Games That I Hate And Everyone Tells Me I'm Wrong

I didn’t see what the big deal was with titan fall 2’s singleplayer, same old hoo rah call of duty bullshit and the whole thing feels like a tutorial section for a real game that never comes along, which I think a lot of modern single player games end up feeling like.

3 Likes

I mean, there’s the multiplayer

1 Like

I played titan fall 1 and it was like any other multiplayer game, you play a round or two and you get it, you don’t really need a eight hour or whatever hand holding narrative campaign for a tutorial that’s just unsatisfying on it’s own, and isn’t even much like playing a round of the multiplayer anyway.

So many critics raved about Titanfall 2’s single-player, particularly the Effect And Cause level, but I just thought it was… okay? Not really groundbreaking at all?

2 Likes

BTW I think Portal 2 is tremendously successful at being a blockbuster and it just depends on how much you enjoy blockbusters.

I personally enjoyed it a lot, even on a recent replay.

I also think that no Portal game could ever possibly be Portal again, specifically because Portal explored almost all of the important ideas that it brought to the table. Further exploration is just iteration on the same ideas, and it can’t be this wondrous, incredible thing.

Hanging out with GLaDOS while she’s stuck to a potato is pretty great though. It’s not as interesting as when she’s a manipulative mother figure, but she’s funny. Also, cave johnson.

4 Likes

hi there

I am the idiot that did the Gen 10 grind in TF1 (still got my Gooser patch back before they changed that requirement to prove that too)

TF1 does not play like TF2’s multiplayer (owing a lot to more open map design), and both of those do not play like TF2’s campaign

the multiplayer of both games have a focus on using your movement to outwit and overwhelm your opponent (TF1 manifests this with tighter, more closed in maps creating more lines of moevement where TF2 gives more options for movement other than wallrunning and double-jumping, allowing map design to breathe and feel more organic since you can now have open spaces)

the campaign is as if Respawn just looked at the movement set they made and realized that the moving is more fun and impactful and frequent than the shooting and large chunks of game as a result are sublime platforming with light puzzle elements, kind of like a Mirror’s Edge But With Good Gunplay, with the other chunk being dumb good bombastic action blockbuster which, if you pay attention, will notice that 90% of which are Titan-based. it’s telling where their sense of what works and what doesn’t lies when you realize that nearly every action setpiece is in BT and nearly every pilot sequence is heavy on jumping around and throwing wacky curveballs at the player. hell, the big game-ending setpiece is a Titan fight followed by a platforming sequence, as if Vince Zampella was grabbing you by the shoulders and going “DO YOU SEE WHAT WE’RE GOING FOR NOW?!?

it is a beautiful, lovely child and I love it and nothing anyone says will make me think otherwise

6 Likes

I hate Monster Hunter World. I hate its incredibly technical weapons that demand studied tactics and perfect inputs inside a clumsy engine that feels like you’re covered in butter and the world is a hot pan. I hate that every 5 seconds you’re engaging with a different subsystem, and each one has a medical textbook’s worth of learning curve. I hate that the multiplayer is bizarre and difficult to set up. I hate its huge levels that I get completely lost in and wander aimlessly while my teammates chase the monster so quickly so far that it’s impossible to catch up. I hate that you have to get a Bachelor’s in Monster Hunter in order to play the first level, and a phD in order to beat the first boss.

Monster Hunter World makes me feel like my grandpa contemplating a game boy.

9 Likes

Just pick gunlance, the best combos are trivial and you can block basically everything

1 Like

Every time anyone criticizes a Monster Hunter game, a Monster Hunter fan says “try _________ weapon, this time you’ll have fun, I swear, please believe me” and it’s a different weapon every time.

Edit: I actually appreciated advice like this in the past, but no matter what weapon I tried I never found one I liked.

8 Likes

nah I mean they’re definitely full of an abnormal number of strange or full-on bad design decisions (the bewildering array of items is mostly great, but the gear stats are ??? and the weapon feedback is maybe like 2/3 good at best) but they’re very big and fascinating and endearing

I wouldn’t play another one but I don’t think world outstayed its welcome

2 Likes

MH’s draw is its strangeness

I say as someone who has played exactly 20 minutes of a MH that wasn’t World.

A thing about actively hating games is that it can only happen when you force yourself to keep playing them in the hope of “getting to the good part”. If you just drop out quickly then you don’t like it, but you don’t hate it either.

I briefly tried the Wii Monster Hunter some years back and it really didn’t do anything for me. The visual look of the new ones has a messy floaty quality that instinctively repels me, so I’m happy enough not touching it further. I neutrally note that a bunch of SB peeps seem to see something in it and they probably have good reasons, but it doesn’t mean that I would.

Similarly, I’m not planning to play Earthbound/Mother 3. I didn’t enjoy the couple of hours of Earthbound early game I tried (both when I was a kid and when I tried it again in emulator 10 years ago), and I think the reason is that a nostalgic and twee vibe isn’t something I’m personally looking for. I recognize that they do something pretty unique (especially comparing with the style of other games in the SNES era), but that doesn’t mean I have to play them.

So, I don’t “hate” any game exactly, but I do anticipate the potential of hating various games and avert that fate.

3 Likes

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Man someone should make a game that looks all nostalgic and twee on the surface but is actually an artistic representation of a child’s interpretation of traumatic events and how they process them

oh wait

7 Likes

I remember describing Portal 2 as a New York Times crossword puzzle with most of the letters filled in so that most anyone could complete it. For some they will get the thrill and feeling of satisfaction of having completed one of them, but for others like myself it does the opposite and short-circuits any rewarding feelings.

In many ways it is a perfectly polished game, but as someone who plays a lot of puzzle games it is what convinced me that is the wrong way to make a puzzle game. More than most genres you need that friction, you need the flow to be broken, you need the game at least on occasion to slow you down and… puzzle you, basically. Portal 2 is a game that is terrified of that happening and it makes it a pleasant ride, but a very shallow one. I mentally put it in the same class of games as I do most Ubisoft ones, albeit as one of the better executed examples.

Granted I never played much of the co-op campaign as every fried who offered to flaked out on me and apparently that is the actual game part of the package.

7 Likes

Yeah the co-op is very good. I played it with my wife and the only reason we didn’t power through it in 2 to 3 sessions is because she got motion sick

1 Like

I agree that the titanfall 2 campaign is boring, annoying and not impressive at all.

1 Like

I think the most telling difference between Portal 1 and 2 comes at the moment in each game where you break out of the test chambers.

In Portal 1, while this moment is telegraphed with visual and pacing hints, it’s ultimately still something the player has to piece together and execute, and is followed by a strongly contrasting section where previous guideposts disappear and you have to figure out new ones on your own.

In Portal 2, that moment is a surprise hands-off event where control is taken away while you’re sucked down a tube watching a goofy cartoon character tumbling in front of your vision followed by an intermission of visual gags. Not saying Portal 2 should have repeated the first game, but I know which one I prefer.

The problem with Titanfall 2’s campaign is that the ideas are explored in isolation. Platforming and shooting are generally separate rather than using one to effect the other. I was surprised that I never needed to think about whether it would be better to proceed on foot or inside a titan. You could have automatically been forced in or out of the titan and it wouldn’t have made a difference. It’s always foot section, titan section, foot section, platform section.

1 Like

yeah mother 3 is the opposite of this

You wouldn’t find it challenging either, though there’s less PLOT going on so the game has more room to breathe.

Now getting all the co-op achievements, that’s a real puzzle game.