Funky Kong Country

13 Likes

The game structure is gonna be pretty straightforward VN stuff with the usual Choices That Matter™ and the occasional minigame. You spend 30 days in The Video Zone.

On weekdays you wake up, talk to Funky, go to work, stop by the strip mall, have dinner with Funky. Depending on what you buy at the strip mall (including nothing) after dinner you can watch a movie, gift funky a hat that he can wear, smoke weed, eat some ice cream, or play a video game.

Donkey Bong is part of a dispensary franchise owned by by Donkey Kong IV and I almost named it Vape Ape

On Saturdays you go hang out with Funky outside the house, for instance the Gwent scene above takes place at The Inventory of Poker Night fame.

On Sundays you go to church and learn about how video game characters practice religion.

That’s the basics but things will vary depending of the day and there are of course multiple conspiracies unravelling around you so it’s not quite an indie pharmacy sim or something

27 Likes

holy shit sleazy i cannot wait

3 Likes

the new update for tyranobuilder will probably break my old file but on the plus side it allows full 3d models and animations now so i can really get incredibly stupid now

13 Likes

trying out some mocap experiments

21 Likes

im building him

20 Likes

Computer give me a hat waggle

4 Likes

holy shit sleazy you’ve become too powerful

1 Like

i can’t draw but i can kitbash together very stupid 3d models

14 Likes

imageimageimageimage

3 Likes

considering using animal crossing happy home paradise to make backdrops

18 Likes

yeah this actually works

8 Likes

working on a little montage of life in the city as funky drives you home from the airport. this is where i’m gonna get a lot of the memes out of my system: dante and knuckles, the green m&m and bambi, spider-man and elsa, this is where my parents died parappa, isabelle and doomslayer hanging out, plus other stuff like the kool aid man hanging out with the pot guys from elden ring and whatnot

21 Likes

everyone in this world is sort of roleplaying as humans while it’s sort of unclear if anyone knows that they are weird semi-immortals in a server. you know how if the holodeck takes place on earth and someone sees an alien it just sort of rolls with it? all the video game characters, except for some have sort of a logic perception filter on that makes things work. storywise consider like a nier automata, meets 17776, meets space jam 2 concept. one way this plays out is that you work at sort of a celebrity branded ghost pharmacy that works like a ghost restaurant. one place to sell drugs under multiple brands. people might give you money but since it’s sort of a weird dream world they also might give you an item. basically everything is sort of just “one currency” no matter what it is. so the main interesting narrative friction is the choice of what you want to barter and whether to give it to someone at the strip mall in trade after work or bring it home to funky kong. i might have to narrow things down a bit because so far writing combinatorically expansive dialogue for each item under each circumstance and the repercussions for later in the game is…a lot. but we’ll see.

12 Likes
  • Fox and Jigglypuff
  • Kris and Susie
  • Zagreus and Pit (with Hades from Kid Icarus Uprising)
  • Six copies of Shovel Knight from different indie games
  • Eggette and Eggma’am (don’t do this one)
5 Likes