FUCK YEAH DRAGON QUEST (Part 1)

Dear Squareenix, please hire me to make a high res Dragon Quest 2d fighter. I’ll animate every Slime family member with gelatinous glory.

Oh true, Monster Hunter is the full application of this idea animated in real time combat! They respond to your attacks, your very presence, your sounds, or they get hungry, get scared by other enemies, get called or work together with other enemies, laugh and scream and do their little dances/florishes.

So glad you brought up that point! I would’ve honestly missed this.

1 Like

Please tell them I promise to buy TWO copies of your DQ Slime Fight Mori Mori! game.

As an English-speaking DQ player, part of the charm of the more modern titles (DQ8+, the DS remakes) is the really fun and mildly goofy localization. Stuff like silly pun monster names go so well with smiling enemies who might choose to run away or just stand there. I can’t imagine even the original Japanese games to have quite the same sort of cheerfulness as the consistently excellent localized versions.

Also, if anyone is interested in hearing a pretty great podcast about the entire DQ series, check out this episode of Retronauts from earlier this year (recorded before the surprising announcement of DQ7&8 DS localized versions). Spent an hour and a half of a plane ride listening to it over the holidays, it was a good way to pass the time!

1 Like

The problem of DQVI is that it just lacks charms, and after V being so neat in terms of story/setting, it’s just kinda generic in VI. It’s still enjoyable enough, but it never grabbed my attention like IV and MOST DEFINITELY V did.

I remember reading that the monsters are even more micromanage-y, unless they took that out of the DS version. I didn’t bother messing with monsters much in V so no cluse on that.

Hmm, maybe I didn’t know what I was getting into with the DQVI monsters then. I haven’t really gotten to the monster stuff much yet though. DQV’s LOOKED more monster-heavy, but maybe that’s just because there are a lot more of them to recruit and VI’s slimes are more in depth?

I haven’t reached the big plot point where the game changes and opens up immensely though (I do know that’s a thing)… so perhaps my mood will change then. But for now it’s roughly the same sort of experience as DQIV, without the character specific intro portions prior to the party joining up. Gathering a party, following the linear quest, etc.

I’ve reached the point of classes opening up to me though, and I’m fine with that. It’s a manageable grind, and feels to me like I can actually do all I want as opposed to DQIX’s doubling down on that aspect and becoming overwhelmingly grind-heavy to level up the different jobs (where I kind of lost my way in that game).

Will see how it goes! I’m committed to it now so I guess I can provide some running commentary and tell you whether I come to agree with the anti-DQVI view as I progress.

I get so confused by people describing DQ as pick up and put down play. Every town (for the most part) reuses the same tiles and NPCs. If there are multiple worlds there is only very very minor cosmetic differences between them.

Unless i was playing it three times a day every day I feel like the 10-20 minute chunks would be impossible because it would always start with “what am I doing?”

That is why I gave up on DQIV and pretty much the whole series.

Party chat is pretty helpful to remind you where you were. And the NPCs generally focus a lot on talking about your next story objective. Also, I’m perfectly fine following a walkthrough (and bookmarking/noting where I was) to remind me of my current position, so I don’t really have too much trouble remembering.

But yeah if you lost steam on DQIV, we might just be incompatible in matters of DQ (sorry Rudie!). In which case perhaps I can completely disregard your distaste for VI as any indication of how I’ll end up feeling about it. I became obsessed with DS DQIV to the point where I got myself pretty much a 100% save - full monster book, max gear, etc. (though I didn’t get max exp for all characters or 99 of every item or anything like that). Bravely Default job leveling makes me feel the exact same way as DQ, for whatever that’s worth.

The small chunks comes into play when just grinding out some exp, leveling a new class, perhaps leveling a monster (but like I said, I’m not there yet in VI and don’t have a lot of experience with V). It’s also a good game to idly play while doing something else - half watching a movie, on a work phone call, on public transportation or waiting for someone for 10 minutes, etc. Then I’ve trained my party, so that when I have a longer time to play I tackle a dungeon or do some story progress.

Also, I played like 5 hours a year of DQVII for… oh, 8 years? Play a few hours, put it away, remember the game MONTHS later. I do have some issue getting off track in other RPGs, but for some reason it doesn’t seem to affect me much with DQ. Never did finish it on PSX though. I’m sure I will in the DS remake that I hear is more streamlined.

1 Like

Would y’all recommend Heroes if I like Dragon Quest but have a secondhand weariness of Dynasty Warriors? Is it like… EDF?

This wouldn’t be a question if it were a hunting game instead of musou.

i haven’t played dq heroes, but jusging by the gundam and hokuto no ken warriors games, the licenced spin-offs do tend to have a different feel to each other and to the mainstream warriors games.

I only played a tiny bit but seemingly DQ Heroes’ gimmick is that it occasionally can be a tower defense game. Which, admittedly, is a pretty natural fit for musou mechanics. But you’re still running around slaughtering a bunch of brainless enemies deftly.

Pretty much what notbov said. I can sell you the J version for 25!

Oh man, it would be so sweet if there was a Reginleiv/DQ crossover of some sort.

If that’s the PS4 version that sounds like a deal. PM me yr PayPal.

Still at DQ5

You go adventuring with your spouse and then your offspring

This is a cool thing

Videogames need more families

4 Likes

yeah DQ5 just does that like it’s no big deal

I wonder if it’d have made an impression if it had been localized back in 92

Yea, and the fact you can bring Saber along means you can fight with your family pet too! gives me some feels thinking back on beating that game last year.

Our family pet is a golem

…and it lets you recruit neighborhood cats to form an army at your command, just like in real life!

1 Like

Been slowly playing my way up through this series in mobile/portable form. i just finished DQ3SFC the other day (may or may not get around to the bonus dungeon). It’s still easily in my top 3 for the series (3, 5, 8). Just stellar balance and a well-designed world that is fun to open up and explore. the endgame in Alefgard always pleases me too, it’s the precursor to PKMN G/S/C opening up Kanto after the Elite Four. Like hey, haven’t gotten enough of this game you’re playing? Here’s a whole bonus extra game!

DQ5DS is mostly a great port, but misses perfection because they really flop on that joke where Pappas/Pankraz accidentally walks down a stairwell. Also because Pankraz is just a terrible name.

Will always be Papas/Pappas forever to me.

Well, at least they aren’t the spanish-localized names, where he’s inexplicably named Teudis (?!)

…yeah