FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

Dammit, give me my $12 back, Rudie!

1 Like

Watching this Yoshihiko thing, Iā€™d like to have a game with those dumb spells that might be kind of useful in a roundabout way

[quote=ā€œmeauxdal, post:39, topic:480, full:trueā€]
My biggest gripe with DQ3 via iOS is that you canā€™t use landscape view at all. You have to use portrait view at all times. It makes the game easy to play with one hand, but when you really want that ā€œgamingā€ feel with the two-handed grip, youā€™re SOL.[/quote]

this is what turned me off DQ8 on iOS, and that the game looks pretty poor on the 3DS put me off that version. I really would like to play 8 again but itā€™s always one thing or another

Just go with the flow~ but thereā€™s a sidequest to get your panther buddy back, make sure you hit that at some point (i donā€™t remember how to start it but knowing Dragon Quest itā€™s probably some NPC in some town saying ā€œegad i saw a big cat in a cave to the southwest cor blimeyā€

I seem to recall finding slime knights really useful too. They can hit good, take hits good, you can give them good gear, and they learn how to heal good.

Noted, thank you

I have a slime knight, as it happens, hooray

I have a slime knight, as it happens, hooray

this motif bugs me because i really want it to resolve into a major chord, itā€™s just one note away ;~;

Rudie is spot on for DQVI. Itā€™s bad, donā€™t do it.

SO PUMPED for VII 3DS. Gonna break out that old strat guide all the time to not miss pieces though.

it does resolve to a major chord, it just ends on the dominant V instead of resolving back to the I

/pedantry

2 Likes

@boojiboy7 @Rudie
You guys I canā€™t seem to find why DQ VI is so bad! Iā€™m playing DQVI DS right now, probably like a third of the way in, and Iā€™m just really enjoying everything. Maybe itā€™s the pure RPG comfort food feel. Iā€™m not at all turned off by the lack of a groundbreaking story or wildly innovative systems - itā€™s a DQ game, I kinda came for the traditional style. I also find it really works well as a portable game, to grind out a few levels on a new class or fill that slot in my monster log in a short session when I have a few minutes to pop open my sleeping DS, or playing for 15-20 minutes before I go to sleep.
I accept that the dream/real world is not used to great effect; itā€™s no Link to the Past. I guess Iā€™m just liking the easy traditional style and customary DQ charm - and I really love the DS remake style.

FWIW, I LOVE DQIV. Havenā€™t ever really gotten into DQV mainly because of dread of excessive micromanaging of monsters. (but Iā€™ll play it - maybe next RPG!). Played a lot of VII and IX but finished neither. But yeah, Iā€™m liking VI a lot right now and plan to finish it.

Question about DQ1-3: which versions should I play? I bought the iOS ports (have an iPhone 6 and an iPad Air 2), I also own the GBC remakes. Of course, could also play the NES versions (or SFC remake) via emulator on my PC - but to me theyā€™d have to be a lot better to make up for the lack of portability.

1 Like

Iā€™m absolutely bonkers but I hate the 2D/3D DS remake stylings and canā€™t accept a DQV without small baby sprites. I played through all of DQIV DS but Iā€™m tempted to go through the NES version one day because the simplistic detail and negative space used in NES games rings in my head as some sort of evocative.

Granted, the PS2 remake of DQV does look pretty cute in its own way.

I watched my friend play through DQV PS2 ages ago. It felt extremely slow walking around in 3d though its orchestrated OST was gorgeous.

My experience with DQV is permablended into the first generation SNES (basically a slightly fancier NES game) aesthetic so I canā€™t imagine the game any other way when thinking about it.

I played DQVI a little bit. Going to the continue screen, there was only one single save on the cart: TONY at 9 minutes into the game.

Why did he only play for 9 minutes?? He wrote his name on the back of the cartridge with permanent marker. I donā€™t understand.

I went down into the city and sold my town's fabrics and immediately used it to buy a Thief Key and then broke into the Inn and took whatever thing was in there. Then I grinded a bit to take in the monster animation.

Then I thought, ā€œman, Iā€™d just play a game that was purely these battle mechanics. I should make that.ā€

And then I remembered that was basically Etrian Odyssey. So I saved DQVI and continued my Etrian Odyssey Untold 2 game. I have to finish the story mode so I can make my original party in party mode or whatever the non-story mode is! Itā€™s kind of a slog though I always get charmed by the writing when I get back into the game.

ETRIAN ODYSSEY THREAD NOW j/k

1 Like

Speaking of DQā€™s battle system: one thing thatā€™s really charming about it is how the enemies donā€™t always attack. They can just observe the situation, break into song, make a scary face, do a silly dance, or lots of other mundane but interesting actions that give them lots of personality. Earthbound takes this idea and really runs with it, and itā€™s a shame not a lot of other RPGS do so.

Tonally, it makes monsters slightly goofy and might make battles not as serious, but something like that could be adjusted in the writing. Imagine if Fallout/Batman/Asscreed/whatever is the popular game of the moment had enemy encounters when suddenly the monster would sit back and dance at you to try and hypnotize you.

Well, that wouldnā€™t work so well in full action games because youā€™d inevitably just try and shoot/slice/punch the enemy in the head while itā€™s doing nonsense. Itā€™d still be ridiculous and charming though.

Someone make a Fallout/Skyrim/whatever mod to incorporate random enemy behaviors like this!

Shoot, we should put this into Indivisible. BRB reporting this idea to the team.

7 Likes

Iā€™m replying to you @Persona because I think you nailed something amazing, but you didnā€™t let yourself go far enough.

I think that this makes battles far more than just fights but real, genuine encounters. Pokemon uses this a lot in the wild to give the Pokemon personalities. Final Fantasy has enemies that once engaged might just run away. This is used to a great extent in the MonHun, Elder Scrolls, etc. Hell, Grand Theft Auto V.

3 Likes

Itā€™s also great, because the tendency to want to resolve to the I gives it a propulsive feel. The jingle is for recruiting a new party member - letā€™s get out there! The adventure is just beginning!

1 Like

sheesh, donā€™t get me started on the myriad masterstrokes present in sugiyama scores

1 Like

No I think Iā€™d rather like to get you started.

1 Like

Speaking of which, no matter what trailer it is, I always get tingles whenever the title theme plays and it gets to the march part right after the opening horns or strings or whatnot. Such a great song no matter how many times I hear it, in whatever permutation it appears in.

Itā€™s really weird in Dragon Quest Heroes how it starts with ā€œMonsters and Humans lived side-by-side, but now? GENOCIDE.ā€

Yeah, DQ Heroes is a really weird game, both as a DQ game and as a Dynasty Warriors game. I have a lot of fondness for the strangeness of the mashup, though.