanks.

2 Likes

Hoo boy that’s the stanky shit.

1 Like

Operation Wolf 3 uses them in a light gun game context similarly to Area 51/Maximum Force/Revolution X, the game itself probably isn’t so special but it has a great noisy droney attract mode I keep coming back to ever since I bumped into it at a Shakey’s almost 20 years ago.

1 Like

American Girls Premiere

3 Likes

Thank you so much for these finds.

1-ggd-loading

goofy.golf_.dlx102.play_

5 Likes

These are nice finds.

5 Likes

kingofchicago_3

king_of_chicago

the-king-of-chicago_12

the-king-of-chicago_8

9 Likes

A stack of other games are listed here (though Goofy Golf and King of Chicago were missing so we already know it’s incomplete)

EDIT:

Also found this list, which I assume is even more incomplete

Thank you very much.

any reason you made it into a list like that, instead of a spreadsheet? not criticism, just curious

There’s a couple western arcade games I was reading about a bit ago, let’s see… ah, here we go:

Judge Dredd (1992/1993, Midway) - if you go down to the History section near the bottom and read the Trivia, there’s some juicy tidbits about the development

what was that other one, though…I think I saw it on Arcade Quartermaster

Huh, it wasn’t Kaneko’s Blood Warrior, which qualifies for the list …actually, come to think of it, I was probably thinking of Tattoo Assassins. Or some game that’s actually sprites but is similarly Western/bizarre, like Time Killers and sequel Blood Storm. Well, anyways, it looks like you also want Survival Arts.
(oops, you just added Blood Warrior)

You’ll probably find more arcade titles if you do a site:adb.arcadeitalia.net digitized search. Or the occasional odd side-mention, like the canceled Jaguar version of Barkely: Shut up and Jam, which has a couple of prototypes floating around out there.

Here’s a potentially useful Wikipedia category…in Japanese:

" Category: Computer games using live-action capture"
It features some stuff that isn’t quite as relevant, though, like sound novels which use digitized stills, or FMV games like Mad Dog McCree.

And of course, it’s only the games that someone made a Wikipedia article for and then properly categorized. If you put 実写取り込みを用いた (using live action capture) or just 実写取り込みを(live action capture) into a search engine, that could lead you down some rabbit holes…

Finally, let’s see if UVL has some relevant tags…

Hmm, not as helpful as I’d hoped. A lot of redundancy and barren groups, unfortunately typical of the site.
There’s a surprising amount of relevant results under a group I initially disregarded, though:

As you can see, the site is neat, and has certain advantages in tags/groups compared to Giant Bomb (or, god, TVTropes), but it’s also a mess and unevenly baked. Oh well.

You might also look up some of these games on The Spriter’s Resource, like so:
https://www.spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/witchaven/
It’s mainly old FPS games with similar engines that have numerous sets.
If you’re looking for fighting games, on the other hand, you should check MUGEN forums and see what somebody decided was worth ripping…

Hmm, I think that’s all I meant to say.

Oh! If you want to give links to screenshots and there’s nothing on Mobygames/Giant Bomb/Wikipedia, go ahead and check GameFAQs. Most titles have no screenshots at all, or only a small weird handful, but sometimes you’ll stumble across a game that has dozens, hundreds, thousands of pictures. You might just get lucky.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the help, As for why not a spreadsheet it’s actually kinda weird, y’see I’m fucking stupid. Anyway yeah I’m looking for digitized sprites not FMV which makes the search muddy as I really need to triple take and make sure if it is and what the game comprises most of. Anyway once again thank you for the resources.

Also if worse comes to worse I guess’ll just take the screenshots myself and upload them.

Another game missing from the claymation list on mobygames is the sequel to Dominique Pamplemousse (the original game is listed)

There’s those weird edge cases which probably aren’t what you’re looking for like Doom’s guns being built from collages of pictures of dollar store toys or it’s and Duke’s monsters being stop motion style models.

There was a story in one of the gaming magazines way back when that a lot of the textures in Shadow Man were pulled from dermatological disease reference photos.